More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 16:21:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Remote Installation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Remote Installation  (Read 3263 times)
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
Remote Installation
« on: 2007 August 26, 23:27:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to reinstall my game on an exturnal harddrive and I would like advice on how to do this right.  I want to have both EA folders on the exturnal drive.  I also want to avoid the My Documents folders mimicing each other.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Remote Installation
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 26, 23:51:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you actually mean an external hard drive?  As in one that will be connected to your computer via a USB cable?  I've never tried doing what you are contemplating, but I would be concerned about running the Sims off an external drive.  Even with USB 2.0, it's going to be slow.

That being said, if you've made up your mind it is easily doable.  The installation of game files will go as it normally would, but you'll change the path to match your external drive.  The only tricky part will be getting the user content folder to a different location.  As far as I know, the only way to do this is to change the "Documents and Settings" path.  Since this is not ideal for many reasons, I suggest you leave the custom content where it is on the C: drive.

Again, I don't really think your performance using this method is going to be very good.
Kala
Dimwitted Dunce

Stop Screwing!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 27, 03:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The connection to the drive may be a fire wire connect unless my brother puts the drive in my tower.  The only reason I'm thinking about this is my brother refuses to reinstall my video card.

You can spell and that's great.  What else can you do?  Being an ass doesn't count.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 27, 03:30:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the solution is obvious: smack your brother. Alternatively, find someone else who knows what they are doing to do it instead...but still smack your brother.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 27, 10:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems to be a popular procedure these days, someone requested help on such issue at InSim as well and left my wondering why one would voluntarily suffer from the extra slow performance.

Anyway, do smack your brother, especially if he agrees to install that drive, but not your video card.
Heck, why don't you insist on both things, new drive and the video card?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 27, 10:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Video card installation is definitely something you can undertake yourself.  Here are the steps:
1.  Uninstall previous card from device manager (alternately, disable integrated graphics in device manager).
2.  Turn off computer.
3.  Unplug computer.
4.  Open computer.
5.  Remove existing card (if applicable).
6.  Insert new card.
7.  Connect any power connectors from PSU to card (only required on high end cards).
8.  Close computer, plug in computer, turn on computer.
9.  Laugh at the awful resolution.
10.  Download the drivers for your card from ATI or Nvidia (depending on card).
11.  Install drivers, restart, and you're good to go.

Some people like to use driver cleaner software in safe mode after uninstalling the old card.  This is optional.

Installing an HD is generally easy, but setting it up (especially if it's an IDE drive) can give you trouble.  Leave that bit for your lazy brother.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 27, 20:09:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally would do step 10) first - never attempt to install hardware without having the latest/correct drivers to hand. If for some reason you had to reboot in safe mode to install the offending drivers then you aren't going to have the internet access to download them.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 28, 06:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I totally agree. For each of my PCs I have a CD with a set of drivers that I know work - doesn't matter if they're not the latest, I can always upgrade later if I feel the need.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: