More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 30, 07:51:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Re-install from hades - "You are running the wrong version..." - SOLVED THANKS!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Re-install from hades - "You are running the wrong version..." - SOLVED THANKS!!  (Read 4594 times)
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
Re-install from hades - "You are running the wrong version..." - SOLVED THANKS!!
« on: 2007 September 07, 21:38:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay short story - I decided to re-install.

Decided that the old Sims2 base game I had wasn't working so I bought the Sims2 Deluxe(because you can't get the base game new anymore).

Installed Sims2 Deluxe ... tried to run it and have been told "You are running the wrong version of The Sims2. Please run The Sims2 H&M fashion Stuff instead."

I un-installed everything before I started again ... I even searched for and deleted everything off my hard drive that had 'sims' in it ... H&M isn't on my computer, I swear! /bangs head on wall/

I tried to search MATY ... honest I did! I've been at this all afternoon and can't seem to word my searches right. I'm sure I've seen this on here somewhere but I just can't find it!

/falls to knees/ Please help me! I'm begging you, someone, please!

Cass  Huh
« Last Edit: 2007 September 08, 00:07:45 by cassblonde » Logged

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Re-install from hades - "You are running the wrong version of The Sims2..."
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 07, 21:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Even though you installed Sims 2 Deluxe , I'm guessing you should have still used H and M fashion Stuff as the play disc because Deluxe is basically just a compilation of the base game and Nightlife and they were only used to run the game yonks ago  Wink
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 07, 21:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, Bruce:
H&M isn't on my computer, I swear! /bangs head on wall/
I believe that's a free pass and EA's blessing to go torrent H&M crapness.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 07, 22:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh I thought she only meant H and M stuff was not on her comp now only because she'd deleted everything with Sims on it . Either way , I still doubt the Deluxe disc should be used as the play disc if this user as any expansions or Stuff packs newer than Nightlife  Undecided

What is your newest expansion ( ignoring Deluxe from the equation ) Cassblonde ?  Smiley
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 07, 22:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is your newest expansion ( ignoring Deluxe from the equation ) Cassblonde ?  Smiley

I took everything off my computer. Right down to deleting the EA Games folder from my C drive and everything.

Then I tried installing my very old base game.

It didn't work.

I then went out and gave EA more of my money and bought The Sims 2 Deluxe.

That's not working either.

I own everything they have put out for The Sims 2 up to and including BV but I took everything off my computer and am starting over.

I tried installing H&M because I figured "Why the hell not?" and it refuses to install because I don't have Pets installed. I've tried installing University as well but it refuses to install because it says the update fails at the very end.

/sobs/ I can't take this kind of stress and wish I had never started this whole thing but now it's too late ... I'm so upset. I can't stand it when things don't work right  - /weak laugh/ I guess I'm playing the wrong game, huh?

Does that help clarify a tiny bit?

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 07, 22:32:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Copy all your downloads somewhere first . Once your downloads are safely copied then try uninstalling the whole game over again ( if it currently isn't uninstalled already ) . Then comes the risky bit . Here is a link to a registry cleaner with which you can hopefully clean out the Sims 2 program entries ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html ) . If you install this program to do that though be careful and do the following - Don't run the general reg cleaner part of the program . This is an old program so if you do that you could well bugger up your computer . Instead just use ( and only use this part of the program ) the SOFTWARE tab . There you will see a list of installed programs with checkboxes to the left of them . Check the boxes next to any programs in the list that mention ' Sims ' ( make sure and double check again that you DO NOT check any other boxes apart from the Sims programs in the list ) . Once you're certain that only the Sims progs are checked on the software list then click ' Remove Selected ' You shouldn't then be able to see any Sims programs in your registry list . Hopefully ( and I mean hopefully because it can't be guaranteed ) then your game will install ok after that .

One more thing . You haven't mentioned the operating system of your comp . If it is XP then you can use the registry prog because I have XP and use it for the purpose I've mentioned above . If you by any chance have VISTA though , then completely ignore everything I've just said because it's more than likely that the registry works differently with Vista and using this registry prog wouldn't be advised with it Smiley
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 07, 22:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Another thing . Before even considering touching the registry with the Reg Cleaner prog , make sure to do a system restore point  Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 07, 23:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most (all?) sims install disks have a 'clean up the sims registry entries' type of programme on them. Can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 07, 23:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A little registry uninstall help from EA
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14844&p_created=1181669872&p_sid=yBkEq8Li&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OCw4JnBfcHJvZHM9Nyw3MDAsMzQ2MiZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTMuMzQ2MiZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXVuaW5zdGFsbA**&p_li=&p_topview=1
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 08, 00:07:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone ... once I followed the EA instructions to remove everything it all worked fine.

I'm back up to OFB and everything is installing smoothly.

Problem solved.

Cass Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: