More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 21:47:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  11th hour rally call for SimPE testing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 11th hour rally call for SimPE testing  (Read 35920 times)
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
Re: 11th hour rally call for SimPE testing
« Reply #25 on: 2008 September 18, 13:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm getting an error in editing OBJf. I reported it in QA thread, now that the forum is back up online.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 September 18, 14:01:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, Dea, I noticed it loading a lot faster too.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 September 18, 14:28:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone else getting an error in OBJfs?  I can't reproduce it.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Ailias
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 September 20, 05:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge, I installed that (actually just replaced all the files with the files from archive).
I created some recolors. But was very angry that there were no paths for K&B stuff and IKEA. I had to determine them all in the FILETABLE. Angry
Also the AL objects folder was marked as Unused for some odd reason.

May be this is because the installation was executed in the incorrect way
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 September 20, 05:37:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

this isn't an error per-se, but I got massive CPU and resources drain with simpe after only a couple of minutes open and had to close it out and not use it - using XP, 2 GB ram, 2.8 GHz CPU within a couple of minutes it was up to 60% CPU usage minimum even when idling and was using 567k in memory resources (to provide a benchmark there...I have all EPs and all SPs installed, and they have to be running for at least a couple of hours before they'll hit 300-350k in memory resources...I've never had anything go as high as 567k).

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Ailias
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 September 20, 07:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

kiki
for me too
I opened two files in SimPe and my PC was like nearly blowing up.
It works very slow.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008 September 20, 10:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ailias yes you installed incorrectly, you must start from a fresh folder.

System throttle: Yes, but can be made bearable by not including your downloads folder in the filetable - this helped me immensely!   

There is rarely any need to include Downloads in filetable.  Hackers may need to do so for the purposes of cross-referencing in simantics, but I would advise them to only include only their own folder hierarchy, not the whole of Downloads.  They can use packages.txt which means only the PJSE plugins will include those and SimPE won't get bogged down with their graphical resources.

If the problem is that you want to be able to clone downloads and need them showing in objects workshop then you can do just as well by copying the file manually, rename it, give it new GUIDs and Fix Integrity.  No need to take it through OW at all.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 September 20, 13:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ailias yes you installed incorrectly, you must start from a fresh folder.

System throttle: Yes, but can be made bearable by not including your downloads folder in the filetable - this helped me immensely!   

There is rarely any need to include Downloads in filetable.  Hackers may need to do so for the purposes of cross-referencing in simantics, but I would advise them to only include only their own folder hierarchy, not the whole of Downloads.  They can use packages.txt which means only the PJSE plugins will include those and SimPE won't get bogged down with their graphical resources.

If the problem is that you want to be able to clone downloads and need them showing in objects workshop then you can do just as well by copying the file manually, rename it, give it new GUIDs and Fix Integrity.  No need to take it through OW at all.

I didn't have that set as an option before, so that is something that was put in as a standard option checked in this QA version? because normally I just do it how you state, no downloads folder referencing.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2008 September 20, 13:31:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which version did you upgrade from, that you found more satisfactory in this respect?  There was some size and speed deterioration as some better safeguards were added after 0.68, but we managed to claw back a lot of that in recent builds.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 September 20, 13:56:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which version did you upgrade from, that you found more satisfactory in this respect?  There was some size and speed deterioration as some better safeguards were added after 0.68, but we managed to claw back a lot of that in recent builds.

I upgraded from the K&BI one - the last "full" release (coz you guys skipped IKEA stuff, didn't you seeing as though it was released so close to AL?)

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2008 September 20, 14:09:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No we didn't skip IKEA, we created an IKEA release, just Quaxi didn't release it.  This time we're going to release anyway, and be damned Smiley

ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2008 September 20, 14:56:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

..not only damned, but worshipped by us grateful simmers.  Smiley
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2008 September 21, 10:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

0.72.0 is now at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simpe/SimPe_0_72_00.7z

Remember it wants its own new fresh folder, not a load of old borked config files to struggle with.

cat
Asinine Airhead

INTJ - "Mastermind"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 September 21, 15:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to help test if the latest version of simPE works, but it might kill my laptop: so far it's taken over fifteen minutes to load and works very slowly, one out of three times and doesn't work the rest of the time. That is, it starts loading then freezes and I have to restart the laptop. Previous vrsions of simPE have worked at a reasonable rate on the same laptop, for comparison.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2008 September 21, 15:26:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you mean 0.72.0 is suddenly worse than 0.71.26?  And you're installing and starting it exactly the same way with the same game configuration?

Anyway this is the release now, rather than a test version, so any problems with it can you please make out a bug report?

cat
Asinine Airhead

INTJ - "Mastermind"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 September 23, 12:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. Both 0.71.26 AND 0.72.0 crashed.

However, I think I'm maybe installing it wrongly.

EDIT: I've found out I was making  stupid mistake. However, I seem to be lacking the correct file to install it. Am I meant to be installign from  a file called SimPE.exe? If so, I don't seem to have downloaded that particular file. Please don't anyone laugh too loudly at my lack of computer expertise.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 23, 12:50:21 by cat » Logged
Capitaine Marie
Horrible Halfwit

Blonder Than You

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 September 23, 12:50:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't download it.  When I try, I'm taken to Version 0.68.

I don't think I could ever stab someone.  I mean, let's be honest.  I can barely get the straw in the Capri Sun.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 September 23, 22:02:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to download it from the link in Inge's message above, not from the SimPe site.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2008 September 24, 09:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cat, you install it just by un7zing it.  It will make its own folder.  Go into the folder and double-click SimPE.exe.  That will load SimPE.

AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 September 24, 11:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using 0.71 "by accident" since I saw where you said Turn-Ons/Offs were borked in 0.68, so I went and found it and d/led it a couple days ago. It's definitely faster than 0.66, which is what I'd been using up until then. I just d/led 0.72 and I think 0.71 loaded even faster than .72 (if that's possible) but both are faster to load than 0.66. The Neighbourhood Browser is faster. I've only used it to edit Sims in a new neighbourhood (personality/traits/the usual) and it's working fine, changes are sticking, etc.

Also - I ran it for about an hour last night and 0.71 did not eat up my CPU resources.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: 2008 September 24, 12:00:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the positive feedback Cheesy

Capitaine Marie
Horrible Halfwit

Blonder Than You

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 September 24, 13:14:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cat, you install it just by un7zing it.  It will make its own folder.  Go into the folder and double-click SimPE.exe.  That will load SimPE.

I'm having a problem with this and will do my best to describe it.  When I extract it using ZipGenius, it is only visible to ZipGenius; it's invisible to Windows and I cannot access it.  Make any sense?  Undecided

Edited 'cause I can't type (lol).
« Last Edit: 2008 September 24, 18:10:03 by lovejoyriteia » Logged

I don't think I could ever stab someone.  I mean, let's be honest.  I can barely get the straw in the Capri Sun.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2008 September 24, 14:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is?  The entire folder?  Or just the executable? 

Never mind anyway.  Numenor has now made us a nice cosy rar'ed autoinstaller just like the good old days.  That will be available in a few hours once Peter gets home and uploads it to SourceForge.

cat
Asinine Airhead

INTJ - "Mastermind"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 September 24, 16:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately I don't have a file called simPE.exe after un7zing it. There is a file called simPE but this opens the new version of the program then crashes. I also got a more technologically able friend to assist and they agreed with me.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 2008 September 24, 17:52:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you'll need to seek out a better un7zer for next time you need it.  Fortunately you can now get
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simpe/SimPE_072b_Setup.exe

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: