More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 16:56:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Car Repair Hack Request
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Car Repair Hack Request  (Read 16308 times)
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
Re: Car Repair Hack Request
« Reply #25 on: 2006 August 31, 21:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought when we got cars (for the sims) adults would have a option of teaching teens how to drive.  Then the car could come back all mangled at random and the sim would have to pay to fix it. 

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 August 31, 22:15:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Theo pays up to 1.5 €/liter = 7.39 $/gallon *
Luckily, my commute distances are short  Grin

I thought when we got cars (for the sims) adults would have a option of teaching teens how to drive.  Then the car could come back all mangled at random and the sim would have to pay to fix it. 

That would be an insteresting merge between The Sims and Grand Theft Auto Cheesy
What could be more fun than having a deranged sim driving over Mrs. Crumplebottom?
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 September 01, 00:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting to do it over and over and over again?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 September 01, 00:28:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe someone should suggest to Josh that it Not charge if you want to go home. Especially since, if you purchase stuff while you are on a comm lot, it seems like you could potentially have your sim stranded. I mean, I wonder what happens if you can't afford to go home. Hee. That could bring up some interesting scenarios, where your sim would have to busk or freestyle to make enough loot just to go home. Cheesy

Cheesy...didn't think of that, I may test that case with some sim I don't like.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2006 September 01, 01:01:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been told several times that §30 was too much, but hey, to me it seems fair, and if you want to change it, just follow the instructions syberspunk posted. Smiley

That is an interesting point, I didn't think at the time of what would happen if you were stuck downtown because you spent too much on the meal or whatever. I'll add to the test so that if you are on a non-residential lot you have the ability to leave anyhow, and post an update probably this weekend when I try to play catchup with all the other days of the advent calendar I've missed so far because of various reasons, heh. Smiley

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2006 September 01, 01:36:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Josh Smiley Cool beans. Lookin forward to the update.

As unrealistic as the amount may be, as Josh points out, most sims who can afford to own cars in the first place have like a bajillion simoleons anyway. So it's not like they are really hurtin for loot.

Plus, as the OP points out, since cars don't require any kind of maintenance and never get damaged or what not, it seems to be a decent balance. It may not be totally realistic, but then again, there are many aspects of the game that aren't realistic.

I think there should be a hack to charge for taxis. A flat fee would make sense, and maybe something like 30 simoleons per sim riding in the car. It would be neat to charge for going to a comm lot from home or from another comm lot. But maybe no charge for going back home, to prevent the similar situation of sims potentially being stranded. Something like a taxisactuallycostmoneyfix. Any takers? *hint*hint* Hee. Grin

Ste

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2006 September 01, 01:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I was toying with the idea of that too, and really it probably makes more sense than charging for the regular cars (though I still will charge for the regular cars in my own game. Tongue ) I'll take a look at it and see if I can do it without making things explode. Smiley

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 September 01, 04:24:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IIRC, the charge for going downtown in TS1 was 50 simoleons.  And if you went from there to another community lot you were charged another 50.  But I don't think you were charged for returning home.  At least with the Hot Date EP.  I didn't really play with Unleashed much, so I don't know if there was a charge for the community bus (I had an old computer at the time, and all previous EPs plus Unleashed was just one EP too many for TS1 to run at a decent speed).

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 September 01, 10:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IIRC, the transportation cost in Vacation was $500. They were round trip tickets, though.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 September 01, 11:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IIRC, the transportation cost in Vacation was $500. They were round trip tickets, though.
Yes, but that sounds like a REASONABLE price for a vacation to bumfuck nowhere. $30 for a 3 block drive is outright ludicrous. My *TANK* doesn't cost that much to operate!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 September 01, 11:53:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but you live in gas-guzzling America.
You yanks pay less per gallon than the civilized world does per liter :/
PlayLives
Irritating Ignoramus

I don't speak Awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 September 01, 15:02:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks jfade for looking into it. I do like having the cars *not* be maintenance free.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 September 01, 15:21:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Charging $50 PER SIM is a bit much. Real taxis don't even do that.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2006 September 01, 18:56:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Per sim probably isn't realistic, since Taxis don't really charge per person, typically just by length of travel. I was just thinking that, since the game doesn't really measure distance travelled between lots, I thought it would be one way to make up for that. I didn't remember if TS1 charged for taxis and how much it was. Regardless, I don't think it should be free. I'm surprised Pescado didn't already do this, considering his various bills are more realistic and things are more expensive type hacks.

Ste

jfade
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2006 September 02, 01:12:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I probably won't do a per person type of thing for the taxi, or if I did it would be reasonable, like 10 or 15 simoleans per person. I haven't had the chance to look into it yet, but I will probably either this weekend or sometime after I get this advent calendar done and over with. Smiley

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 September 02, 14:25:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but you live in gas-guzzling America.
You yanks pay less per gallon than the civilized world does per liter :/
I'm pretty sure it's not $30 even by your prices. What are your gas prices per liter now?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
twistingsims
Dimwitted Dunce

*peeks*

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 September 02, 19:49:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Canada, well Nova Scotia, where I'm from, gas prices went up to 1.22/litre and just went down to 1.08/litre!  Shocked
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 September 02, 20:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats falls somewhat short of the order-of-magnitude needed to jack up prices for a 3-block drive to $30 even in a tank.

Frankenbeasley
The Preacher
Uncouth Undesirable

Diabolic Avocado

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 September 02, 21:18:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the UK it is currently about £4.50/ gallon.. so that's about $8.60. I run my cars on biodiesel, however, which is a lot cheaper. Luckily for me I have no real interest in cars as anything other than a tool for getting me from A to C*. Since I don't care what they look like or sound like I am able to use only cars that are free. As well as the advantages this confers with regard to insurance costs and theft prevention ("Who's gonna steal that piece of crap?", as my friend says) it also imbues me with automatic right of way over anyone with a new or expensive vehicle (other than sociopaths in tanks, that is).

Speaking of tanks, by the way, is yours a lot more Awesome than this one JMP?

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/t90s-russian-tank-p1.php

*Went to B once but didn't like it. The people looked odd and there was a funny smell.

Not dead but gone by four.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 September 21, 15:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI: The new/updated antiwatchout hack conflicts with djssims ownable cars cost money hack.

Yes, I know necromancy is bad m'kay, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread. Tongue

File: antiwatchout.package, conflicts:
   Type = 42484156, Group = 7F4EA230, Instance = 2094 in file djsownablecarscostmoney.package

Ste

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 September 21, 15:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't necromancy, it's less than 3 weeks old!
aubreylaraine
Corpulent Cretin

not a morning person

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 September 21, 15:57:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow, i feel lucky. here in texas (ft. worth at least) gas is back down to $2.26 a gallon.

opportunity may knock once, but temptation will bang on your door forever.
infj
those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 September 21, 15:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, gas prices in OK dropped to $2.15. I so happy.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 September 21, 16:54:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blue is right, and other than that, it is a resurrection. That's some valuable information, I was going to look into that mod and most likely download it. I would like it if driving a car would at least cost something (not 30 simoleons, that's too steep), but I don't think I can live without the antiwatchout mod. That particular sim behavior was driving me to distraction, pardon the pun.

Thanks Steven.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
KevinTMC
Lipless Loser

Official THANG and Insular Person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 2006 September 21, 17:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since we're reviving this thread anyway, I'll put in a plug for the OP's idea. I think it would be great if cars occasionally needed repair, like various other household items. Especially if there were an element of danger involved in fixing it oneself...to the car, to the sim, or both.

"Do I fix it myself? Pay someone to fix it? Junk it? Just take a cab?" This might just qualify for the Sid Meier Seal of Approval as an "interesting decision" (something which is too often lacking in this game in the ordinary flow of gameplay, despite its other virtues).

I'm not at all interested in being charged to go anywhere, though. Visiting community lots can be painful enough...the last thing I need is a further disincentive.

Besides, anytime you think your sims ought to have to pay for something that the game doesn't charge for, you can always take the cash from them via familyfunds. Isn't as slick as having it done automatically, of course; but using anything that conflicts with Awesome hacks is even less slick.

I am a compulsive post-editor. Any and all of the above is subject to change, within the first 15 minutes or so after it is posted. (Or longer, if I'm trying to make it funny.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: