More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 02:33:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Attempting to reinstall my OS and Reformat....
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Attempting to reinstall my OS and Reformat....  (Read 15330 times)
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Attempting to reinstall my OS and Reformat....
« on: 2006 June 13, 21:10:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ran into a nasty, nasty over the weekend and my virus cleanups can't get it all. Soooo since my pc is strictly a gaming PC with no personal info or anything saved on it other than husband's wrestling promo pics. I was just going to reinstall windows and reformat the harddrive to clear up the nasty thing that liked to mascarade as a windows security alert.

Problem number one: Alienware (where I got my pc, and am slightly regretting) gave me a faulty factory settings respawn disc. I put it in and suddenly my pc tries to import photos to Fotomat.

Okay whatever, I have all my driver cds and all that so I'll just do a clean wipe and not worry about factory settings. So I pull out my Windows Recovery CD they gave me.

No Window product serial number anywhere on the CD. Still okay, I found the product key by going through my paper work.

Running Windows XP setup and I come across problems, the setup is asking me for SCSI and some other things with initials. Now, I like to pretend that I'm computer savvy. But when I come across new things, I kinda need things color coded and labelled. For the life me, nothing I can find within the items I got from Alienware mention SCSI ANYWHERE.

When I try to make setup look for itself, it fails to find it. The only floppy disc I got from Alienware says SATA Disc. Is this the magical floppy I need that has all the things Windows setup wants?

Why couldn't things happen automagically? All the stupid nasties I get are all automagic. Why can't the things I NEED to work right away with no direction of me, DON'T?

Anyways, feel free to point and laugh, but help would be appreciated. Anything to avoid the PC Repair shop. I don't really feel right paying $90 for a reinstall and a reformat.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Attempting to reinstall my OS and Reformat....
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 13, 21:12:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ignore the SCSI thing, that's just asking if you need some custom driver, but you probably don't.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 13, 21:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the first time I tried to skip it, it said it couldn't find the blah blah and exited setup.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 13, 21:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OKay, I have to ask...but this has been bugging me for some time.

What the heck is your avatar about?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 13, 21:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fanart.

It's supposed to be Atton and The Exile from KOTOR II by Aimo.

Full version of it:

http://aimostudio.com/gallery/images/072.jpg

I resized a bunch of her stuff to over-ride the default Sim Paintings. This one was one of my favs and it fit as an avatar, so I used it. =p
« Last Edit: 2006 June 13, 21:30:56 by Jelenedra » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 13, 21:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's supposed to be Atton and The Exile from KOTOR II by Aimo.

Full version of it:

http://aimostudio.com/gallery/images/072.jpg
That link doesn't work, and which one is which?

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 13, 22:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bah, sorry she must not allow direct linking.

www.aimostudio.com

Should take you to her main site though.

Atton is the black haired male and The Exile is the female.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 14, 03:12:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That site lost me. I don't read Arabic, sorry.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 14, 09:19:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried putting that floppy disk into the drive and going into My Computer, then right-clicking the floppy drive icon and clicking on Explore?  that would at least tell you whether the thing you need is there.

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 14, 12:57:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SATA relates to your hard drive, so it's probably the driver for that or something.  Not much help I know, but just thought I'd mention it!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 14, 13:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe some motherboards needs drivers to be able to run SATA-discs as system discs. I know mine did and we had to copy them to a floppy that Windows asked for in the beginning of the installation.

My guess is that if you have a SATA-disc as system disc the floppy you found is what it's asking for.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 14, 15:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, thanks everyone. I'm trying to get this figured out.

Hopefully I'll be able to do it on my own NEXT TIME. (knocks wood)

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 14, 15:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ran into a nasty, nasty over the weekend and my virus cleanups can't get it all. Soooo since my pc is strictly a gaming PC with no personal info or anything saved on it other than husband's wrestling promo pics. I was just going to reinstall windows and reformat the harddrive to clear up the nasty thing that liked to mascarade as a windows security alert.

Would that be the wonderful Winfixer pop up?

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 14, 16:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmm, I dunno. It would say stuff like "You have a virus! Click here to download a free scan!" "A program is attempting to send to an unknown source!" "You have over the minimum 7 spyware blah blah"

"Dlasse.exe has terminated unexpectantly. Windows is shutting down!"

But then it wouldn't shut down. The box just vanished.

Then every once and awhile it would pull up my IE and take me to antispywarebox.com for a FREE SCAN!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 14, 16:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These programs and the people who create them are a total menace!  Watch out too for a company calling itself InKline Global and read what it says here.

http://bmonday.com/archive/2006/03/31/3024.aspx

Zephyr Zodiac
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 14, 16:48:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah the first clue was the fact that it was MICROSOFT telling me to go somewhere other than MICROSOFT for something.

I'm pretty sure they don't do that whole.... cooperation thing.

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 14, 16:56:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmm, I dunno. It would say stuff like "You have a virus! Click here to download a free scan!" "A program is attempting to send to an unknown source!" "You have over the minimum 7 spyware blah blah"

"Dlasse.exe has terminated unexpectantly. Windows is shutting down!"

But then it wouldn't shut down. The box just vanished.

Then every once and awhile it would pull up my IE and take me to antispywarebox.com for a FREE SCAN!

I was just curious. I had the Winfixer happen to me (sounds a lot like what you are describing) but Norton and Ad-aware couldn't get rid of it. Finally removed it with Spysweeper (I don't know a thing about reinstalling Windows and/or reformatting, so glad I didn't have do that).

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 14, 17:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ignore the SCSI thing, that's just asking if you need some custom driver, but you probably don't.

Some motherboards (chipsets) require that SATA drivers be installed at the beginning of an installation of WinXP, probably because SATA wasn't around in 2001 and so XP doesn't recognize your SATA drives (assuming you have SATA drives!). I've not had to do this myself since I have SCSI drives in my PC, but as I understand it you should get a message at the beginning of the XP installation process to the effect of press a function key (is it F6?) if you need to install third-party drivers. I'm guessing you need to say "yes" when asked if you need to install SCSI drivers, and then insert the SATA disc you have from Alienware and follow the directions.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 15, 00:25:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sooo, when trying to run setup for windows xp home edition. It says "cannot find viasrai.sys" and then shuts down set up.

Comments, suggestions, point and laugh?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 June 15, 00:34:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get XP Pro Corporate. Home edition is spyware.

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 June 15, 01:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm . . . .

1)  Have you already reformatted the disk, so there's nothing on it? Some versions of Windows setup will automatically reformat the drive before installing (or at least ask if you want to),while others will only reinstall/refresh an existing installation if there is one. It sounds like you need to install to a clean drive.

2)  Does your motherboard have a VIA chipset? A Google search turns up no mention of "viasrai.sys" and it's not a file I have on my Intel-based PC. The via in viasrai.sys makes me think you do have a VIA chipset, and it may be that you need to install the chipset drivers before you can install Windows (or at least during the early stages of installing Windows).  Tongue

After poking around VIA's Web site, I'm guessing the missing file is viasraid.sys, which would be the RAID/SATA driver for your chipset.

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=20&threadid=72561&enterthread=y

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 June 15, 16:01:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that was a typo. It was a viasraid.sys file that's missing, but I've kinda given up on trying to fix it on my own. I obiviously am not teh awesomer. Just going to take to someone who is more awesome than I and have them fix me up right.

It would've been nice if that respawn disc I got actually worked. Charged me 40 bucks for it and it does jack.

Stupid Alienware.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 June 15, 16:55:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jelenedra, you need to persevere!  The first time I opened SimPE, I thought, hell, I'll never understand this, it's so technical!  Now, I won't say I understand it now, but I can do a lot more with it than I could back then, and only because I'm obstinate!

Zephyr Zodiac
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 June 15, 17:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am getting better. I was so afraid of SimPe for the longest. Then I learned how to add genetic codes to custom skintones and using SimPe was the only way. Had to swallow my fear and suck it up. Now I got binned hairs and genetic friendly skintones. Whoo!

I just got to get smarter about my OS.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 June 15, 19:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose to some extent it depends on what you can afford to do - if you can't afford to pay someone, you have to learn or go without!

Mind you, I just hope I don't have to reinstall for a good while yet, the thought scares me as I have so much stuff I don't want to lose sitting on my second HD, and although I've been assured that reformatting my main drive and reinstalling the OS won't affect theat drive, I just don't really believe it - and I'm not really able to get the case off and unplug the 2nd drive these days.  (I can't even do a system restore back very far as all my darn restore points have disappeared - which seems to happen at regular intervals!  (Annoying, the things are still around, taking up space, but I can't use them!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: