More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 16:03:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  New Computer-Install and Patching Question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Computer-Install and Patching Question  (Read 7011 times)
SimVeggie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
New Computer-Install and Patching Question
« on: 2012 June 10, 18:25:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm getting a new computer and I was wondering if its better to install all exps and stuff packs, and then patch at the end?  Or patch in-between each exp and stuff pack?

Also to install Riverview (and perhaps the other EA worlds) do you still need to install before World Adventures?

Its been a very long time since I had to do a clean install and I would be very grateful for some clarification!
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
Re: New Computer-Install and Patching Question
« Reply #1 on: 2012 June 10, 20:02:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would install each game in order of release, patching as it prompts you. Then use the patching tool from MTS. Then install your framework and any cc, store or otherwise. You need to decrap any store items not paid for.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
SimVeggie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 June 10, 20:37:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the reply, that sounds like the safest way to go.  I know the way things are done can change with an update, and wanted to make sure install patch install was still the best way to go.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 June 11, 03:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OTOH I went straight through, just installing in order. Each release does a min patch/update of the prior release as part of the install process. Then at the end I applied the latest super patch. I have had no problems with this approach, I have done it twice now. It's a lot quicker, I would imagine, than waiting for patches in between each install. It also feels cleaner to me in terms of programming.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 June 11, 03:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the beginning, each EP and SP had to be patched alongside the basegame, but that changed with Generations, I think.  The MTS patching tool should pick up any missing patches you have.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
SimVeggie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 June 12, 12:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you ran the MTS patch tool only at the end?

When did you install Riverview (if you did at all),  and did you install it as a .sims3pack or did you convert it to .packages?
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 June 12, 13:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Riverview is a free store download, so there's no need to do anything special to install it, and you can install it any time after the basegame.  Barnacle Bay is really the only problematic world I've seen EA release so far (other than the Hidden Springs Fountain of Youth conflicting with everything; fixes are available on here).  It's ugly as hell, and came with a lot of pirate outfits that some idiot at EA enabled for random in multiple clothing categories.  BB has a lot of objects, but they're mostly faux nautical-themed crap that would look more at home in a low-rent amusement park.  It also doesn't have much room to expand and add extra lots.  Not a fan of Barnacle Bay.

As far as the other Store Worlds go, Hidden Springs is gorgeous and has a lot of room to expand, as well as a ton of parks that can be converted to other lots if you want to add locations for Pets, Ambitions, Late Night, and Showtime.  The only drawbacks I can think of are the aforementioned fixable Fountain of Youth conflict and EA's baffling decision to make some of the townies greenish-skinned (Yes, I know the town description says it's a "side effect" of the Fountain; that doesn't make it any less aesthetically baffling).  Meanwhile, Lunar Lakes managed to somehow not be shitty, which is a TRIUMPH when you think about how badly an EA-created, scifi-themed world could have turned out.  It also has a Premium Object, a crystal tree, that will need the KT fix files to work properly.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 June 12, 13:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA's baffling decision to make some of the townies greenish-skinned
Didn't Hidden Springs coincide with the magic cauldron, crystal ball, etc.?

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
Painkiller
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 June 12, 13:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not quite but very close. Hidden Spring came with the FOY, the magical set came (a month?) afterward.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 June 12, 16:50:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The neighborhood flavor text for Hidden Springs implies that some townspeople are turning green as a result of living so close to the Fountain of Youth, so I don't think it was meant to be linked to witches and magic.

Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 June 12, 17:25:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims 3 stuff is chockablock full of cultural references. For instance today I noticed that the crystal ball set decoration description references both the Lord of the Rings and the Magic 8 Ball. But I suppose, then, that since the Hidden Springs sims are neither aliens nor witches they are arbitrarily green. Unless the reference is to Kermit, since Muppets have eternal youth? And it ain't easy being green? Or maybe Hidden Springs is supposed to be like Brigadoon? But then the sims would need to be green ... tartan.

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 June 12, 18:50:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm presuming you're talking to Jezzer, but I'm going to comment on this anyway.

I do not use the MTS patch tool and I don't actually understand why anyone does. In my view it's just adding yet another thing to be updated and managed and made compatible with the already dodgy sims game. Personally, I do not see what is so hard about downloading a patch and double-clicking it. YMMV

virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 June 12, 21:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm presuming you're talking to Jezzer, but I'm going to comment on this anyway.

I do not use the MTS patch tool and I don't actually understand why anyone does. In my view it's just adding yet another thing to be updated and managed and made compatible with the already dodgy sims game. Personally, I do not see what is so hard about downloading a patch and double-clicking it. YMMV

Actually there's nothing to keep up to date; you just download the file from MTS unpack and run it. It downloads the patches and installs them for you. I recommend the MTS patch tool because it's very simple and easy to use and it always patches the entire game. All expansion and stuff packs, no exception. Last year I posted here about bugs that were already fixed because the super patcher didn't patch up my game properly so I ended up having to use MTS's patching tool either way.

I don't think it's really necessary if you play the game regularly and patch up as soon as they are released. If you're doing a complete re-install or haven't played the game for a long while, I would advice you to use MTS's tool.

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 June 12, 21:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's definitely easier for a lot of people, and much less likely to fuck up than the launcher.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 June 12, 23:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's definitely easier for a lot of people, and much less likely to fuck up than the launcher.

Fair enough, but I don't use the launcher either. My launcher is not allowed on the internetz, it can't be trusted to behave itself.

kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 June 13, 01:54:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to be clear, I never meant patch after every install, just when it prompts you. Then when everything is installed, run the patch tool. I use it to make sure everything is patched, with the super patches now a days you really don't need it.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
SimVeggie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012 June 13, 11:31:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds good, patch when prompted, use MTS patch tool.

UPS dilvered too late yesterday to install my game, so I'll be doing that today. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: