More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 04:41:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem  (Read 14035 times)
blackvelvet
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem
« on: 2007 October 17, 11:27:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't get it... I know there's a problem but despite reading many threads I just don't understand what it is precisely, in a completely computer-stupid way.

I bought BV, installed no problem, but the longer (in RL) I played, the greater the lag. To the point it was taking around 5 minutes to walk from the 'call a taxi' phone to the lot exit portal on a small/medium lot. Luckily, I hadn't played BV long enough to get attached, threw up my hands and uninstalled.  I simply assumed that BV was the straw that broke the camel's back and was simply too much for my pc - I have just 512RAM, all eps plus GL and H&M.

So. Was the extreme lag caused by this SecuRom... thingy? Was it something else? I did the 'bypass the launcher' thing but I'm never disconnected from the internet (some sort of hardware problem; I disconnect, I can't get a persistent connection later)

Please, please, please don't direct me to other threads for an explanation because I've read most of the ones here and and at the official site and it. All. Goes. Over. My. Head.

I'd really like to reinstall BV, so I just want to know;
A) What the problem is? and
B) How could it affect me and my pc

thnx
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Not comprehending the BV/SecuRom problem
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 17, 11:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the extreme lag is caused by playing on a fucking 512MB RAM PC!  Seriously!  Buy more ram or don't even think about complaining about anything else.

512, jeez...

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 17, 11:36:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NEEDS MOAR RAMS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
blackvelvet
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 17, 11:48:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buy more ram or don't even think about complaining about anything else.

Wasn't complaining, I was asking and you answered, so thnx.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 17, 14:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, moar rams. The min. requirement is 512 MB, but in the manual it states that if you have more than 5 EPs or Stuff packs, you should have at least a GIG.

It's fairly cheap to upgrade too, and easy to install.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 17, 14:53:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buy more ram or don't even think about complaining about anything else.

Wasn't complaining, I was asking and you answered, so thnx.
Pfft. You were trying to blame BV or SecuROM for your own ineptitude in reading the system requirements.

Seriously, more RAM. RAM makes it go whoosh. Did you know there were special event videos in the game? Can't see them with that piddly RAM amount. 1 gig is your absolute minimum for base + two or more EPs (the official site is too dang conservative and apparently thinks we like to play at 1 sim day = 1 real day), but if you can get up to 2 gigs it's best.

*planning on doubling up to 4 gigs RAM before Christmas*

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 17, 15:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Gwill has 4 gigs

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 17, 15:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*throws stuff at Gwill*
Do you also have the ATI Radeon x1950s I'm planning on getting? Brat.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 17, 15:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah, it's an old Sapphire Radeon X700 from 2005.  I might have to find a way to seriously upgrade my whole computer.  The RAM and one of the hard drives are soon going to be the only bits worth keeping.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 17, 15:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

512 ?? good lord.  I had 1 GB and I had to turn off every non essential service and apps on my PC, just to play a smallish house with not too many people in it.  The minute I started getting a lot of visitors, the game would start swapping heavily and slow to a crawl.  2 GB should be your minimum.

But yeah, wasn't there some issue with the game becoming reaaaaally slow until you denied the game access to the net? 

BTW, you wouldn't necessarily have to shut your internet off when you play the game.  I would assume denying the game access to the net is enough.  Which means running a firewall.  Which means less ram for the game which means....

MOAR RAMS

unless you use your host file to do the job.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 17, 15:54:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seriously, more RAM. RAM makes it go whoosh. Did you know there were special event videos in the game? Can't see them with that piddly RAM amount. 1 gig is your absolute minimum for base + two or more EPs (the official site is too dang conservative and apparently thinks we like to play at 1 sim day = 1 real day), but if you can get up to 2 gigs it's best.
Actually, you can see the special event scenes with that amount of RAM, as I could see them on my old PC, and that only had 512MB of RAM. However, they're disabled on my new PC (for an obvious reason: 512MB of RAM + all EPs up to Seasons + Vista = . I haven't even tried playing in months, what with the slowdown, and the lag).

* Venusy is pushing up his RAM to his system's limit when Ebuyer decides to dispatch his order.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 17, 17:00:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

512 ?? good lord.  I had 1 GB and I had to turn off every non essential service and apps on my PC, just to play a smallish house with not too many people in it.  The minute I started getting a lot of visitors, the game would start swapping heavily and slow to a crawl.  2 GB should be your minimum.

I would never try to play with 512.  On the other hand, with 1 GB I can run things just fine.  There is, admittedly, a bit of a crawl factor if I have more than 4 sims on a lot with a large house.  I don't play with a lot of trees.  Special events videos run fine (I turn them off 'cos they bore me - after 6 "first kisses", you've seen 'em all).

But yeah, wasn't there some issue with the game becoming reaaaaally slow until you denied the game access to the net? 

People certainly reported this.  I have never actually had the computer connected when playing, not even to register.  It has never "phoned home".  I have no lag issues.  Possibly coincidence, but...

I still want MOAR RAMS!

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 October 17, 18:55:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 October 17, 18:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

512 is what my half-power PC is running on now. It handled special events and all EPs up to Petz fine. I just didn't trust it with Seasons, so I upgraded before I installed Seasons. Then, my other RAM stick blew up too, so I'm back to 512. I haven't been brave enough to try the Sims + Seasons with only 512.

Thankfully, I just need to get off my lazy butt and trudge over to Best Buy for my $35 RAM to get back up to snuff.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 October 17, 18:59:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*rofl - jolrei can't breathe for laughing*

Perhaps I should have been more specific...

Tribulatio proxima est
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 October 17, 19:06:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do Wink  *is smug*
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 October 17, 19:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do Wink  *is smug*
I hate you. And because no one loves me in the upgrade thread, can you upgrade processors? I have an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs) But if I can get better, I want better, because I'm a spoiled brat who gets everything she wants (but has to pay for it herself). I'm coming out of laptop world, where upgradability is an urban myth. It's nice to be able to get new shinies without delving out $2000 for a whole new system.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 October 17, 19:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes you can, providing you get one that is compatible with your mobo (check the socket compatibilty).

However I curse you because I am feeling inadequate with my 2 gig of RAM and am just browsing overclockers.co.uk for MOAR! Tongue
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 October 17, 19:18:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zaz, as far as I know, you can has new processorz. The last time I upgraded one it was simply a matter of popping the old one off the motherboard and plugging the new one into it's place. There's probably more to it than that, but I wasn't the one who bought the thing, I was just the one doing the manual labor. Tongue

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
Blueblood
Blathering Buffoon

My very own a The Cheat gnome! o.O

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 October 17, 19:28:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe my computer's a freak or something. I have 512 MB of RAM and run all EPs and SPs without lag problems like the OP experienced. Sure I get lag sometimes, like when someone just got their brain munched and turned into a zombie, but that's not unusual. BV hotels seem to be the only thing it really has a hard time with. I also play with the crappy graphics card the came with this computer four years ago. *shrugs*
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 October 17, 19:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Zazazu - A new processor and mobo together can be bought and installed reasonably easily (in a couple of hours) and for much less than $2K.  Then you just have to make sure your RAMZ and your video, sound, other cards work with your board.

Ya - probably easiest if you just upgrade the processor.  Match socket size.  If you have your board specs that will likely tell you what's compatible.

As for "more to do than popping out the old and popping in the new", there is a BIOS config setup step, but instructions for that should come with your new processor.

I built my own rig last year (first time - no real experience with that at the time) and the RTFM stuff included with the parts I bought were very good.  I cannibalized anything I could from my old rig (which is why I live with a 2x CD-burner). 

There are also "how to build your own PC" instructions on the intarwebs that are good.  These are the ones I used:
http://www.buildeasypc.com/
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

You actually sound (from posts) like you're more 'puter savvy than I am, so I can't imagine you'd have much trouble with this.

Tribulatio proxima est
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 October 17, 19:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My old computer had 512 MB and it played TS2 just fine (granted that was back when Pets came out, and I had the swap file on a different hard drive).

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 October 17, 20:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, when I was being cheap, my game loved my 512 mb. I didn't have much CC then though. I got picky about my CC last year.

Only took three minutes on the loading times too.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 October 17, 20:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have only 768 RAM and whatever else my ATI 9700 throws in, and my cutscenes (or whatever it's called in SimLand) are present and accounted for. I'm looking at one right now. Shy sim, my great aunt fanny.

It stutter-lags only on occasions, when treasure digging stuff is found, or when suntan/burn is applied, etc.

I run it on the highest setting with only shadows and reflections turned off. I have 1.3 GB of CC, by the way.

Of course, I delete the .cache files and thumbnails every time before logging in, but that's about the only 'special' thing I do.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 October 17, 20:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why clear the cache and the thumbnails?

Doesn't that make loading the game slower? (And going through CAS more annoying?)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: