More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 15:34:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  "boolprop" Phobia
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "boolprop" Phobia  (Read 53860 times)
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
Re: "boolprop" Phobia
« Reply #50 on: 2006 March 09, 01:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My question is, why do people use certain hacks when simply using boolprop will do the same thing? (e.g. change personality, etc.)

I think a lot of it is a level of comfort. As I've gotten more used to using it *and* put aliases in my start-up.cheat file, I use certain hacks less. Also, sometimes I feel more comfortable with certain modders expertise when compared to my lack of it.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 2006 March 09, 01:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've played with it in my start-up file more or less ever since I bought the original game.  I'm totally used to it now and would hate to be without it.  I suppose I use it most for adjusting motive bars - it's especially useful for that at the moment, with everybody being reset by adding the expansion.  I can check the time, work out what their energy level should really be, and adjust it accordingly.  I'd hate to be without that facility, I take it totally for granted now.  Not that I use it willy-nilly, but in emergencies or to alter bodyclocks or whatever, it's invaluable.  Most of the other things on it I use via the Insim as it's easier.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 March 09, 02:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a reply from one of the Maxoids once, he confirmed that because I clicked 'delete' on a sim, the family was hosed.
Has this changed with later expansion packs? I always click 'reset' now. Luckily, it's never not worked for me.
Erroring and deleting a sim is no more harmful than deleting him with move_objects. He will respawn by the mailbox when you save/exit/reload.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 March 09, 02:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HAPPY 3100TH POST PESCADO!

There.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 March 09, 03:47:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

update on my Lot that got extremely slow.

Simmiecal, reminded me of about the NPC bug, which made me remember that I had cleaned out all the fugly Maxis townies from this hood, not currently using notownieregen since I put in those replacements that should improve the looks of new townies.

Well, this happened to be the first time I played a Lot that would call on some townies, which had to be spawned...so I wondered if they happened to get "stuck" on the Lot or something (certainly never saw any except for possibly 1) There was certainly a lot of new character files in the hood character folder that were "last modified" at the same time I saved the lot and then quit the game last night.

so anyway, I entered the Lot and used Inges teleportershrubplus to "clear off" all visitors right away and the Lot is fine now.  Smiley  I even added back most of the stuff I had removed including the stone fence and it was still ok  Grin

as for boolprop, I think it's mostly habit that makes people choose "it" or "hacks that do the same thing".

In my case, I found out about hacks first (thanks to a friend of mine who was trying to get me to buy the game) and I have never really known much about boolprop and frankly didn't care because I have my hacks, which are easier for me to remember how to use...ya my memory is usually extremely bad (due to long term illness) Most of the time I don't remember boolprop even exist!!  Tongue 

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 March 09, 12:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

as for boolprop, I think it's mostly habit that makes people choose "it" or "hacks that do the same thing".

In my case, I found out about hacks first (thanks to a friend of mine who was trying to get me to buy the game) and I have never really known much about boolprop and frankly didn't care because I have my hacks, which are easier for me to remember how to use...ya my memory is usually extremely bad (due to long term illness) Most of the time I don't remember boolprop even exist!!  Tongue 

Well it really irks me when someone simply takes one of the test objects from debug mode (aka "boolprop"  Roll Eyes ) and then posts it as a hack and people hail them as the second coming of Christ. They didn't really make anything and there's no point as far as I can see duplicating something that already exists in the game. Simply turning on debug mode will not cause any problems unless your game has problems to begin with and if it does you should know about it imo. And I'm using you and your collectively here, not aimed at you specifically Sleepycat.

Seriously, it takes all of 2 seconds to type 'boolprop testingcheatsenabled true', shift click on a sim, click more, click spawn, click more, then click the Sim Modder or Badge Juicer etc and then type boolprop 'testingcheatsenabled false' delete the cheat object when you are done or just leave it around. Takes less time to do than it does to download a hack and stick it in your downloads directory.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 March 09, 13:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love boolprop but there is no way on this earth I would let my kids use it, I let them at it once, (I entered the cheat for them) and they completely and utterly fu&ked the game.  They deleted EVERYTHING in sight, even their own babies..Whatever they did made me realise there should be parental guidance if the parent likes the Sims more than the kids do. Grin

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Zyrcona
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 March 09, 14:11:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only problem I have with testingcheatsenabled is that if something causes an error, it can start generating an endless loop of error messages that won't go away, and the only way to stop them is to type 'boolprop testingcheatsenabled false' one character at a time, clicking on the error messages between characters.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 March 09, 14:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only problem I have with testingcheatsenabled is that if something causes an error, it can start generating an endless loop of error messages that won't go away, and the only way to stop them is to type 'boolprop testingcheatsenabled false' one character at a time, clicking on the error messages between characters.
BoolProp has proved invaluable with frozen sims  and the  marriage action falling out of the to list of Icons in my sim's queue .the game itself generates dozen of error's all by itself that dont efect play.its the errors that effect play I want to see qnd boolprop allows me to see and sometimes correct the error by generating an error log

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 March 09, 15:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may find it easier to spend the time between messages getting to the pause button and clicking it. Once the game is paused the error messages will cease and you can turn off testing cheats without interruption.

MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 March 09, 15:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

a boolprop guide would be a nice thing to see  Grin

Raise my hand!  I second that.  There is a really good one out that I gave a link too in an earlier post but new options from UNI/Nightlife/OFB are not included in it.

There are some options in the testingcheats menu I have not the slittest idea what it is doing, and why do some have a * before it?

I could take notes of the one that give me the most interogations and post them in here.   One thing for sure, if I don't know what it will do, I don't try it or use it so I am probably missing on a lot of good options in there.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 09, 16:05:32 by MissDoh » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 March 09, 15:26:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought Delphy put up some sort of wiki guide about it when Tom first gave out that code. I don't know if it's still there though.

simposiast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 March 09, 17:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"boolprop" can mess up a game without actually breaking anything.

One way "boolprop" messes up a game is because it's easy to make instant irreversible changes.  When doing things the hard way people have plenty of time to think about what they are doing, change their minds, or stop half way if it isn't working out.  With boolprop it's click click oops!

It can also mess up a game because a lot of the fun is in the travel not the destination. Rushing through all possible objects and interactions and maximising everything leaves no surprises, no goals, and no challenges to be overcome.  What's left is playing with dolls.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 March 09, 17:23:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of the things do offer a reverse. Like if you make a sim an elder and decide oops I want him as an adult again you can.

As for it 'messing up the game' by cheating, well then so does kaching and motherlode, but I don't hear people freaking out about those. Anyway, there's a cheat for setting family funds so you can reverse that by taking away money if you want now.

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 March 09, 18:38:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It can also mess up a game because a lot of the fun is in the travel not the destination. Rushing through all possible objects and interactions and maximising everything leaves no surprises, no goals, and no challenges to be overcome.  What's left is playing with dolls.
Maybe some of like playing with dolls  Cheesy , I'm sure there are as many different ways of playing as there are players. Personally I'm more into mixing genes...just what will this extended family look like after 10 generations of intermarriage, or what happens when I mix descendants of grimmy with descendants of aliens or zombies or what have you. I only play one hood the regular way, the others are for my "experiments" and for those boolprop is a godsend.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 March 09, 23:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you don't know what the option you're about to use does, you're to stupid to use it.  I know how to use a few, and I hardly use any others.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 10, 03:01:47 by Lil Brudder » Logged
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2006 March 09, 23:45:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not knowing what the options do is nothing to do with stupidity. USING options without knowing what they do, in a neighborhood you want to keep, especially on Sims you want to keep, THAT would be none too bright.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 March 09, 23:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you don't know what the options do, you're to stupid to use boolprop.  I know how to use a few, and I hardly use any others.

Huh

hell I don't even know what the options are so wow I guess I must be really stupid then  Roll Eyes
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 March 10, 00:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you don't know what the options do, you're to stupid to use boolprop.  I know how to use a few, and I hardly use any others.
Do you hardly use those others coz YOU'RE to stupid.

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 March 10, 01:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've messed around with it some, and I've encounted the clothing tester errors, etc. The only thing that continues to hang on because of messing around is on one lot when I clicked that 'group conversation tester' or some sort of thing and now on that lot only I get a pie menu option to *Talk, with the asterisk there, and it doesn't do anything. Otherwise it's been useful enough, but I usually use Insim instead.

After OFB actually I had the testingcheats on and a Sim was abducted - it gave me an error message when he was returning because there was a carpool car waiting, and after clicking Reset, he showed up in the middle of the lot suddenly, with red in energy and hunger. I quickly 'fed' him so he wouldn't die. He never got the abduction memories either. When SimPe is working again, I'll fix that, since he's a knowledge Sim...
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 March 10, 02:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One way "boolprop" messes up a game is because it's easy to make instant irreversible changes.  When doing things the hard way people have plenty of time to think about what they are doing, change their minds, or stop half way if it isn't working out.  With boolprop it's click click oops!

Well then that is the case of the user's own stupdity and not the fault of the code.  You can't really blame a cheat on you f'ing up your game now can you?  And unless you turn your game into a fiery ball there's always the exit w/o saving tactic.

Your second 'point' depends on the player.  Everyone plays differently.  Some people like being complete Sim Gods if you will and controlling every single thing.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 March 10, 06:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, there's a cheat for setting family funds so you can reverse that by taking away money if you want now.

Now THAT'S good news!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
simposiast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 March 10, 08:19:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect the fuss about 'cheats' is because the word is negative. People don't like to be accused of cheating.  If 'options' were entered in the 'options window' would anyone give it a second thought?  Why aren't free will and aging off considered cheats?

Some of the reaction is due to the way people write (or read).  If someone writes "You can mess up your game with boolprop" people tend to respond as if "you" refers to them specifically. They give examples of how they didn't mess up their own game using boolprop.  If the author had written "People can mess up their games with boolprop" I don't think there would be any argument.

ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 March 10, 08:33:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You couldn't get me into the BBS for a million bucks. I mean, I'm stupid, but they are stupid with a side of *retarded child waving* and a bit of *autism child staring blankly* all mixed together to become... the typical BBS'er.

Other than patches, no sims 2 site for me... noooo... *shudders*

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 March 10, 11:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welll...for a MILLION dollars...I think I could put up with the BBS for a little while.  Wink  I guess it depends on how long I'd have to stay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: