More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 23:02:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  graphics card?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: graphics card?  (Read 9649 times)
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
graphics card?
« on: 2005 August 09, 00:38:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I trust you guys FAR more than the BBSers, and navigating the BBS bugs me anyway, I thought I'd ask here.

My graphics card is decent (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX), but not great, and I think I'd like to get a good graphics card. Can anyone reccomend one, please? I'd like to keep costs about $150 at max, but I can go a little bit higher if necessary...

I don't know if you need them, but here's my system specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.1GHz
Memory: 768 MB RAM
Display: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (Chip: GeForce2 MX/MX400)

Thanks, and sorry if this isn't allowed here  Undecided
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
Re: graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 09, 00:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In keeping with the nVidia theme you have, I'd suggest this.  It's not the greatest, but it is far better than what you have now, and the price is right.  Of course, I'd really recommend a GeForce 6600 GT OC (what I have) for only $220, so if you want to save up a little more "dough," you could have your game (or any game, for that matter) run like a bat out of hell.

UPDATE: My local Wal*Mart actually sells these, come to think of it (the 5500).  I don't know if yours do, but it may be worth checking out, because it seems like they were cheaper there.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 09, 03:13:22 by laurenke » Logged

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 09, 05:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In keeping with the nVidia theme you have, I'd suggest this.  It's not the greatest, but it is far better than what you have now, and the price is right.  Of course, I'd really recommend a GeForce 6600 GT OC (what I have) for only $220, so if you want to save up a little more "dough," you could have your game (or any game, for that matter) run like a bat out of hell.

UPDATE: My local Wal*Mart actually sells these, come to think of it (the 5500).  I don't know if yours do, but it may be worth checking out, because it seems like they were cheaper there.

Hmmm... $220? I can spring that. I'll have to see if I can find one around town. I mean, if I'm spending as much as I will be getting a graphics card, I might as well get the better one.

Thanks very much!

UPDATE: Found a eVGA GeForce 6600 GT online for $169.99, plus $30.00 rebate. Done and done. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2005 August 09, 05:57:57 by laylei » Logged
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 09, 15:42:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're welcome.  Like I said, I just recently bought a new card, so this is kind of my thing for the time being (I did a lot of shopping around). 

So, can I have a bene?  [/Complete and total BBS sarcasm]

JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 09, 16:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ohhh I'm in the market for a new card too...may I ask where you found that good deal online? My husband and I were looking at the 5900 (NVidia as well) anyone have any thoughts on that one?

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 09, 16:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can have ALL my benes!!11! Sign my GB plz!!!!  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry [/Also Complete BBS Sarcasm]

(Too much?)
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 09, 16:24:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jenwarren:

My dad and I bought it from http://www.TigerDirect.com.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 09, 16:27:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TY! Heh heh, got my monitor from them a while back Grin

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 09, 16:37:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We were glad to find them! Circuit City had the card, but they were asking $249.99 with a $50 rebate! WAY more. Good thing Dad ordered me out of the chair and insisted on searching around for information and price.
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 09, 18:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad you got such a deal.  www.newegg.com has stuff, too, but I don't know a lot about their prices.

And I want a picture of your jaw dropping when you slap that card in your computer and play the game.

laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 09, 21:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad you got such a deal.  www.newegg.com has stuff, too, but I don't know a lot about their prices.

And I want a picture of your jaw dropping when you slap that card in your computer and play the game.

I can't wait. I uploaded my first chapter of my Legacy challenge last night, and was shocked at how blurry the pictures were, even though the quality is turned up to high. They looked better ingame... hopefully when my new card gets here, I'll have sharper pictures.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 09, 22:03:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmm...I could have swore there was a setting in SIMPE options regarding image and video quality. I will have to check again tonight, I think it was normally set to low in my game but I could change it. (I didnt, because I dont care, but I could if I wanted to)
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 09, 22:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmm...I could have swore there was a setting in SIMPE options regarding image and video quality. I will have to check again tonight, I think it was normally set to low in my game but I could change it. (I didnt, because I dont care, but I could if I wanted to)

Could be, but SimPE scares the crap out of me, so I try not to poke around in it except the Sim Browser, and that only to see aspirations or change relationships. SimPE is too technical for me. I miss SimEnhancer... it was like Sim Editing for Dummies.
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 09, 22:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is, I saw on TSR before but as far as I can remember it was clarified that Geforce 2 MX will not be affected by that. (I have the card myself and didn't bother doing it.)

There is Sims2Enhancer for Sims 2 as well as Uni, but you have to pay for it. Well, it isn't as expensive as this site which costs $29.95 a month!  Wink
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 09, 22:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its in Options, you dont even have to open a neighborhood, its the same place you remove the censor blur - you know the tool menu up top, look through each of those and find a selection called options.

But thats not going to change actual game performance, I was moreless commenting on the fact someone (gah..you - go ahead call me stoopid) stated that their ingame shots are shoddy, not clear etc. That sounds more like a resolution issue than a graphic card issue. (which you can adjust)
« Last Edit: 2005 August 09, 23:08:17 by nectere » Logged
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 10, 00:20:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could be, but SimPE scares the crap out of me, so I try not to poke around in it except the Sim Browser, and that only to see aspirations or change relationships. SimPE is too technical for me. I miss SimEnhancer... it was like Sim Editing for Dummies.

Laylei, I'm just about as inept when it comes to computers, but the newest version of SimPe is not all that bad. There are some good tutorials around, and a lot of people around here know how to work it. PosieFlump has a nice tutorial about memory editing in the "Resurrect Skip Broke" thread here, and Tazzman over at the SimPe home-site also has a tutorial (although its unfinished) that gives you the basics.  I don't use SimPe in my favorite neighborhood, but I do enjoy playing around with it.

The more in-depth features are for those who mod/mesh, those I stay away from however.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: