More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 17:13:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Wishes for Book Reading: Which books are which?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Wishes for Book Reading: Which books are which?  (Read 12471 times)
Grumblesnort
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Wishes for Book Reading: Which books are which?
« on: 2009 June 18, 16:13:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the past few real days, I've had this child-aged, Bookworm sim with the wish to "Read a Book About Writing". For my sanity, I just cannot seem to find a book about Writing for her to read. She's starting to annoy me. I've had her read most of what she's able to, but alas, the wish remains unfulfilled. I considered that it could be, perhaps, an overzealous child wishing to do something her age does not permit, but I encountered this problem with her grandfather and mother, too, who both wished to read books about Writing and Painting respectively. I abandoned those intellectual pursuits for Athletic training at the time, due to not easily finding the books and having other plans for those sims.

Does anyone know which book titles count for the "Read a Book About..." wishes for Writing, Painting, and...I'm thinking there's another one, but perhaps not. Through my web-searching, I've seen the lists of the books available at the bookstore and their costs, genres, and such, but it seems no one else has had this problem, or at least hasn't written about it.
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Wishes for Book Reading: Which books are which?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 18, 18:26:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to go to the bookstore and buy the books. The ones you are looking for are under "skilling".
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 18, 18:43:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to go to the bookstore and buy the books. The ones you are looking for are under "skilling".

The ones he is looking for are NOT under skilling.  I don't know where they are, or if they even exist, but the only books under skilling are for cooking, charisma, gardening, logic and handiness.

I've never had these particular wishes come up.

ETA: Have you tried fingerpainting 101, Don't Stay Within the Lines or Handprints of the Masters? 
« Last Edit: 2009 June 18, 18:50:34 by Roflganger » Logged

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 18, 18:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never gotten these wishes, either, but there are two books about painting in the children's section of the bookstore. One is Fingerpainting 101, iirc, and I don't remember the title of the other, but it is clearly about art. I don't know if reading them will count for the wish, as I've never gotten the wish. Having toddlers read these books helps them with painting skill points later in life, I don't know if other age stages can even use them (except having older ones read to toddlers).
I don't know of any books about writing.
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 18, 18:54:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've gotten the wishes, but, didn't try and fulfill them. I thought they would be in the skilling section. I guess that's what I get for "thinking".
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 18, 18:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a bad wish, cause the only way my sims have learned about writing is taking a class, or on the computer. Maybe some buggy wish came up. Then again, I don't know everything about the game.  Wink

Fake Edit:  I just remembered, there's a book under children at the bookstore that cost around 125 - 150 simoleons. Don't remember the name, but check those books. I forgot children can read the toddler books.

Edit: Just checked out the toddler/children books at the bookstore. Maybe the "Jimmy Sprocket" books may influence writing. Made a couple of screenshots of the book choices. Googled toddler/children books for the Sims 3, but no one has written what those books skills are.

EDIT: removed image links.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 19, 12:43:06 by brownlustgirl » Logged

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Grumblesnort
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 18, 21:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just popped into the game to check out the suggestions. It turns out I had purchased every book in the children's section of the bookstore when the girl was born, but they were forgotten and never read. Every book in the children's section is unreadable except "Where's Bella?" and "The Adventures of Raymundo"; the unreadable ones are grayed out when clicked directly and missing from the "Read..." menu when clicking the bookcase. Just to check, I had her read "Stragedy and Other Messterpieces", which made the choice for "Illustrious Author" as the lifetime wish pop up, but didn't fulfill the "Read a Book About Writing" wish. Afterward, I forced her to read everything from "Abstract with Turkey" to "On the Margins" to a book her grandfather wrote called "Warp Factor Infinity", all to no avail.

As far as I can tell, she's read at least one book in every listed genre, and still has that infuriating wish sitting in the window, mocking me. Since I've come this far, I'll enable the motives lock and just have her read non-stop, starting from the top of the bookstore list. Once I'm sure she's read every book (excluding, obviously, sim-written ones), I'll be willing to throw in the towel. I don't have a sim with the "Read a Book About Painting" wish, but if it pops up again, I'll do the same thing. I'll keep an eye out for them at all ages, too, in case it is as I suspected earlier and just a case of getting the wish too early or too late in life.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 18, 22:13:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I misunderstood that the toddler books may be enjoyed later, thinking when they grew up to child. Nope, the toddlers read the books if you leave it on the floor.  Didn't know that.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/mailchaser40/Pictures%201/The%20Sims%203/Screenshot-36-1.jpg

Back to playing. I need to play more.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 18, 22:27:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's good to know. Here, all along, I've been having the parents read the books with the toddler to fill up the skill bar.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
neder
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 19, 00:25:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Grumblesnort
Is it possible that there are books in the Library that aren't available at the Bookstore?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 19, 00:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some wishes are simply invalid, and this is one of them, I suspect. I occasionally get a sim wishing to have a beefier arm. The problem is, their arm is as beefy as it gets, and so the wish is unfillable because their beefy-armness is maxed out.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nimrod
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 19, 00:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the wish department missed the memo from the object department: "Scrap the wish for reading writing/painting books, they won't exist."
Dab
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 19, 02:40:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If nothing else, you may be able to get the book in question from an oppurtunity a household member has had in the journalism career. I noticed tonight you get to keep those books.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 19, 12:47:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh. I'm gonna put a mess of toddler books on the floor of the nursery wing when I get home. :3
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 19, 14:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are 3 toddler books for each Fun, Painting, Logic, and Writing.  Unfortunately they all have names like "ToddlerBookWriting1" in the XML, but they are all available from the book store.  Each category has a book valued at 50, 125, and 210.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 19, 14:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a sim buy the toddler skilling books and then I shove them in the kid's inventory, then just pull them out one at a time. That way I make sure that each book gets read at least once. Even babies can have books in their inventories.

More F than you
Grumblesnort
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 19, 14:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Invalid wish is completely right. I sat that child sim down and had her read for two and half days straight, including all of the books available in the library. Mind you, she doesn't have access to certain books, like toddler stuff and skill books, because of her age, but nothing fulfilled the wish.

I'll gladly right-click to cancel these wishes from now on, but I am still wondering about the Painting one. At least there are vaguely labeled books for that topic. No luck yet on getting the wish to read a Painting book, though.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 19, 15:39:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've left kid books all over the place and have yet to succeed in either having a toddler read one or having a parent read it to the toddler.  I've wondered if it was trait specific.  Very annoying.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 19, 16:03:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had toddler sims with varying traits pounce on books with every sign of enjoyment. That could be because that is the only fun available to them; I tend to remove the logic blocks and xylophone once those skills are maxed. You can direct toddlers to read if a book is on the floor, they do not have to be taught to read.

More F than you
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 19, 16:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I've tried having a toddler click on a book, there's never been an interaction available.  I shall have to try again sometime, I suppose.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
anaximander
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 19, 20:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I've tried having a toddler click on a book, there's never been an interaction available.  I shall have to try again sometime, I suppose.

Well, despite apparent inherent literacy, they can not read books with big, complicated words. It's only the cute/obnoxiously titled books under "child development" that can be read by sprogs.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 19, 20:04:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, despite apparent inherent literacy, they can not read books with big, complicated words. It's only the cute/obnoxiously titled books under "child development" that can be read by sprogs.

Yes, dear, I did try the little kiddie books.  I'm obviously cursed in this situation.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 19, 20:27:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dragged them in live mode out of the bookcase or out of personal inventory and set them on the floor, yes.  Tried clicking on them; no go.  My kids are all tards.

It's fine, really.  I've decided that most of this game works off voodoo, and my reading mojo must have been off when I was trying to make the damn kids read.  I'll try again another time and it'll work wonderfully well, no doubt.  Y'all don't worry about it.  I was just venting.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 19, 20:34:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Talking of unfulfillable (sp?) wants, my pregnant sim had a want to eat spaghetti and ice cream.  I found the icecream but never worked out the spaghetti.  The bump is a worm now anyway.  (larva, whatever).

Inteen for AL, yay!
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 19, 22:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did satisfy that wish. I had the sim to eat icecream first, then eat a plate of spaghetti. I got the points. She was a stuffed turkey after that.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: