More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 12:45:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  problems playing certain media files + how to compress and convert TiVo files?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: problems playing certain media files + how to compress and convert TiVo files?  (Read 2338 times)
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
problems playing certain media files + how to compress and convert TiVo files?
« on: 2006 June 26, 19:29:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... I doubt this is a coincidence... but when I tried to play that video, it caused my computer to reboot. I don't think it was anything else that I happened to be doing, since I was only browsing.

I sent the error report in, and Microsoft came back with this.

I'm not sure if it may be a video card related thing or something else... I haven't had problems in the past trying to play video files (.wmv, .avi, etc.) but I did have a problem with converted tivo files. We recently got tivo (maybe a few months ago) and I installed the TiVo Desktop thing. It's great that I can copy over my tivo files to my computer... but they were so huge. I searched for a few free programs to try and convert TiVo files to .avi or .mpg and hopefully compress them. It appeared to work, but when I tried to play those files, they also caused my computer to reboot. I only briefly read about these programs, and they did say that they weren't exactly bug free. So I just assumed that the files were crappy and didn't bother with them anymore.

Anyways... I'm wondering then, if anyone else has encountered a similar problem playing this specific video file, or any video files i.e. playing a video file causes your machine to reboot (I'm running a legitimate Windows XP Home Edition afaik). And if so, how were you able to resolve the problem if at all.

Secondly, does anyone know of any good, free programs to compress and convert TiVo files into something more managable like .avi or .mpg? Thanks!

Feel free to move this into the Oops I Broke It! Forum if necessary.

Ste
« Last Edit: 2006 June 26, 22:04:53 by syberspunk » Logged

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Oops! I Broked It?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 26, 20:15:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just split off your post from that other thread, Ste.  Smiley
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: problems playing certain media files + how to compress and convert TiVo file
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 26, 22:06:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Blue. I only posted in that thread because I felt it was relevant since it happened when I tried to play that video file. I can play other video files fine, even ones that I download via bit torrent. *shrugs*

Ste

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: