More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 22:15:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Windowed Mode: Navigation via right-click causes graphics driver reset/crash
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Windowed Mode: Navigation via right-click causes graphics driver reset/crash  (Read 2625 times)
schaschlik
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Windowed Mode: Navigation via right-click causes graphics driver reset/crash
« on: 2009 June 18, 02:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I'm finally desperate enough to ask for help.
I've searched for the following here on MATY, MTS2 and Google in general: right-click, right click, M&G, K&B, IKEA, graphics, driver, crash, freeze, Nvidia, ATI, Radeon. Apparently I'm alone with my problem.

It wasn't until April that I installed the IKEA, K&B and M&G SPs -all in one session- to complete game. When I did this, I made sure to follow the installation advice given here, so a faulty installation should hopefully not be the problem.

My system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, OS: still WinXP
The driver is freshly updated for TS3.

The problem:
Since I prefer to play in windowed mode, I'm used to moving the camera by right-clicking on a spot or holding the right mousebutton down while dragging the cursor across a lot, and that never caused any trouble when I had all EPs and SPs minus the ones above.
Now it's completely different: About 3 out of 10 right-clicks result in freezing or game crashes, and sometimes, but only if I'm lucky, VPU Recover will reset my driver.

What I've tried so far:
-changing the in-game settings to every possible configuration: shadows, details, smooth edges
-changing the Radeon CP settings to every possible configuration
-eliminating the usual suspects, i. e. cutting/pasting the mydocuments\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder to my desktop and letting the game generate a new one (I'm not sure if this was really necessary, but I did it just in case.)
The game installation itself is untouched (no lighting mods and the like), except for cleaned 'hood templates.
-reinstallation of the graphics driver
-starting the game with the onboard graphics (Nvidia 7050M-M) and the newest driver, same drill as above
The Nvidia CP has no driver reset function, so the game simply froze, then crashed.
Fun fact: For sheer fun I briefly replaced my shiny Radeon card with my old Geforce 5200 FX and was utterly amazed that despite the shitty graphics and jagged edges, I could right-click to my heart's contents without any trouble at all. WTF?

Right now, I am at the end of my (limited) wisdom. The only thing I've avoided so far is a complete reinstallation of the game and all EPs/SPs, and I really hope that it's not necessary.
I'd be really glad if some awesome person was able to point me the way to a solution.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Windowed Mode: Navigation via right-click causes graphics driver reset/crash
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 18, 02:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have the same graphics card, could not reproduce. Check drivers. If they are not the latest, try them. If they are, try downgrading them. If you're getting lots of VPU-recover issues that only appear after the game has been running a bit, never at the VERY beginning, check heat issues.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
schaschlik
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Windowed Mode: Navigation via right-click causes graphics driver reset/crash
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 20, 00:37:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I think I found the problem:
I had a look at the GPU clocks in Catalyst Control Center, and it seems that the 3D clock won't start by default when playing a 3D application in windowed mode.
The graphics card stays in its 2D powersaving mode, which might be the reason why the game freezes or crashes after a while.
Guess it's time to go back to fullscreen gameplay. Undecided
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: