More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 17:28:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sorry for sounding like a dolt. Question about aging_off and birth and stuff
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sorry for sounding like a dolt. Question about aging_off and birth and stuff  (Read 15170 times)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Sorry for sounding like a dolt. Question about aging_off and birth and stuff
« Reply #25 on: 2006 January 31, 11:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You only need the Hotfix. Everything else, including the flavour packs, is optional. Myself I use the 'college admissions' flavour pack, and the no teen jobs for elders mod.

The "No Teen Jobs for Elders" gives elders access to the real careers rather than the crappy teen careers, I believe it works much like Pescado's version except this one also affects the newspaper. Probably best to use this one rather than Pescado's if you use the inTeen.

The No Adult to Elder Anti-Aging will have your elders still look like adults. But only if you have it ingame before they transition IIRC.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: Sorry for sounding like a dolt. Question about aging_off and birth and stuff
« Reply #26 on: 2006 January 31, 11:28:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah ha, sounds like I've got everything I need. (I'm sure to want a flavour pack sooner or later and this early in the am, for me, is a good time to dl Smiley Thanks again!

I wish Maxis would make the elder transition slow... you know, salt&pepper hair, a few wrinkles etc. before they get all the way there. I've got skins and the like to do it that way, but it's difficult.

Anyways, off to work. Thanks again for your help.

Unsouper
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 January 31, 11:42:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the whole famn damily living at Uni, and producing offspring. With inteen, of course. Oh, and the risky woohoo is quite risky. That's how sim me ended up with a billion kids.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 January 31, 14:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

C'mon. Fufill the wants, get the aspiration points and drink a tank of elixer if you want them to live longer. You're going to wind up turning on the aging anyway.

Instant gratification takes too long.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 January 31, 22:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sagana, if you feel brave enough to install the inTeenimator, you can have families at uni. It requires a bit more fiddling around to get people into lots, but it's quite do-able.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when it came time to move home from college; the two "oopsie" children automatically went with their mother and no hassles. I didn't try moving them between different college lots, though.

Never had a kid at Uni before this, but I did have an odd glitch with the graduation of the last batch; finally threw a party at graduation for once and invited the Sim's younger brother and sister, who are children. I had a bunch of Sims graduating without saves, and so of course the Nuke Stuck Graduation option came up, similar to when you pay the bills but they haven't been picked up yet, and I used it, thinking it was stuck Tongue The Sims who'd already graduated appeared by the box, which was in an inaccessible place, and a few of them had passed out or wet themselves by the time I noticed and set them free.

Anyway, for some reason the child guests at the party were there too, and once their brother had graduated they ended up in the lot bin with him. Luckily I was plopping them all back at home anyway...
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 February 02, 01:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1) teens are (sometimes?) unable to leave for college if there are younger siblings present
Teens can't move out to college and orphan a child, toddler, or baby, if there's nobody over 18 who is present in the home to watch them (that person must physically be ON the lot - part of the household and away at work/school doesn't qualify).  This check was added to prevent 18+ teens who moved out on their own with a baby, from inadvertantly abandoning their child on the lot.

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 February 02, 06:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but even if there *is* a guardian I often can't get them to leave. I had to hack the nanny check in inteenimator_b so it always returned 'true' to send my teens off.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 February 02, 06:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So to easily answer your question:

- Sims can get pregnant while aging is off
- They will grow belly
- They will give birth
- Baby won't age unless you put aging back on or you use a cheat to make them age but still need to put aging on before you make them age since even with a cheat they won't grow up if aging is off (except maybe with inteen, I don't use it so I have no idea).

As for teen.. (though it might have been a bug).. NEVER use the phone option to send a teen to college IF it is the ONLY living Sim in a house... (in other words the teen lives alone in a house) the lot gets buggy (blue square was around it) and you cannot load it anymore... I had to delete the lot since I could not load it.  If you use the option in the neighborhood view instead it does not seem to cause any problems.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 February 02, 17:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That makes sense is a weird sort of way.  For example you can't use the "find own place" to move everyone out of a lot.  The game will tell you to use the move family option in the neighourdhood view.    They probably never planned for a teen to be living alone and moving to college, there is no warning message, and the whole thing just craps out.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 February 03, 05:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ophelia was living alone when I sent her to college.  Her aunt is set to die in 2 days when Strangetown starts out.  I can't remember how long Ophelia has, but it was like 2-3 days.  I aged her back a week and had her work on scholarships, and she got the Orphan Assistance scholarship.  I had her ask Johnny to move in right before she left for college so the money wouldn't just go poofies.  He is set to transition to adulthood on his lot, so I had him go ahead and grow up.  He kept the house for her while she was away at college, then she moved back in when she graduated, at which point they got married.  Obviously they didn't have Uni in mind when they set up Strangetown for the base game.
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 February 04, 00:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but even if there *is* a guardian I often can't get them to leave.
At the surface, that would seem like a bug then.  If you have a case that reproduces well for you, PM the scenario to me and I'll have a look at it in what little free time I have these days Smiley.  Include the ages of all sims on the lot, the family/lot you were playing (if its a Maxis created family), whether any vistors/NPC's are present at the time, whether any sims that are part of the household was "away" at work or school at the time, and which (if any) of the flavor paks installed.

Simmiecal (if you're following this thread), seems like you had this problem during one of the earlier NL betas.  I don't think I was ever able to reproduce...or maybe we tracked it down to a mod conflict.  It was quite some time ago.  Do you remember the outcome of that (if any).
« Last Edit: 2006 February 04, 00:21:44 by jase » Logged

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 February 04, 00:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the surface, that would seem like a bug then.  If you have a case that reproduces well for you, PM the scenario to me and I'll have a look at it in what little free time I have these days

For someone not supporting the mod, you're doing a lot of support :) (this is meant as gentle teasing :)

I'm quite enjoying it and not having any problems at all, btw. Works as advertised, my uni kids are being so much fun, I was rather suprised to realize Isaakios only has a semester left. Thank you very much.

Unsouper
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 February 04, 01:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shrug* I don't actually mind helping people who are able and willing to do a little legwork to help themselves.  My free time isn't what it was, but I keep my eyes out for anything that looks like it might be legitimate and worth following up on.  If and when the spirit moves me I may (or may not) poke at those issues.  It's the mindless droning over and over...the same issues...that have been answered this way, that way, and twice on Sundays that I want no part of.  What little time I have to put towards the mod, I would prefer to be productive.  If I can find people who are willing to provide quality feedback, then issues are are readily resolved, and so are worth the effort. 

I've dialed it way back, however (and life has become infinitely more enjoyable since).  I think I've looked at the code maybe twice since Christmas...once to do that scholarship hotfix, and again to look at a potential mod conflict with one of TJ's mods  (also fixed).  My creed is, "Hope for the best and expect nothing...and most of all...never look a gift horse in the mouth Smiley". 

Anyway, I'm off to kill kittens...

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 February 04, 02:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Simmiecal (if you're following this thread), seems like you had this problem during one of the earlier NL betas.  I don't think I was ever able to reproduce...or maybe we tracked it down to a mod conflict.  It was quite some time ago.  Do you remember the outcome of that (if any).

I was not able to reproduce the bug either after I had upgraded to newer and shinier versions of the mod. I think - at least in my case - part of the problem was that I hadn't paid attention in the RTFM when it said not to upgrade versions while there were pregnant teens. In the case I had where Broke and Pleasant couldn't move out, the Pleasant twins had been pregnant with Dustin's kids. That would explain why the Pleasant twins might have had a problem, but not sure about Dustin as he was living on another lot. In Dustin's case, when I couldn't move him out, Brandi had been at work but his stepfather had been present on the lot. I had used Inge's shrub to summon the step-father, marry Brandi and then used the move-in option so maybe something wasn't set right to show the stepdad actually living on the lot? When you recreated the scenerio it worked fine for you and when I recreated it (after upgrading Inteen in a new "virgin" neighborhood) I didn't have the problem again.

The only other thing that I can remember with this, and another poster at that same time was having a conflict, we both had JM's clothingtool in the download folder at the time of the problem. Is any one else with the move out problem also using JM's clothingtool? I've since learned that there is a conflict between the clothingtool and Inteen, so even though I really like JM's clothing tool, I lurve!! Inteen so I've pulled the clothingtool mod.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 February 04, 04:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What was the conflict with the clothing tool?
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 February 04, 04:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was some really arcane/obscure conflict in the move out code that took some tracking down, but the long and short of it is that JM's clothing tool comes with 2 packages: a base package and a second "optional" package for uni that overrides a handful of global bhavs.  It's this second one that conflicts with InTeen and interferes with the whole college move-in/out logic.  I think it was katemonster that had experienced that issue.  Maybe that's what's going on here in Jordi's case also.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 04, 05:33:28 by jase » Logged

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 February 04, 04:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok.  The uni part is cool, but I might be able to live without it as long as I could still use the main part.  I am still trying to decide, reading about what others are doing, and finding out what I need to know before using it.  Until then, though, another kitten will live. Cheesy
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 February 04, 05:00:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the clothing tool without the global file and it doesn't conflict with inteen. Works just fine.

Be your own fish.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 February 04, 16:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jase: you're right. Somehow the clothing tool globals package resurfaced in my folder.
Taking it out solves the issue (at least it seems so).

If I come across this bug again I'll try saving right before, so I can do some better testing (I'm maybe too quick to jump into SimPE to fix issues myself).
jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 04, 23:06:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for letting me know, Jordi.  I was really surprised by this conflict when it first surfaced...you would not ordinarily think of a clothing hack having anything to do with the move out logic, but in this case, there is an overlap.  In either event, it seems like the meat of JM's clothing mod is in the first package anyway, so many may not even notice the absence of the other.

God just killed another kitten.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 05, 00:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jordi, did you install the Director's Cut?  Perhaps it snuck in that way.

I think the only thing you'll miss without the globals package is being able to pick clothes for Uni graduates before they return home.  You'll just have to do it after they move into their new place (or back home with Mom and Dad if you have no 20k handouts.)

God bless the kittens.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: