More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 05:35:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Game Decides to Just Not Work Anymore
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game Decides to Just Not Work Anymore  (Read 5112 times)
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Game Decides to Just Not Work Anymore
« on: 2006 July 15, 04:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I would remember the last thing that I was doing before this happens because this is the THIRD time this has happened to me, granted, over a period of almost a year.  However, I'll be playing the Sims, everything is fine and hunky dory and then the next time I start the game, it just doesn't run.  It gives it a try and then gives up.

At first I thought it was a CD problem but I don't use my CD anymore to play (nifty little program called Game Jackal) so I can't think of why this happens.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Reinstalling always fixes it but I figured I might as well poll the populous to see if I can find another solution.

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
Re: Game Decides to Just Not Work Anymore
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 15, 04:54:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That happened to me once. When I tried to load the game the next time, my power supply blew up. Is your computer kept sufficiently cool?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 15, 04:59:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Define "sufficiently".  I'm not sure.  How hot is too hot?  I mean, I doubt I could fry an egg on it but I'm sure I could melt wax given a couple hours of playing.

However, it was off all day and I just turned it on less than 2 hours ago.  Or maybe it was on standby all day.  Hmm...okay, maybe I'll let it rest overnight and test it again.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Smiley
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 15, 05:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm sure there are lots of other things that will cause it not to load. That's just what happened to me recently, and since it's summer, and the game uses so much processing power, it's a possibility. I thought my computer was fine too: well-ventilated, on top of the desk, nothing blocking the fans. But then it had a little fire. Tongue

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
gypsylady
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 15, 05:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try deleting your groups cache in C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 15, 05:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds like the "old car syndrome" I've had for ages. You just gotta bang on it a bit, mash the start icon about 30 times, one of them should load.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 15, 05:41:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just gotta bang on it a bit, mash the start icon about 30 times, one of them should load.

The words "bang" and "mash" make me uncomfortable when used around my 3-year old craptop.   Embarrassed  I've heard of this "groups cache" file corrupting and causing problems (the squiggly lines in text balloons?), what is this file, what does it do and will it regenerate if I delete it?
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 15, 05:44:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes it does regenerate. Smiley

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 15, 15:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The words "bang" and "mash" make me uncomfortable when used around my 3-year old craptop.   Embarrassed  I've heard of this "groups cache" file corrupting and causing problems (the squiggly lines in text balloons?), what is this file, what does it do and will it regenerate if I delete it?

It does regenerate, and as I understand it it caches a lot of info about what's in your The Sims 2 folder so the game loads faster next time.  But it does get farkled quite a bit, and many folks just make it a habit to delete it every time they play, and just live with a slightly longer loading time.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 15, 19:26:53 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 15, 16:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just deleted it and the game is running again.  Thanks everyone!  Smiley  Now I will happily sit here for 30 minutes as my game loads....   Undecided
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 15, 18:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, that's news to me. It always felt like the game ran a little bit faster each time I played it, but I thought that was me getting used to it.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 17, 07:52:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

groups.cache and cigen.cache apparently cache the thumbnails you get in the catalogs, CAS, and makeover screens. Deleting the cache files can cause a noticable delay when first opening any of these windows.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: