More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 08:51:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Removing unwanted software
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Removing unwanted software  (Read 8649 times)
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
Removing unwanted software
« on: 2007 January 03, 22:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This has become a mission here.
I have this program "Windows Movie Maker" that came with Windows XP SP2.
No uninstall for it. No windows component removal tool.
So I deleted everything, except the folder, C:\Program Files\Movie Maker.
The folder "can't be deleted" (something has a lock on it).
However, the executable (moviemk.exe) and 8 additional DLLs keep returning.
I scanned everything for viruses.
I deleted keys from the registry. One refused to be deleted.
I tried stopping all sorts of services, but so far haven't located what MicroScrap code keeps restoring these files.
So, anyone have any SERIOUS idea where to look next? I know there is something somewhere that controls this. The MS site says that it is part of the operating system and isn't suppposed to be deleted. I just hate the idea that I have to keep this just 'cause "they say so".
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Removing unwanted software
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 03, 22:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's probably lurking in the dllcache of the "system file restorer thingamajigus". Search for all files by those names. there's probably one hiding inside the system folders themselves. KILL THEM ALL!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 03, 23:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't really uninstall it or fully remove it. Why do you want to anyway?

You can try though. First remove the following files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache :
moviemk.exe
wmmutil.dll
wmmfilt.dll
wmmres.dll

If you get any warning messages, ignore them. Then delete all the files from the movie maker folder itself.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 04, 00:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Jordi. I knew the files, just hadn't found the dllcache where they wer lurking.
That's the directory. So far, I can't delete the directory itself, even though all the files are gone. I'll have to look in the registry to see if it's specified there.
I used the program a little, and decided it was pretty lame.
Then it started crashing after I erroneously allowed Media Player to upgrade to version 11.
I rolled Media Player back to 10, but couldn't get rid of all of Movie Maker.
I think no one should HAVE to allow MS drivel like that on their computer, that's the biggest reason I want to get rid of it.
numaari
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 04, 03:25:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got rid of a whole bunch of stuff like that.  Didn't use it, didn't want it.  Was told that it was just a part of Windows, and if I didn't want to use it, just IGNORE it.

I wish I hadn't done it.  Everything still works, but when I use my software management program, it has wierd holes and invalid stuff where the Windows stuff had been.  Bugs me worse than the actual unused stuff did.  Sigh.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 04, 05:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know what you mean Wes, I hate the MSN, MSN messenger, MSN bloody gambling. I hate seeing a list of 'Microsoft' stuff on my machine.

My son played a CD on his new computer the day before yesterday, in Windows bloody media player, the next time Windows booted it wanted activation. My mate said Windows is really picky about Dells because so many are compromised with pirated Windows. So my son's machine decided it had had a hardware change. From playing a CD.

Winamp now has the media job, because it mostly behaves itself.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 04, 16:05:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hang on to your current OS, unless you're planning to move to a Mac or Linux.  The initial reviews for Vista are not at all stellar.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128305/article.html
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/003385.html

Just what we want: a new OS that will run our apps slower, suck up the battery power on our laptops, and maybe even disable our audio equipment.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 04, 23:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hang on to your current OS, unless you're planning to move to a Mac or Linux.  The initial reviews for Vista are not at all stellar.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128305/article.html
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/003385.html

Just what we want: a new OS that will run our apps slower, suck up the battery power on our laptops, and maybe even disable our audio equipment.

This isn't exactly news.  Wink I've been hearing this for months and months now. And it was predicted as soon as they started talking about the Aero Glass desktop- the RAM and processing power had to come from somewhere. The only surprising thing was that reports I've heard/read have said that turning it off doesn't improve the performance all that much.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 04, 23:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I hadn't done it.  Everything still works, but when I use my software management program, it has wierd holes and invalid stuff where the Windows stuff had been.  Bugs me worse than the actual unused stuff did.  Sigh.

I don't know about your software management program, but I had a few issues after rebooting until I went into the registry and removed all the guid and file things that referenced the DLLs in the Movie Maker directory. I still haven't found where it keeps the "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\" directory reference it uses, because it locks that directory so I can't delete it. I know I could do it in DOS mode, but I hate the sight of a DOS prompt.

I also disabled some services that run for no apparent reason. Like Telephony. This is a f**king home computer, not a telephone thingy. So far, I haven't found anything I use that won't work with this disabled.

I also saw the early reviews of Vista (nee Longhorn). I don't plan to even think about upgrading until Service Pack 2 or so comes out. None of Microscrap's software worked very well until SR 2. This was true (IMO) for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT4 and Windows XP. While I may wait two more years for that, nothing I see right now makes me want a newer computer (some more RAM and a higher powered graphics card may be in the cards before then).

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 05, 10:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The worst things about Vista when I tried the RC1 version not including the horrible lag is the additional software they include with it like "Windows Defender" and the new version of WMP that is forcing my MP3 player to autodock.  Even though the upgrade would only be $5 for me, if they hadn't fixed that problem with WMP 11 or allow you to rollback to 10 then I'm sticking with XP.

Why does Microsoft insist I need something like "Windows Defender" anyway?  Anti-virus software removes most of that crap.  I know you can turn it off but you can't remove it like the rest of MS's programs.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 05, 11:29:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WTF is "Windoze Defender"? Does it hide under bases and shoot at descending swarms of little green aliens?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 05, 11:47:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MS insists that you have Windows Defender by default because too many idiot sheep out there are too stupid to install a Spyware blocker. So like how worms virtually disappeared after XP SP2 came out and all the sheep had a firewall automagically installed and turned on, the theory is that the same will happen with most of the more malicious Malware with Windows Defender. Sure, you may not need it, but if they give a sheep a choice, they won't install it, and then all they do is bitch when their system goes kaplooie because they're also the ones most likely to click on links in Spam and banners and get the spyware in the firstplace!

I've actually been using it for months now, and it (gasp) is actually less of a resource hog than Spybot. It also seems to work a wee bit better, unless I was just extra lucky about not picking up anything nasty before I finally switched to Firefox. They were going to charge for it after X amount of months, but when I got the update notice on New Year's, instead it said that it's free up until you make the 3rd support request. That was also when I discovered that MS has made a script you can download so that you can verify Windows and install updates without having to switch out of Firefox.  Shocked

As for the Vista upgrades, if you can get it for free or for $5, then for Pete's sake, send in your voucher! And then file it away someplace safe for a year or 2. You may actually want to upgrade later on, so why not save yourself $200+ against that eventuality?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 06, 01:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't exactly call the $200 version of Vista an "upgrade". It's a bit like Mac OS X 10.0 (if you had the displeasure of being a victim of that).

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 06, 02:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found that, when files are difficult to delete, sometimes going into Properties and unticking 'Read Only' (and sometimes renaming the files as well) will allow me to finally delete them. I assume that you've tried this?

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 06, 02:27:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Hijack This can help regain control of some files.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 06, 05:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Several folders within Program Files (such as the Xerox one, and I guess movie maker's) are OS locked. They're protected by WFP and will be recreated if deleted (which is only possible under a safe mode command prompt login).
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 06, 14:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could probably remove it using XPLite.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 January 06, 14:56:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for the Vista upgrades, if you can get it for free or for $5, then for Pete's sake, send in your voucher! And then file it away someplace safe for a year or 2. You may actually want to upgrade later on, so why not save yourself $200+ against that eventuality?
What manner of crazy talk is that? Who *PAYS* for WINDOZE? Are you out of your mind?

wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 January 06, 16:39:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found that, when files are difficult to delete, sometimes going into Properties and unticking 'Read Only' (and sometimes renaming the files as well) will allow me to finally delete them. I assume that you've tried this?

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.
The issue here was you can delete them, but they just come back, like the undead... or like trying to just mow mesquite down.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 added this 'feature' with no undelete, and then added the files to the list of system files that get automatically restored if they disappear.
This just rankles me that they are trying to position it as part of the operating system, when it's a bolt-on application. Not all of their users are blind little mice.
So Jordi gave me the final information I needed to get rid of it. It's gone, and not missed so far.
<* Wes *>
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 January 06, 21:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What manner of crazy talk is that? Who *PAYS* for WINDOZE? Are you out of your mind?

Oh lots of idiots out there do. And people who build their own computers and don't have a copy of Windows laying about because all their other computers have been factory made or they think it's time to move on from Windows 98.  Wink For some reason, my FIL always has extra copies laying around (he'll go ahead and buy an OEM version when he buys new hardware) and that's how I got my copy of XP when I built my machine. Sure, I know there are alternative ways, but those are harder to update, and who in the hell would want to run a copy of Windows that's hard to patch?

- Kurt Vonnegut
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 January 07, 05:05:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Several folders within Program Files (such as the Xerox one, and I guess movie maker's) are OS locked. They're protected by WFP and will be recreated if deleted (which is only possible under a safe mode command prompt login).

O.K. So I have to figure out not where WFP is configured. Yeah, I know I said DOS mode, but I meant safe mode command prompt. The xerox one I hadn't noticed yet... one more clue to look for.
The WFP isn't my enemy, just the unasked for, unnecessary OS additions its protecting with no user option. I guess it's microscrap's way of feeding a little video eye candy to the masses, then a little mpegijuana, pretty soon we're hooked to an MSN mainline, with a hunnert-dollar-a-day DoodlyToob habit.  Wink

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 January 07, 05:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think there's a registry thing somewhere to disable WFP. WFP is bad. Because dammit, I *LIKE* deleting and overwriting system files arbitrarily.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 January 07, 06:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection
Create a DWORD named SFCDisable and set its value to 2 (0=on, 1=off and prompt to re-enable).

This will only work if you have a kernel debugger. Should you lack one, get the Debugging tools or a simple fault logger like IIXII's inspectr.exe (which I use).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: