More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 09:37:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  New computer does not send signal to monitor
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New computer does not send signal to monitor  (Read 7025 times)
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
New computer does not send signal to monitor
« on: 2007 March 26, 16:50:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The monitor is my old monitor (the new PC didn't come with one), and the monitor has been tested to work using my old PC and as a second screen for my Linux laptop. I've also tested it with a second monitor, still no dice. I have checked, and the monitors were connected to the correct port.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: New computer does not send signal to monitor
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 26, 16:55:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try plugging it into the incorrect port.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Venusy
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 26, 16:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried that as well.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 26, 18:52:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Remove new video card, plug into onboard port, and check BIOS settings?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Venusy
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 26, 21:13:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Remove new video card, plug into onboard port, and check BIOS settings?
I have no idea how to even open the case on this thing (I'm used to there being a series of screws on the back which allow the side panel to be removed. This case doesn't have those, so I have no idea how the side panels are being held on in the first place), which is kind of a prerequisite to the above. I've hired someone to take a look at it tomorrow, so this means that I will either end up paying massive amounts in tech support and replacement fees, or I will end up sending it back to the manufacturer at reduced tech support costs, but higher delivery costs.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 26, 21:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no brilliant suggestion, especially given that I am not used to screwfree panels either. However, I feel your pain, as I took my spifftop in for more memory and it decided to pretend to have a RAID 0 disk failure it didn't really have, and the expletive deleted tech decided to remove all my programs to a backup hard drive without clearing it with me first. And then wouldn't put them back. ANd I've moved 3-4 times since buying the original programs, so I now have to cadge a copy of Photoshop and Illustrator. Already paid for them twice, once per OS, and am not doing it again.

Stupid lying computer, stupid data borking geek. I was highly displeased. He'll have some trouble getting those scorch marks to wask off.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 26, 22:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea how to even open the case on this thing (I'm used to there being a series of screws on the back which allow the side panel to be removed. This case doesn't have those, so I have no idea how the side panels are being held on in the first place), which is kind of a prerequisite to the above. I've hired someone to take a look at it tomorrow, so this means that I will either end up paying massive amounts in tech support and replacement fees, or I will end up sending it back to the manufacturer at reduced tech support costs, but higher delivery costs.
I see those as being like Chinese puzzle boxes, where half the fun is figuring out how to open it yourself!

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 26, 22:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Venusy, what brand and model?  The manuals are generally available online and they give the directions on how to crack the box.  We could do that and post the instructions.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 26, 22:52:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Usually the newer cases, you have to rip their faces off first before you can get to the takey-apart bits. Got caught several times myself, turning a box over and over hopelessly looking for an in.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Venusy
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 26, 23:13:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MAXDATA Favorit 1000. I do have the manual on CD (a very interesting read, half the pages are based on how the wireless card is illegal to use on aeroplanes, and how the warranty is void if you "install" any viruses or alternate OSs that break something, and the rest is mostly obvious things like "where to insert the PS/2 plugs" and contains nothing on how to actually open the case). The troubleshooting section has this to say on the subject of monitors not displaying a picture:
Make sure your PC is not in standby mode
(It isn't)
Make sure the monitor power switch is in the ON position
(Yes, it is)
Make sure the power cable is connected to a live socket
(Yes, it is)
Check the contrast and brightness settings on your monitor
(Irrelevant, due to the fact that the monitor displays "NO INPUT SIGNAL" on it)

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 26, 23:33:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure it's not just a refresh rate problem? Some older monitors just won't display higher refresh rates. Do you have access to a more modern monitor? If you can hook your computer up to a more modern monitor and it works, then crank the refresh rate back down.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 27, 01:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use a hammer.

Ste

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 27, 01:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried getting into safe mode?  It's possible it might work in there if it's a driver/refresh problem, maybe.

*ETA* I'm assuming of course that you do get to see a boot screen and it's just not working in the operating system.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 27, 01:50:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Irrelevant, due to the fact that the monitor displays "NO INPUT SIGNAL" on it)

If you are getting the "No Input Signal" message on your monitor then its one of these problems:

1. Monitor Doesn't work
2. Monitor plugged into wrong port
3. Bad video card or video card is loose in its socket
4. The video slot on the motherboard is bad

As far as the stupid manual that you received with your computer, it is usually not the manual but rather just a minimum info sheet to get the average person who doesn't like to read to be able to operate the computer. Put your PC name and model number into a search engine. Most places have an actual manual online that will tell you how to open the case, what your Bios settings mean, etc.

I repair computers for a living and there have been a small handful of brands that I have had to look up online just to open the stupid case. If you do manage to get the case open, you can remove then reseat the video card and see if that helps.

If you have another video card that you can put in to test, so much the better. If another video card works, then you have narrowed the problem down to a bad video card.

Check the contrast and brightness settings on your monitor

They mean that if you have the type of monitor that has buttons on it to change the brightness settings, then make sure that it is turned up bright enough to see a picture. Sometimes buttons can get pushed when moving the monitor around. But this isn't your problem or you wouldn't be able to see the "no signal" message.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 27, 01:59:26 by magicmoon » Logged

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Venusy
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 27, 07:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried getting into safe mode?  It's possible it might work in there if it's a driver/refresh problem, maybe.

*ETA* I'm assuming of course that you do get to see a boot screen and it's just not working in the operating system.
I don't get to see a boot screen.
If you are getting the "No Input Signal" message on your monitor then its one of these problems:

1. Monitor Doesn't work
2. Monitor plugged into wrong port
3. Bad video card or video card is loose in its socket
4. The video slot on the motherboard is bad
So far, I've confirmed it isn't 1 or 2.

MAXDATA don't have manuals online: they have a shop where you can buy a physical copy of the manual. At €8 plus shipping. And I have a fear that this is just a hard copy of the one that came with the computer.

Madame Mim, I should've made myself more clear: the "old monitor" is a 2004 GNR model, and supports everything from 60Hz to 90Hz (I think) as long as it's at 1024x768. I don't think it would have turned up a no input signal error if it was a resolution or refresh rate problem.

Until the tech arrives, Syberspunk's suggestion may be the best suggestion. But it would probably void the warranty, which wouldn't be a good idea if the technician can't fix it and I have to send it back...

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 27, 21:36:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, if it's a resolution/refresh problem, it WILL turn up as no signal. I've had it happen. I didn't even know it was possible until it happened, but luckily I knew exactly what the problem was as I'd just increased my refresh rate.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Venusy
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 27, 21:45:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ebuyer are collecting the computer, and dropping off a new one tomorrow, which should fix the problem. Or persuade me to purchase a new monitor (if the new new PC is also broken).

And katenigma, I hadn't realized that. These monitors normally display a different error message for resolution issues ("resolution range exceeded" or an equivalent), so I assumed it would be similar if the refresh rate range was exceeded.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 28, 06:59:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, if it's a resolution/refresh problem, it WILL turn up as no signal. I've had it happen. I didn't even know it was possible until it happened, but luckily I knew exactly what the problem was as I'd just increased my refresh rate.
Resolution/refresh won't happen until you get past the BIOS prompt. If it dies once Windoze gets to loading, THEN you have a refresh problem. If it dies before you get even to the DOS prompt area, something else is wrong.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: