More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 17:43:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem  (Read 13985 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem
« Reply #25 on: 2007 October 17, 21:46:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You actually sound (from posts) like you're more 'puter savvy than I am, so I can't imagine you'd have much trouble with this.
Meh. Bits and pieces. I'm good at figuring out programming due to learning BASIC when I was 8 (most of which I've forgotten). I know enough to be dangerous in COBOL, and I used to program games in this weird RPG maker program, which was sort of similar to C++ programming. I'm good at looking at things and breaking them down, then putting them back together. When I was four or five, my parents' easy way to amuse me was to give me something slightly complicated (like a lawnchair with the woven backs), a screw driver, and let me tear it apart and remake it. Now I'm more artsy, though I will randomly do home repairs and rewire lamps for kicks.

I forget exactly what Diva2 (my last laptop) had as specs. I know it was 512 mb RAM, the card was mid-to-low range, and it overheated like a polar bear in Argentina. I had Sims2 + Nightlife on it. In base-game, it was s-l-o-w. The Tests (first Sims1 family, first Sims2 family) had that house that apparently no one likes...the Maxis tiny cabin...as a starter, and it was just Chuck and Saish at that point. In the time it took them to walk down one flight of stairs and sit on the couch, I could go to the restroom. It took about 40 minutes for the game to load up. On Addison (current desktop) it took about 2 minutes before I crammed him full of content. The graphics were maxed by default. I seriously almost cried. I'd been second-guessing spending so much money on a comp (cheap am I) but at that moment, it was totally worth it. Total geek hard-on.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 October 18, 01:35:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, I play TS2 with all EPs including BV with 512 mb RAM with no problem. I have a 2.4 ghz intel celeron processor, an intel eXtreme onboard graphics card (yes, I am using a laptop. I know, my game simply shouldn't run, but she's sturdy and tough as nails so she manages). And I have just under a gig of CC. Sure, my load times are long but it's not that bad. I've heard some people talking about waiting 30 minutes or more to go from the desktop to the lot. I might wait about that long if I've just deleted all of my thumbnails.package files, but not typically. Obviously my computer is teh suck and a better computer would be better (duh), but have some consideration and respect for those of us who are less fortunate.  Wink

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2007 October 18, 02:00:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've only got 640 mb RAM, all SPs and EPs, plenty of CC, and I can see the stupid movie things (they're turned off though, because they're annoying).  I do have another 512 that I'm waiting for hubby to install, and I'm pretty excited about it.  I'm going to send all of my sims to the mall at the same time.

You know the thing I've found that sucks up the most RAM is the UI transparency.  Turn that sucker off and it makes a huge difference. 

So does RAM have to do with loading times too?  If so, that's good news.  I'm waiting anywhere from 4-8 minutes between lots since BV.

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 October 18, 02:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is all subjective. What one person would consider "running smooth as silk" because it's all they've ever know, another person would consider lag-city.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 October 18, 03:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know the thing I've found that sucks up the most RAM is the UI transparency.  Turn that sucker off and it makes a huge difference. 

So does RAM have to do with loading times too?  If so, that's good news.  I'm waiting anywhere from 4-8 minutes between lots since BV.

I've never heard the UI transparency thing before, that's a really great tip! Thanks for sharing. I'll try it out when I play tomorrow.

I believe that RAM impacts load times, particularly since my game's RAM usage spikes during load times. But I'm sure that processor speed and graphics card (well, I'm not sure if this counts as technically during the load time, but if you have a shitty graphics card you might get as much as about 10 seconds of black screen while the lot tries to display. On really big complicated lots I get the black screen for a second or two) are also relevant factors.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 October 18, 03:23:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Jelendra: Yes, it does prolong the load times, but only the first loading of a lot in a neighborhood. I have to delete the thumbnails, because for some reason my computer believes that shaking things up a bit is entertainment. I have the oddest things happen in the catalog and in CAS if I don't do that. Go figure

@ Kat. That is basically very logical, but my daughter has a gaming computer that kicks serious butt. I installed the sims (not BV, and I don't have any StuffPacks.) just to see how big the difference was, and they run the same way as they do on my old coot. At any rate, if it were a pain in the ass to play TS2, I wouldn't play it. They don't move jerkily, no lag, other than what I said earlier, and the whole game loads in about 4 minutes. Not that I would mind getting a bit more RAM, but buying anything right now would be a waste of money.

Come to think of it, she doesn't need her other computer anymore, now does she? Her old computer has 1GB of RAM.... Now where did I put that screwdriver...

I thought I had finally dealt my old coot the death blow with BV because the audio weirdness, but it seems that this happens even on super computers. It happened on my daughter's computer as well. She did uninstall them after I did my checking upping (bad daughter, bad bad daughter Smiley). She is not interested in the sims at all. She's more of a WoW, turn-based RPG, Oblivion kind of gamer.

Edited: because I also want to thank Darcee for the tip. I never thought of that. Oh, and I also turn off the neighbors. I don't know how much it helps, but it has to help some. And in that way, Kat is most certainly right. I would love to have shadow, reflections, and neighbors, but that has to wait until next year.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 18, 03:31:42 by veilchen » Logged

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 October 18, 04:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NEEDS MOAR RAMS.

@Jelenedra: Because the stupid game frequently corrupts those files, deleting them sometimes clears up gameplay oddities. But yes, it does slow down loadtime a bit, as all the thumbnails have to regen. If I recall correctly.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 October 18, 15:00:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I usually play with neighbors and decorations off. I didn't know about the UI  transparency gimmick though. I'mma hafta try that when I get my PC reformatted. I dunno how big a difference it makes, but I leave the shadows on a lower setting too. (I like having them, but I don't see a big difference most of the time between the lower setting and the higher one) It only seems to affect objects casting shadows rather than the lighting shadows.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 October 18, 15:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

UI transparancy on or off makes absolutely no difference looks-wise. Well, it does...for a tiny little strip of the UI that you wouldn't be trying to look through anyways. I didn't notice any performance boost by turning it off, but then I only have a bit of lag on one lot...and I've decided it's normal sunburn on/sunburn off lag.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: