More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 07:22:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxis agrees with Laurenke
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxis agrees with Laurenke  (Read 78114 times)
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
Maxis agrees with Laurenke
« on: 2005 August 02, 11:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess Maxi believes blue eyes really are superior.  Are there ANY darker skinned Maxis sims with brown eyes?  Every black Maxis person my sims have met has those blue/gray eyes.  It bugs the crap out of me.  I don't mind some (a few) having blue or gray eyes, it looks striking on Dirk Dreamer, for example, but come on!  That's not the usual color for people of color.  And it's not like you can just change them later in the mirror, although there is sim-surgery through SimPE, but that would be a pain to do for all of them....

Chris

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: Maxis agrees with Laurenke
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 02, 12:06:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that, too, and find it annoying. It's very unnatural. I don't think I've had a single dark-skinned sim with dark eyes yet. I have to give them colored contacts. What is wrong with this picture?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 02, 12:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's several reasons involved: Firstly, in real life, eye, hair, and skin colors are genetically linked traits, not independent, as they are in the game. Secondly, the Dreamer family is clearly not of primarily African descent: Their facial features are more European, not Negroid. My guess is that they're probably Middle Eastern, or North African, judging from the names of some of their ancestors, areas with a great deal of contact with the European world. And finally, the townies generated are basically a random selection of colorations, and don't actually have an ethnicity at all. If you want any ethnic anythings in your game, you're going to have to do it yourself. It's worth noting that the game probably is the least adept at producing Orientals. There's also the fact that the dark blue is dominant and often rather persistent, as well as quite striking, so when you don't get the expected brown, you notice.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 02, 12:12:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if they are Middle Eastern, Puerto Rican, Hawaiian, Central American, Mexican, etc..... those people usually have brown eyes.  So are there any light skinned Maxis sims with brown eyes?  If it is a random assortment of colors, you'd think some would get those browns.... And I always thought that brown was dominant.  But blue is?   Huh

Chris

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 02, 12:17:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ivy Copur (the adult, dark-skinned one, not the teenaged one) is a prime example of the european-featured dark-skinned blue-eyed sim. And the only orientals I've seen in the game are Pao Mellon (the mailman) and possibly Mary Sue Pleasant. Not sure about her, but I think she looks somewhat oriental. The fact that I can't tell says something, I guess. All of my more ethnic characters in the game are home-grown.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 02, 12:48:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just started the surrounded by idiots challenge.  My torch holder is getting married to Mary Aj;diufajwejriayep from Strangeville.  She has negroid features with a broad nose and larger lips, but still, the gray eyes.  She's really rather pretty and I can't wait to give her some brown contacts.

Chris

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 02, 13:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Certainly where I come from (UK) the most common eye colour is blue or blue/grey, which is what mine are.  I'm your typical 'English Rose' - blue eyes, very pale skin and very dark brown, almost black, hair (I'd make a great vampire). I have to admit that I've always thought that blue were more dominant than brown, simply because I rarely see anyone with brown eyes and then they're nearly always African or Asian.  Here it's mainly various shades of blue and grey, either separately or combined.  In fact, having just checked on Google, it appears that England (where I live) has the highest rate of blue eyes in the world, namely 90% of the population, which explains why I always thought they were dominant!  Now I am going to have to find out why we have the highest rate of blue eyes in the world.  I mean, 90% and they're supposed to be recessive?  That's very interesting ...
« Last Edit: 2005 August 02, 13:20:06 by Ancient Sim » Logged

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Noukie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 02, 13:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed this too.
Caucasian facial structure, black skin, green, grey or blue eyes.
Hardly any asian types found, except one mailman and the Mary-Sue chick Sad
So I just make my own. I grab townies who walk by, change their facial structures to be a bit more authentic to the race I 'think' they are, and send them on their way again. Then I make it genetical with simpe.
I haven't figured out how to create contacts (I want to make my own), but when I do, I'll change their eyes too.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 02, 13:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My grandfather had brown eyes.  My grandmother had blue.  My mom has blue, my aunt has brown.  My dad is blue also, I'm blue and my brother.  My husband is blue with some flecks of greenish gold.  I have six children.  2 of them started gray and turned a greenish/brown, getting more brown every year.  3 of them have BLUE eyes and one has yet to settle her color.  Hmmm.  I love those brown eyes though.  Prolly a case of we always want what we can't have.  Almost all my CAS sims have brown eyes.

Chris

Noukie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 02, 13:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ ancient sim:

That's interresting! Let me tell you something about our family Smiley
My mother is black, with the darkest brown eyes possible. My father is white, with blue/grey eyes.
My sister has light brown eyes and 'tanned' skin. She is the prettiest one, I love her eyes.
My brother has light brown eyes and brown skin. He looks like a real half-blood man, and all the girls like him Smiley
I have my mothers allmost black eyes, and lighter skin, like my sister. I look like I'm from the middle east Smiley

So our genetcis aren't always half/half, or my skin would be much darker, like my brother's, and I would have lighter eyes.

(Maybe I'm really adopted and Saddam Husseins grandchild or something.... EEEK)
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 02, 13:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have the answer now to why almost everyone in England is blue-eyed.  I mentioned this high percentage to my eldest son (blond, blue eyes) and after laughing himself silly at me thinking blue eyes were dominant, he said that the explanation for all the blue-eyed people here was probably down to Hitler.  He reckons Germany probably did invade England after all and 'planted something'. Well, he's a typical Arian, so maybe he's right!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 02, 13:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, well I guess I'm an anomoly on two counts.

Compleyely English - completely dark brown eyes, pale skin and naturally mousey brown hair.

Plus I was born with these big dark brown bug eyes of mine - which I am told is an anomoly.

A proud thread pirate.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 02, 13:54:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My grandfather had brown eyes.  My grandmother had blue.  My mom has blue, my aunt has brown.  My dad is blue also, I'm blue and my brother.  My husband is blue with some flecks of greenish gold.  I have six children.  2 of them started gray and turned a greenish/brown, getting more brown every year.  3 of them have BLUE eyes and one has yet to settle her color.  Hmmm.  I love those brown eyes though.  Prolly a case of we always want what we can't have.  Almost all my CAS sims have brown eyes.

Chris

Wow! I didn't know eye color continues to change throughout the childhood stage. Interesting. I think my most varied family (real life) would be that of my cousin. He has brown eyes and light brown hair and his (ex) wife had brown eyes and darker brown hair. Their oldest daughter is very blonde (naturally) with blue eyes, their middle child (another daughter) has brown hair and brown eyes, and their youngest, a son, has blond hair and brown eyes, which I've heard is a rare combination. My husband and I have almost the exact same color eyes (someone once called them "water-colored", kind of greenish blue) and my son has that exact color as well. No variety there.

As far as my sims go, I just had my first brown-eyed baby (quickly transformed into a child). Very exciting! He's Bella's grandson.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 02, 13:57:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, well I guess I'm an anomoly on two counts.

Compleyely English - completely dark brown eyes, pale skin and naturally mousey brown hair.

Plus I was born with these big dark brown bug eyes of mine - which I am told is an anomoly.

When I was little I wanted brown hair and brown eyes so badly. I lived in New Jersey for a few years where there is a large puerto-rican, italian and jewish population. My little blonde pigtails made me feel so different. Tongue
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 02, 14:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! I didn't know eye color continues to change throughout the childhood stage. Interesting.
When I was pregnant and reading lots of books about this sort of thing, it was always clearly stated that ALL babies are born with blue eyes and their natural colour can take two years to emerge.  As I recall, even Dr. Spock said that and he's American (or was, I think maybe he's been taken by the Reaper now).  Out of five children I only have one who doesn't have blue eyes, my second, who has hazel like her father.  Her eyes didn't change from blue until she was about 20 months old.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 02, 14:03:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! I didn't know eye color continues to change throughout the childhood stage. Interesting.
When I was pregnant and reading lots of books about this sort of thing, it was always clearly stated that ALL babies are born with blue eyes and their natural colour can take two years to emerge.  As I recall, even Dr. Spock said that and he's American (or was, I think maybe he's been taken by the Reaper now).  Out of five children I only have one who doesn't have blue eyes, my second, who has hazel like her father.  Her eyes didn't change from blue until she was about 20 months old.

My children's eyes have continued to change until about 10 years or so.  My oldest son is 14.  His eyes a few years ago were "army green" and they are now looking more brown than green.  My 10 year old daughter's eyes are now "army green".  And my toddler has the gray color that usually changes, and she is not yet three.  I think their eyes started turning green somewhere around 4 or 5 years old.  Weird.  I know it's not my imagination.  I have pictures..... in a box.....somewhere.....

Chris

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 02, 14:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I was pregnant and reading lots of books about this sort of thing, it was always clearly stated that ALL babies are born with blue eyes and their natural colour can take two years to emerge.  As I recall, even Dr. Spock said that and he's American (or was, I think maybe he's been taken by the Reaper now).  Out of five children I only have one who doesn't have blue eyes, my second, who has hazel like her father.  Her eyes didn't change from blue until she was about 20 months old.

I knew that babies are born with blue eyes and eventually change to their real color, but I didn't know it happened so late in childhood. I think if a child is going to have dark brown eyes, his/her eyes will be more of a darker gray-blue at birth. At least that's what my friend's children did. They're puerto-rican/italian/polish/jewish. 
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 02, 14:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so when do we get the mod that allows our Sim babies to start with grey/blue eyes and change when they transition to toddlers/kids???

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 02, 14:55:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My eyes can still change color, generally at will. I can make them go from brown to kind of reddish-glowy. It takes a lot of concentration and if I do it too much, I rupture a blood vessel and get an entirely red eye.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 02, 14:55:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, Maxis is racist...or maybe hairist...or eyeist...or something.  I have brown hair and blue eyes, so in the world of perfection, I'd be killed only half-way, I suppose.  

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 02, 15:31:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My eyes can still change color, generally at will. I can make them go from brown to kind of reddish-glowy. It takes a lot of concentration and if I do it too much, I rupture a blood vessel and get an entirely red eye.

And yet another reason our El Presidente is More Awesome Than All of Us.

Shocked (this is JMP turning his eyes a different color)

Chris

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 02, 15:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it was always clearly stated that ALL babies are born with blue eyes and their natural colour can take two years to emerge.

I guess I really am strange then. Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 02, 16:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Certainly where I come from (UK) the most common eye colour is blue or blue/grey, which is what mine are.  I'm your typical 'English Rose' - blue eyes, very pale skin and very dark brown, almost black, hair (I'd make a great vampire). I have to admit that I've always thought that blue were more dominant than brown, simply because I rarely see anyone with brown eyes and then they're nearly always African or Asian.  Here it's mainly various shades of blue and grey, either separately or combined.  In fact, having just checked on Google, it appears that England (where I live) has the highest rate of blue eyes in the world, namely 90% of the population, which explains why I always thought they were dominant!  Now I am going to have to find out why we have the highest rate of blue eyes in the world.  I mean, 90% and they're supposed to be recessive?  That's very interesting ...

Very interesting as I have dark brown eyes which makes me part of the 10% minority.  However having brown eyes is also very rare when combined with red hair (green eye alleles are normally paired with red hair and cross-linking is uncommon) making my father and I that extra bit special.  Cool Grin

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 02, 16:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Were you born with the brown eyes though?

A proud thread pirate.
HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 02, 16:22:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I'm aware, yes, however most babies tend to have blue eyes as you have mentioned.  My niece had very blue eyes but now her eyes are dark brown like mine.  The earliest photo I have with me, is me aged 9 months with brown eyes. 

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: