More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 22:14:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Nightlife Downtown question?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Nightlife Downtown question?  (Read 9189 times)
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
Nightlife Downtown question?
« on: 2005 November 05, 02:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I've just installed Nightlife. I thought I'd take advantage of the fact that some of you were beta testers Grin and ask some questions:

Are there any lots in the default Downtown that are horribly broken or need things added to make them playable without growling? I looked at a few of them last night, but it was very very late (read: early), and my brain wasn't really working. I did notice the clothing shop that claimed to be a house of many trap-doors (watch your step!), but only 2 floors had anything on them. Are there any trap-doors there? Or just hype?

Also, I've noticed that Nightlife has the same fairly minor but annoying "bug" as University. When I alt-tab back to the desktop, the music from the game often goes on playing. Sometimes it stops if I go into another application, or if I open the My Documents folder. Otherwise, it just carries on indefinitely until I either hit mute, or go back into the game. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it worth me reporting it as a bug? It could just be another Sony Vaio/Windows conflict irritation, like the enormous issues I have connecting this machine to an external monitor.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
Re: Nightlife Downtown question?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 05, 02:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There aren't any lots that are broken to the point where you feel like yelling at your computer. The only issue I had is that I had to remove quite a few landscape items before I could put my own lots down, other than that... no, not really, bathrooms are everywhere, eating places, etc. Functionality wise no real issues, just decoration wise :D I haven't fallen through any trapdoors yet either, but don't hold me to that, I could've just been lucky :D

I don't have a music problem when I minimize, sorry I can't help you there.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 05, 02:52:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Several people have reported problems with the Lulu Lounge and the House of Fallen Trees and one other lot (sorry forget which one). The problem with the House of Fallen Trees seemed to be a conflict with a downloaded OBJECT - a sofa if I remember right. The Lulu Lounge wouldn't load for some people.

What has helped several people when they have a problem with a lot is to move the lot to the lot bin, buldoze the original lot and then re-place the lot back into the neighborhood. This seemed to help several people that did have problems with their lots.

By the way, the first sim you take downtown, make sure it isn't a romance sim unless you want to see some fights.  Wink

Can't help with the sound, don't have that problem,
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 05, 02:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Extremely stupid question - clearly, I'm having issues tonight - but how on earth do I register the game? Embarrassed I'm sure I've looked all over The Sims 2 site, including the sitemap, and I couldn't find a "register" option. I just want to add it to the username I already have.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 05, 02:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a link from the start menu that launches some program to do it. It should be grouped with the game's shortcut, the bodyshop and the readme stuff under EA Games.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 05, 02:59:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Extremely stupid question - clearly, I'm having issues tonight - but how on earth do I register the game? Embarrassed I'm sure I've looked all over The Sims 2 site, including the sitemap, and I couldn't find a "register" option. I just want to add it to the username I already have.
you have to go to www.eagames.com to register the games

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 05, 03:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I've just installed Nightlife. I thought I'd take advantage of the fact that some of you were beta testers Grin and ask some questions:

Are there any lots in the default Downtown that are horribly broken or need things added to make them playable without growling? I looked at a few of them last night, but it was very very late (read: early), and my brain wasn't really working. I did notice the clothing shop that claimed to be a house of many trap-doors (watch your step!), but only 2 floors had anything on them. Are there any trap-doors there? Or just hype?

Also, I've noticed that Nightlife has the same fairly minor but annoying "bug" as University. When I alt-tab back to the desktop, the music from the game often goes on playing. Sometimes it stops if I go into another application, or if I open the My Documents folder. Otherwise, it just carries on indefinitely until I either hit mute, or go back into the game. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it worth me reporting it as a bug? It could just be another Sony Vaio/Windows conflict irritation, like the enormous issues I have connecting this machine to an external monitor.

I did not personally add any problem with any downtown lot, I was able to load them all and modify them they way I like.  They are well arrange with all the stuff Sims need.  Only important thing you should know is that a Sim living in regular hood can only buy food on regular community lot hood, University students can only buy food on University community lot and the same with downtown Sims you move to live there which can only buy food on downtown community lots.  All the rest of the stuff (clothes, video games, magazine, perfume, etc) can be bought on all types of community lots.

There is only 2 floors in the clothing stores, I have yet to see trap doors on that lot.

You can add with no problem restaurant, bowling alleys and all the new stuff of Nightlife on all your University lots and regular community lots.  Know that Ya will only hang on University lots, you cannot meet any on downtown lots.  The same applies to downtown townies, they only hang on downtown lots.  As for regular townies I think you can found them both on regular and downtown lots.  So don't expect to see any Grand Vampire on University or regular hood community lots, they can only be found on downtown community lots.

If you have the phonehack I suggest you remove it until a final new version which is compatible with Nightlife is release (it is under testing if I am not mistaken), it seems to cause problem to call NPC and townie Sims, a message will pop-up saying they do not own a phone which is not normal.  Others could tell you which other hacks you should put aside for now until a new version is made.  Also, if you did not read about it already, don't use the cellphone to hire nannies, there is a scheduled problem when you do so.

As for the sound problem, I do experience it too but mainly if I just loaded the game and did not select a neighborhood to play yet or when I just switch to play another hood and did not select a house to play yet.  Other than that, the sound does not get stuck.

EDIT:  Oh I forgot to mention the barista problem is fix, they keep coming back now.  Make sure to make your objects.package file a read-only file since if Mrs. Crumplebottom gets bitten it will mess that file and cause a memory icon loss problem.  In case you don't know where that file is, you can find it in c:/programfiles/eagames/thesims2Nightlife/tsdata/res/objects folder.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 05, 03:46:27 by Missdoh » Logged
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 05, 03:35:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beware of the One-Twenty-Five Cafe.

Before sending a sim there, load it and kill the two dart boards in the corner. The foot stomping, arm waving, and screaming is neverending otherwise. The person who shoved two dart boards side by side into a corner should be forced to play that lot for 24 hours straight. Wink

Fail.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 05, 03:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[quote author=baratron link=topic=1306.msg44292#msg44292

I them both on regular and downtown lots.  So don't expect to see any Grand Vampire on University or regular hood community lots, they can only be found on downtown community lots.

If
thats what I thought too but I had a Grand Vampire appear on one of my Sim's lots in the neighborhood  who was having a wedding reception that lasted until midnight sim time and one of my uninvited guests in the neighborhood was a university townie named Jimmy Phoenix. I know he is a Townie because I made him one with Inge's Painting  he resides in SimStates  Landgraab house

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 05, 03:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

some people have had problems with the Hub and Lulu Lounge, but I've not had any problems with either of them
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 05, 03:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I them both on regular and downtown lots.  So don't expect to see any Grand Vampire on University or regular hood community lots, they can only be found on downtown community lots.

If
thats what I thought too but I had a Grand Vampire appear on one of my Sim's lots in the neighborhood  who was having a wedding reception that lasted until midnight sim time and one of my uninvited guests in the neighborhood was a university townie named Jimmy Phoenix. I know he is a Townie because I made him one with Inge's Painting  he resides in SimStates  Landgraab house

Really, I did not throw any party yet in my game since I install Nightlife, wow, I did not know they would come to houses like that and uninvited too lol.  They must be really wanting blood....
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 05, 04:07:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If

Really, I did not throw any party yet in my game since I install Nightlife, wow, I did not know they would come to houses like that and uninvited too lol.  They must be really wanting blood....
neither did I until he showed up .I removed him with the DMA box. Jimmy Phoenix I let Stay along with his Buddy Jared Starchild.

Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 05, 16:38:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll look out for those issues Smiley.

I notice that the Fresh Rush Grocery has a barbeque inside. Now, I happen to know that putting a barbeque inside any other lot causes instant fires. Is there code that prevents fires on Community lots?

I'm thinking that one of the first mods I want JMP to produce when he gets NL is "No Dream Date spam" Smiley. My cute monogamous gay couple each have two of those memories already, and I rather suspect they're going to end up with a ton more. Fair enough to have multiple Dream Date memories if you're dating around, but if you're only dating your long-term partner it seems a little silly... Just to add to the general cuteness of those two, when they come home from their dates they immediately spin up a Want to get Joined Cheesy. They won't, until I've set up & photographed a lot more of the story, but it's so sweet that they want to!

Did I see someone say there was an issue with "Invite sim home" if the sims already live together? Or is that fixed by the patch?

Read my Sims 2 stories!
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 05, 16:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Baratron, this might be what you read concerning dates. Maybe not, but it can't hurt to know about ;D

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=895.0

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 05, 16:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There must be something special allowing bbq to work inside on downtown community lots since I use them while my Sims where there and it did not set a fire.  You can safely use them there.

I did not try to put them inside on other community lots though.
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 05, 17:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I alt-tab back to the desktop, the music from the game often goes on playing. Sometimes it stops if I go into another application, or if I open the My Documents folder. Otherwise, it just carries on indefinitely until I either hit mute, or go back into the game. Has anyone else experienced this?

Same thing's happening to me, the music going on and on, when I have to alt-tab to force quit the game because the game would sometimes 'hang' at the loading screen when my sims visit downtown lots. Funny thing, when that happens, although all I could see is the loading screen, I could hear doors opening and closing and sims going about their businesses sounding their cartoony selves (like when the game is played at speed 3) and had a PIP pop up a couple of times on the loading screen in the bottom right-hand corner when a fight broke out. Undecided
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 05, 18:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure fires can't happen on community lots. I thought the grill was silly though so I took it out and put the university cooktop stove there instead and I have Christianlov's hack that makes the worker come on lots outside the university town. To me it makes more sense for it to be a cafeteria style sorta fast food eatery than someplace where you go back in the kitchen and grill your own hot dogs.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 06, 02:22:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same thing's happening to me, the music going on and on, when I have to alt-tab to force quit the game because the game would sometimes 'hang' at the loading screen when my sims visit downtown lots. Funny thing, when that happens, although all I could see is the loading screen, I could hear doors opening and closing and sims going about their businesses sounding their cartoony selves (like when the game is played at speed 3) and had a PIP pop up a couple of times on the loading screen in the bottom right-hand corner when a fight broke out. Undecided

Ah, no - my problem isn't music carrying on after the game's hung up. That would just be ordinary bugginess Smiley. My problem is that the Sims 2 music carries on playing if I Alt-Tab to another application - like my web browser, or My Documents folder. The game is still happily running in the background, but paused, or on the Neighbourhood screen. (I have Sim While Minimised set to off).

It's an intermittent bug - sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't noticed any reason, except that it always happens at the most inconvenient moment, like if I have to check something "serious" online and don't really want plinky plonky Sims music distracting me from whatever it is. Sometimes the music carries on while I'm just at the Windows Desktop, and stops as soon as I actually launch another application; other times it carries on while I'm running whatever application.

If no one else has this, I'm very inclined to blame the Vaio. This machine actually managed to come with some preloaded Sony Vaio management software that is incompatible with the NVidia graphics card on it! I have to disable the Vaio software to use the features of the graphics card properly.

Thanks for the warning about the Lulu Lounge, btw - I searched & found this thread, which explains what the problem is. Weird.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 06, 14:10:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dart boards in restaurants: your dates run to them and waste the time on the meter. The dart boards are too close together as well and most of the time nobody can 'join' the dart game because someone else is playing the board to the right.

Instant gratification takes too long.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 06, 15:17:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I've just installed Nightlife.

Me too, finished early this morning.

Big thanks to all of the "beta testers" on the board.  (And of course the awesome modders!)  Time consuming, but relatively pain free since I've had the opportunity to read all of the threads here since NL was released.  Up and running with nearly a full arsenal of hacks.

Off to remove some dartboards...... Cheesy

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 06, 15:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I've just installed Nightlife.

Me too, finished early this morning.

Big thanks to all of the "beta testers" on the board.  (And of course the awesome modders!)  Time consuming, but relatively pain free since I've had the opportunity to read all of the threads here since NL was released.  Up and running with nearly a full arsenal of hacks.

Off to remove some dartboards...... Cheesy
the Dart boards at Bernards Botanical Gardens are not a problem in my game  every where else yes as the placement is too close

Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 02, 21:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone experienced this prob?  I usually only use three locations besides by B&B(which is so large that I only use it for special circumstances) I use Speedy's bowling alley for outings and The Crypt night Club for dates and Han's Trap Door for shopping(This has issues in my game because the phone and the trash can are parallel with the portal and causes passenger loading problems)  Well, I had this happen with three different sims.  When I would tell them to go to the car the computer would hang for about 5 min. our time so I would try to cancel query and they would shuffle around the perimeter of the building and not be able to use the car.  I would reset and the car would get back in position.  It took about an hour before I was able to figure out how to resolve this.  I think I had to take control of another sim,delete my sim and the car,restore my sim back and have him call a Taxi.  When he got home the car was waiting for him.  I stopped using the lot and used another.  But one day I was playing another sim and accidently went to the old lot and that sim didn't have any probs so I sent the original sim back and he got stuck.  This has happened with three different sims with two different lots.  It is like the lot is corrupt for that sim but not the others.  Nothing happened out of the ordinary to cause this but they did frequent that lot a lot.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: