More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 00:26:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Reducing Initial Cash
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reducing Initial Cash  (Read 10153 times)
laracon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Reducing Initial Cash
« on: 2005 July 25, 08:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, is it possible to reduce the initial start cash from 20,000 to a lower figure - 15,000 or 10,000.
Enough to build a half decent place but without the luxuries?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Reducing Initial Cash
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 25, 09:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe, but I'm not looking terribly hard. I don't create terribly many sims anymore, and $20K isn't really enough to create a "luxury" place anyway. With less money, you're not really losing anything except some walls, which are strictly speaking more of a luxury than a necessity. As it stands, you're usually already shaving luxuries like, say, back and side walls, as well as paint and flooring.

So the housing wouldn't really get less functional unless you reduced them to extreme poverty, like the below 5K line, they'd just get uglier.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 25, 11:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Easiest way is to move them into a Maxis house, leave them for 24 hours, then move them out - the value of everything will have dropped and they will move out with less cash than when they moved in!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 25, 11:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the easiest way was to send money to a townie.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 25, 16:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they're new sims, would they know a townie to send it to - from the families bin?  (Plus you need to have the hack installed.)

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 25, 17:24:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, but I'm sure one will greet you shortly. And why WOULDN'T you have the object installed? It's actually a self-contained object, and not really a hack at all.

LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 25, 18:03:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting less than 20K seems illogical.  I mean, 20K barely pays for a (small) starting house anyway, so with less than that, the only thing you're going to be able to buy is a small plot of land or a decommissioned military bunker in Montana.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 25, 18:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is also a way to do it in SimPe, but you would have to exit the game first. Simply go into SimBrowser, click the Family Instance link and take their money away. I don't know whether you have to plop them on a lot or if you can do that when they are still in the bin. I've always just plopped them onto a lot first if I had to exit and go into SimPe for any reason.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 25, 18:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting less than 20K seems illogical.  I mean, 20K barely pays for a (small) starting house anyway, so with less than that, the only thing you're going to be able to buy is a small plot of land or a decommissioned military bunker in Montana.
Well, starting with less than that means that you don't get a house of any kind: You get a collection of lawn furniture, since obviously, you need the furniture more than you need the luxury of walls.

laracon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 25, 18:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From my point of view, 10000 is more than adequate to acquire everything that is needed on day one. (That does include building walls etc which are hardly needed) PLUS, if two sims get together currently, they get the added benefit of another 20000 (or so). - hardly the scenario for a young married couple needing to make their way. In fact they hardly need to work. Ever!
  This, when compared with their offspring using the no 20k handout mod (my favourite hack), is too generous. I believe a significant reduction compliments that hack.

Am I convincing you?   

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 25, 18:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From my point of view, 10000 is more than adequate to acquire everything that is needed on day one. (That does include building walls etc which are hardly needed) PLUS, if two sims get together currently, they get the added benefit of another 20000 (or so). - hardly the scenario for a young married couple needing to make their way. In fact they hardly need to work. Ever!
Well, technically, they hardly need to work ever because when you have no possessions, you also don't have any bills to speak of.

This, when compared with their offspring using the no 20k handout mod (my favourite hack), is too generous. I believe a significant reduction compliments that hack.
Would you be happier if they started with zilch? Not a single penny beyond the $2600 you need for a piece of dirt so that you can even exist?

Alternatively, you could try bringing them up as College CASites. That should ensure that they begin with a puny $500 to their wallet, live in the dorms for their college careers, and finally move out of the dorm penniless and destitute in some random amount, sorta like real college students....except as CASites, they have no parents to move back with!

laracon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 25, 20:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I would just like to see less initial cash.

Financial constraints balanced against aspirational needs probably summarises it.
Changing child care, maid service costs etc. and revamping wages, work hours and skill requirements is within my ability and clearly trivial for you  - but since I can't change aspirations, this is the other option.   
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 25, 20:55:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I would just like to see less initial cash.
I have every reason to believe that the raw-starting-cash is partially hardcoded.

Financial constraints balanced against aspirational needs probably summarises it.
Changing child care, maid service costs etc. and revamping wages, work hours and skill requirements is within my ability and clearly trivial for you  - but since I can't change aspirations, this is the other option.   
Well, child care doesn't cost anything. Child ABUSE costs a token amount of cash, but actual care doesn't cost anything. Besides, anyone who's lived the E-Mail Challenge knows that you need surprisingly little. And I don't suppose you need maid service, no matter how much or how little it costs, if you can't afford anything to clean in the first place. That's really the thing with your goal: If you want to send your sims into abject poverty, you CAN, but then they may actually like it and won't have any expenses, and you'll lose the entire "struggle" again since without expenses, they don't have to worry about much.

laracon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 25, 22:02:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The struggle is for them to have relative success in their lives, not for every single one of them to get A+ grades, perfect college marks and reach the top of their career and thats with my 9 year old daughter playing.

Behind that dry wit, your point is profound.                                                           
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 25, 22:33:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, what would be really cool is to start them out at $0 and everything they buy puts them into debt (with interest payments, of course).

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 25, 22:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, what would be really cool is to start them out at $0 and everything they buy puts them into debt (with interest payments, of course).

The loan idea is quite interesting. Ofcourse, only with the appropriate interest charges.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 25, 22:42:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You used to be able to do that in SimCity - start the game with a bond which you had to pay off.

Zephyr Zodiac
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 25, 22:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got around the 'initial 20K' thing somewhat by populating a town with mostly college graduates.  It does take a heckuva lot of time to put those students through their paces, but the lack of freebies does make things a little more challenging.

To give the poorest of the poor graduates somewhere to hang their hat, I've created an apartment block in the main neighbourhood, since there aren't any parents to go back to yet.

laracon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 28, 20:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you. Now those sims will have to be a touch more frugal.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: