More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 30, 01:47:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  S.O.S. Save our Sims
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: S.O.S. Save our Sims  (Read 13367 times)
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
S.O.S. Save our Sims
« on: 2006 January 11, 12:54:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me again with probably another much talked about topic...  I want to reinstall my game and E.P.s but my kids have close ties with their families, how do I go about (in English) saving them to file so I can reload them later.. Embarrassed

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: S.O.S. Save our Sims
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 11, 13:03:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well if the families are not corrupt and not the reason you are reinstalling you could take the entire neighborhood folder to your desktop or some other safe place while you reinstall. To me this is the simpliest and safest method. Once you have the game reinstalled just place the neighborhood folder back where it belongs.

There are other options that require extensive use of Simpe. You can extract them but they loose all their personal data (relationships skills memories etc). You can also package the houses with the families in them while in game mode - click on house and package to file. This will require more simpe work however because of all the memories and dups they will bring with them.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 11, 13:19:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Nectere, I think this is the 2nd time today that you have helped me out. Cool

flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 11, 13:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin;DYou are a champ nectere, I just tried to package a lot to file and it worked a treat.  Grin Grin

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 11, 14:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, I don't think you entirely listened to Nectere.

DO NOT PUT THOSE FILES BACK INTO THE GAME! Just don't. If you thought your neighborhood was FUBAR now, just wait until you put those back....oh, yes. Just...don't do that.

If you're JUST reinstalling the game, just rename your "EAGAME~1\THESIM~1" folder to something else, or move it elsewhere.

Then reinstall, and change it back. DO NOT INSTALL PACKAGED OCCUPIED LOTS! NEVER DO THIS!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 11, 15:01:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As nectere said, that's the easy part, flowerchile!  You will need to edit the characters file in simPE later as there will be a lot of extraneous files brought with them.

By the way, nectere, I noticed something today with this old hood, where I'd (long ago, before I knew about MATY, moved the Brokes (lot and all) into the bin before replacing them, so Dustin would lose his connexion to Angela and the burglar.  Well, what I got back when I replaced the house was not the original family at all, it was a set of clones, the originals were the unlinked ones.  It's also completely screwed up all the relationships with Brandi's parents etc., and I've now got the mammoth task of editing every darned duplicated ghost to make sure I have the same things in all their memories!  

So beware, flowerchile, I hope packaging to a file works differently and you do get the original families and not clones!  But I wouldn't bank on it!

Zephyr Zodiac
cristalfiona
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 11, 15:05:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Nectere actually just meant to move your Neighbourhoods folder to your desktop- found in EAGames-Sims 2-Neighbourhoods (i think), then replace the new ones with the old after you reinstall, not to package the lots and replace those.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 11, 15:10:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the second paragraph of the post, nectere did mention the packaging option, but with warnings!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 11, 15:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the second paragraph of the post, nectere did mention the packaging option, but with warnings!
I don't think Nectere put enough emphasis on the warnings. Frankly, somebody who asks the kind of question above  is not in a position to understand anything deeper than "THIS IS BAD! DO NOT DO THIS!".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 11, 15:29:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but if we all heeded that warning, we'd never learn anything!  Personally, I'd say it's easier to clone all the sims you want to keep, note down all their personalities etc. and then recreate them in CAS, after which edit the files in SimpE so they have all the correct data, than it is to clean up the mistakes caused by packaging!

However, flowerchile, if you also want to save your houses then that is entirely problem-free if you use CleanInstaller to reinstall them, but just the lot segment, nothing else, and have never used any terrain paints other than the Maxis ones in your game and haven't even got any custom ones in the folder.

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 11, 16:46:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

egads, I didn't realize that I wasn't being graphic enough...

please note:

UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO SPEND SEVERAL HOURS IN SIMPE EDITING FILES AND ARE WILLING TO RISK BLOWING UP YOUR GAME AND HAVING TO DELETE YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS OF BELOVED SIMS THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAVE - PLEASE DO NOT USE OPTION C WHICH IS TO PACKAGE THE LOTS WITH SIMS IN THEM FOR REINTERGRATION AT A LATER DATE...

With that said in explicit detail, I do realize you will never learn anything without risk, trial and error. The simplest method once again, is to simply move your neighborhood folders with the sims you want to keep to a safe place and then put those folders back after reinstallation is complete, overwriting any neighborhoods that are a duplicate to the ones you moved, i.e pleasantview etc.

Again, if you are not comfortable with SIMPE and or are ready to get comfy with it because you will spend lots of time editing, then DO NOT PACKAGE THE SIMS IN LOTS....

There. Is that clear enough?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 11, 16:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think JM will get the message! Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 11, 21:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First, I do not intend to counter the advice of people that no doubt push gameplay past where I'll ever go.  I ask this merely for my information.
DO NOT INSTALL PACKAGED OCCUPIED LOTS! NEVER DO THIS!
I've done this moving families from one neighborhood to another.  My game was in no way hosed at the time. The only problem I noticed was I lost those wonderful recurring "Paint a masterpiece" wants (talk about an easy way to keep that aspiration meter filled).

What was supposed to go wrong?
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 11, 21:41:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You basically set off a time bomb in your neighborhood. Those sims will bring copies of the files of EVERY SIM THEY EVER MET in the old neighborhood who wasn't on the lot with them. This is so they have something to reference in their memories (I guess) but it's a very bad thing, because there are serious errors associated with having massive numbers of sims in your neighborhood, due to asinine coding, and you really don't want to be filling up your neighborhood with junk files. Plus, those junk files can cause problems just on their own.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 11, 22:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And not only that, but from what I found, you don't actually get the original copy of your sims as playable characters, you get clones, while the originals also become "unlinked" - and can also wander around your hood!

Zephyr Zodiac
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 11, 22:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You basically set off a time bomb in your neighborhood. Those sims will bring copies of the files of EVERY SIM THEY EVER MET in the old neighborhood who wasn't on the lot with them. This is so they have something to reference in their memories (I guess) but it's a very bad thing, because there are serious errors associated with having massive numbers of sims in your neighborhood, due to asinine coding, and you really don't want to be filling up your neighborhood with junk files. Plus, those junk files can cause problems just on their own.
Come to think of it, I noticed that when installing the packages.  I use CleanInstaller and I deleted those unused characters before I installed them.  Along with any custom content that would have duplicated.  Possibly I have dodged a bullet here without realizing it was ever fired.

And not only that, but from what I found, you don't actually get the original copy of your sims as playable characters, you get clones, while the originals also become "unlinked" - and can also wander around your hood!
Haven't seen this, but the old characters are in another hood.

Update: Of course, since they'd be the same Sim this could be hard to notice.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 11, 22:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would help to delete them in cleaninstaller, but you'll still likely have problems - the packaged sims now have memories that are no longer referenced properly and it does weird things when they gossip about those "others" or remember who potty trained them, etc. Funky question marks and unknown reference errors.

Sims on lots (whether packaged yourself and moved or reinstalled OR downloaded from somewhere) is (imnsho) probably the #1 cause of BFBVFS in your game. And it's top as so many people do it and Maxis set it up like it could and should be done :p

#2 (imo) is moving sims into the lot bin for more than about 5 seconds.

You're better off just not doing either of those.

Unsouper
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 11, 23:20:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would help to delete them in cleaninstaller, but you'll still likely have problems - the packaged sims now have memories that are no longer referenced properly and it does weird things when they gossip about those "others" or remember who potty trained them, etc. Funky question marks and unknown reference errors.
I'm sticking with this only for learning possibilites (mine and others).  I'm not trying to argue that this is a good thing to do.

First, everyone lost their friends on the move.  Made sense to me, move to a new neighborhood, don't know anyone.  So they aren't gossiping about anyone from the previous neighborhood.  Second, I've been playing the new neighborhood for about 3 months now with no errors I've seen (although I am learning of a few here to look for). 

The Sims moved were about half CAS created and about half born and raised in the old neighborhood.

I will have to actually look at somebody's memories though (I never do that during gameplay).
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 11, 23:32:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you might not see the memory problems in game, its behind the scenes where the problems are in the memories. If you looked at their memories in Simpe you would see a lot of "unknowns" - these are bad memories and cause corruption
jack_d_spratt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 11, 23:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you might not see the memory problems in game

Ah, a philisophical question  Smiley If an error does not occur during gameplay, is there an error?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 11, 23:44:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I mean is looking at the memories in game, you wont see it. In game what you will see is corrupt thought bubbles, thats usually just your first indication that the big fiery ball is coming. The thought bubbles have just a bunch of black lines, similar to a bar code. That is the beginning of the corruption that you will actually see.

In simpe however you will have dup, and unlinked character files, and when you look at sim memories they will have "taught to walk by unknown" and things of that nature. The other problem that is inherent is that too many character files is a bad thing, especially character files that are corrupt.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 11, 23:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

> I'm not trying to argue that this is a good thing to do.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were or be too pushy about it.

> Ah, a philisophical question  Smiley If an error does not occur during gameplay, is there an error?

Still... the thing about this particular "bug" or poor coding or whatever Maxis would call it is that it's insidious. It's not like you do it and your neighborhood explodes (problems with conflicting hacks or a poorly made one, otoh are usually pretty easy to recognize. You install something and everything breaks so you realize *something* caused that just about now.)

Let's say I moved *one* sim by packaging him to a lot - say he came from a neighborhood that had... oh 5 CAS created sims in it and maybe he'd met 3 NPCs and 2 townies. So he brings with him 10 sims and maybe I make 5 more CAS sims for him to play with in the new neighborhood (and leave all the townies and NPCs and the like). 10 extra sims isn't that big a deal. A neighborhood like this might last for months, or even years, depending on how fast it grows.

So, 6 months down the line, there's suddenly stuff you notice in the game - extra sims, too many iteration errors, nanny's pop and repop, gardners show up and stay to play until there's 12 or 15 on the lot, you get the extra kidlets error and have quints, 3 times in a row. Very few people connect the blown up game with something so innocuous-seeming as importing a sim from another neighborhood 6 months back (or leaving one hanging in the sim bin, which is what actually caused mine) - when initially the errors were only visible on debug or to someone that can read the code or use SimPE to do it for them. It compounds until your game explodes in a ball... visible from space.

Unsouper
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 12, 01:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I brought four families from a custom neighbourhood into my new Pleasantview and they're perfectly OK.  I stripped everything in Clean Installer apart from their character files, the family file and the actual lot and deleted all their irrelevant memories before placing the lot in the neighbourhood.  As far as I know, that's all that's needed.  There are no extraneous character files in the game and none of these sims ever talk about anyone from the old neighbourhood (well they do, because everyone from the old neighbourhood is with them apart from the townies, but they talk about the new versions, not the old ones).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 12, 02:03:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the lot I'm playing at present is a very old one, pre Uni, that I revived.  Now, when I first opened this game, I moved the Brokes, house and all, into the bin and then straight out again.  I'm still, after playing and editing for about 3-4 days, still cleaning up the mess i made way back then when I didn't know the dangers.  And none of the Brokes are the original, the originals were unlinked and the ones that moved back in with the house were the clones!  (Whixh was obvious as soon as I realised the file numbers were much too far down the line to be the originals, who are among the first 10 in the hood.  the only "uncorrupted" Broke, is Keanu, since he wasn't born then!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 12, 02:40:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and can you just delete them from the bin or does that cause a BFBVFS?

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: