More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 17, 02:53:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Need Help Understanding Object Error
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need Help Understanding Object Error  (Read 3172 times)
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Need Help Understanding Object Error
« on: 2006 July 30, 22:44:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying to track down what is causing this error. I don't understand the error logs very well, but I usually understand them enough to know what object or mod is causing a problem.

This object error refers to the car portal. It was generated by a teen visitor who was standing in the livingroom at the time. One of the teens that live in the house was dancing to the car stereo just prior to this, but was having a pillow fight when the error was generated.

No one was planning on leaving the house, especially in the car. The car is a custom mesh so if it is causing the error I would like to report it to the creator and remove it from my game.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 31, 03:08:59 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Need Help Understanding Object Error
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 31, 01:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea what this could be. It's doing something funny with NIDs that causes the code to barf, that's all I can tell. Does it happen regularly, or is it just a random one-time occurrence?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 31, 02:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I happened a couple of times, but I haven't seen the error before today. The second time it happened, two teens got home from school and put their homework on their desk. One teen then generated this error, but the other did not. The car was not on the lot at the time as the father had it at work with him.

I removed the custom car from the lot and so far haven't seen the error again....yet. I'm still watching.

So far the portal seems fine. Also, I have TwoJeffs portal monitor in the game and it hasn't popped up saying anything yet.

Sorry for the stupidity, but what are NID's? I've seen it referred to before, but can't remember.

Currently I am testing a food item for Numenor that has been causing problems with autonomous cooking. The food error quit today with the new file he sent me, but then this new error has started. Any possibility the two are related? I didn't want to send him unrelated errors.

EDIT Hmm... similar error also generated by a teen living on the lot when he finished his homework. But now it is the pedestrial portal. The custom car is gone and a regular Maxis car is on the lot. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

These are new errors, not seen before today, and the only new item in the game is the food I am testing. But I don't want to tell someone their food is generating portal errors if it isn't even possible. I also notice that every time I have received these portal errors today, it has been generated by a teen.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 31, 03:09:10 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 31, 03:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

An NID is a number representing the global "neighborhood" identifier of a given sim. When the stack object is used to store an NID, error logs will display random, irrelevant objects because the number is not actually referring to an object, but error logs always interpret it as one.

It is not known why you are experiencing errors attempting to retrieve the aspirational level of a teen. But since it involves teens, I'm inclined to blame the Kitten Killer.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 31, 03:17:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It looks like you might have some unawesome hack related to playing instruments. In both cases, it is running a Perform Interaction which looks like it is incorrectly referencing Aspiration. Well, at least it seems incorrect to me. I haven't actually looked at those BHAVs, but I don't know why performing an instrument would depend on a sims aspiration.

NIDs are neighbour IDs. All objects in the game have an object ID for whenever that object is instantiated on the current lot. Sims are considered objeccts by the game. As I understand it, neighbor IDs are just another type of reference id, but it is also a way to refer to sims that may not necessarily be on the lot i.e. they are 'off-world' or exist in the neighborhood or in your game... but currently are not physically present/visible.

The thing is... the stack object is often set to the neighbor id in many BHAVs. However... the Object name is not necessarily the actual 'object' that is currently set as the 'stack object' The NID might coincide with the OBJECT ID of a totally different object. That's why in your error log, you might see the 'object name' referring to something totally unrelated (in these cases you saw a Car Portal and a Pedestrian Portal). This is only coincidence and this DOES NOT mean that your portals are causing the problem. To find out for sure what the actual object is, you would have to use the object id that is linked to the neighbor id or have a dialog box that prints out the value of $neighbor instead of $object. It is most likely the NID of a sim.

But I still think it is some unawesome hack rather than the sim data. I would check for any hacks that affect instruments and find out if it needs to be updated for your most recent EP. Or maybe you are using a version that is newer than your EP? Either way, always make sure the hacks you use are compatible with your specific configuration/combination of EPs.

Ste

Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 31, 03:59:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you both for taking the time to help me sort this out. I do have "No playing instruments if Creativity is Maxed" by Monique. It's the only mod I have related to instruments.  I will pull that mod to see if the errors stop.

That could also be why only the teens were having errors. The adults were already maxed out in creativity and so were not playing any instruments. The first error with the visiting teen could have been because he was lusting after the musical instruments which I keep behind a locked door that only family can go through.

I wonder why I never saw the error before today? Anyway, I would have never even looked in that area if it weren't for your help. Thanks again.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 31, 04:58:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As usual, it is the work of the non-awesome. Case closed.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: