More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 07, 17:26:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6517 Members
Latest Member: zebez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Reinstalling Sims 2 on a new computer -- is there an easy way to do it?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reinstalling Sims 2 on a new computer -- is there an easy way to do it?  (Read 2946 times)
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Reinstalling Sims 2 on a new computer -- is there an easy way to do it?
« on: 2007 September 06, 00:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My new computer should arrive in a week or so and I'm hoping there's an easier way to reinstall Sims 2 on the new computer than digging out all the disks and installing them one by one. I have all the expansions plus a couple stuff packs and I'm not sure I know where all the disks are. Is it possible to move the game by copying over all the directories and adding stuff to the registry?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Reinstalling Sims 2 on a new computer -- is there an easy way to do it?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 06, 01:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just install the game from discs.  You really don't want to try creating the registry keys fresh.  If you can't find an EP or SP, visit PB for a backup. 

Alternatively, there are programs available which claim to be able to move programs from one computer to another.  However, I've heard that these file transfer programs are generally not very reliable when it comes to sizable applications.
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 06, 02:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's worth noting that while the actual game files are best reinstalled by disc, if you can zip up your My Documents/EA Games folder and send it to the new computer that should help somewhat.  You'll still have to load and patch each disc normally, but at least you won't have to start the whole bloody game from scratch.
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 06, 11:28:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I was afraid of that. Thanks though.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 06, 11:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had to do it recently, yet again, this time because I needed to reinstall Windows.  I found it helped having the DVD for Sims 2 itself, also for Pets.  The most annoying part is having to copy over all those keys off the booklets in the case - especially if you get one digit wrong.....However, I think it only took me about an hour including patching as I went, to get up to Pets.  The longest bit was redownloading Seasons as I'd forgotten to save the cached game files before I did the reinstall.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: