More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 05:44:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Linux?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Linux?  (Read 4589 times)
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Linux?
« on: 2006 June 09, 20:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been looking into getting a version of linux for my laptop, but I'm confused about which would be the best choice since there's so many out there.  I tried ubuntu, but it didn't seem to support my laptop's native resolution (1280x800) and reminded me of the horrible MacOS X.  I'm currently downloading Fedora Core 5, but you've got to install it on the HDD so I want to be sure it supports the 1280x800 resolution and can be installed alongside Windows XP before doing anything.

I know that I want the thing to support KDE, since GNOME is the one that looks like MacOS X.  Which one do you use or would recommend? 
Danni
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ

View Profile WWW
Re: Linux?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 09, 20:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kubuntu- Ubuntu with KDE. Funny that you're having problems with the resolution, as that's the exact resolution my friend's laptop uses, and it works fine.

Try the Kubuntu Live CD/Installer, that way you can check it before you install it.

I like to be able to read people's posts.
kellinjar
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 10, 00:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Fedora Core 5 on my laptop, never had a problem with it. I also dual boot it on my desktop with Windows XP. I only run at 1024x768, so I haven't tried resolutions above that personally. When you install make sure to choose an appropriate monitor and then set the resolution (I've seen it support resolutions of at least 1600x1200 on the list)
If you need to just select generic LCD.
dano
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 12, 21:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Suse 10.0 on my new laptop and both my home and work desktop computers.  It's definitely my favorite.  It installed with no issues on all three.

dano
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 13, 09:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm planning to put fedora core 5 on an xp machine as a dual boot system. Pity Linux doesn't play sims 2 yet. Apparently WINE will do sims 1. Does anyone know if there are plans anywhere to get sims 2 going under Linux?

Another Linux I've downloaded is puppy linux - boots off a USB stick, I thought that sounded like fun. Haven't tried that yet either.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 13, 09:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am running Ubuntu Breezy on the hubby's puter. No Linux on mine as there is so far no way of running Sims 2 on Linux, although you can install it using VMWare, it just doesn't run very well because of the DirectX issues.

INTJ
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 13, 11:55:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never really like Gnome or KDE.  I was always a Window Maker guy myself.
sadiebutterfly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 13, 12:25:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another Linux I've downloaded is puppy linux - boots off a USB stick, I thought that sounded like fun. Haven't tried that yet either.

I like Puppy, mainly because it's the only distro I've found so far that works on my seven-year-old Toshiba.
kellinjar
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 13, 16:37:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm planning to put fedora core 5 on an xp machine as a dual boot system. Pity Linux doesn't play sims 2 yet. Apparently WINE will do sims 1. Does anyone know if there are plans anywhere to get sims 2 going under Linux?

They usually just work on api calls and if they do enough of them, certain games work. I know someone is working on doing directx for linux and once thats done its expected the game should run fine, but until then it won't run. I did get it to almost install (the eareg file causes a pain) but it had trouble reading one file off the DVD, I'm not sure if its my media or something else causing it.
fwiffo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 16, 00:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't let support or non-support by the distro for a particular resolution factor into your judgement of which distro to use.  You can just add a modeline to your X config if your distro doesn't do it for you.  It's kinda confusing if you haven't done it before, but you only have to do it once.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: