More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 21:34:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What do you build into your houses?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What do you build into your houses?  (Read 50236 times)
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: What do you build into your houses?
« Reply #75 on: 2007 April 19, 17:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But not until the fourth or fifth expansion pack...so it'll be okay. Smiley

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 April 19, 18:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But not until the fourth or fifth expansion pack...so it'll be okay. Smiley
Yes, but it will be the feature they market most before game debut, and be featured in all teaser videos. Then, immediately after release, they will state that sadly they weren't able to implement the feature because the smells were pervasive over the entire neighborhood.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 April 19, 18:35:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really wouldn't want to smell my Sims when they fart after eating, or when they get sprayed by the skunk, thank you.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 April 20, 05:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or when they have green clouds of stink trailing them...

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 April 20, 10:31:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry Sad don't know where I got the clothes on a pole...I think it was in a house I downloaded somewhere.

There's http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=112110 and http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=112249 -- but I tried those a long, long time ago, and I think they're borked.  (Don't remember the details, but I had some kind of trouble with them and ended up deleting them.)

It's something I would very much like to have a working version of.

I have these and they work fine:

http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/sims2/SetID_203859/

Unsouper
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 April 20, 15:15:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay! Clothes poles!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 April 20, 15:55:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

::grumble:: 

I've sucessfully avoided TSR for 2 1/2 years.  But I want closet rods!

::mutter::

I guess I'll have to do it.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2007 April 20, 19:19:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

::grumble:: 

I've sucessfully avoided TSR for 2 1/2 years.  But I want closet rods!

::mutter::

I guess I'll have to do it.

Darn, and PMBD doesn't have them up.

You know, I have them, and can't say that I've ever used them once.  Which is very strange since I've put armoires into little nooks. Sometimes, I don't know what I'm thinking. LOL

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 April 20, 19:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I've got the closet nooks already built into a number of houses--with dressers in them.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 April 20, 20:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He's a select artist now, not featured or whatever, so they should be downloadable. However, you do have to start a free account. I know, it makes you feel dirty....but I still have a paid sub with them for the next 23 days, so I'm up to my eyelashes in filthyness.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 April 21, 06:05:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got closet rods.  Who wants them?  PM me Smiley

Edited because I just realized they're the MTS2 rods.  Damn.  Sorry.

ETA:  shit, they ARE the TSR files.... I'm attaching.

* TSRclosetrods1.rar (345.83 KB - downloaded 214 times.)
« Last Edit: 2007 April 21, 06:18:45 by starrling » Logged

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 April 21, 06:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't fuss with me about double posting - the attachment restriction made me do it Tongue

Here's the second .rar file.

* TSRclosetrods2.rar (431.47 KB - downloaded 211 times.)

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 April 21, 06:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He's a select artist now, not featured or whatever, so they should be downloadable. However, you do have to start a free account. I know, it makes you feel dirty....but I still have a paid sub with them for the next 23 days, so I'm up to my eyelashes in filthyness.

Oh don't worry, you're not the only one.  Roll Eyes I hate to admit it, but there you are. Mainly because it's just easier to find things there. To use PMBD, I end up with one tab open to TSR and another to PMBD.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007 April 21, 12:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the closet rods! (Or should I say BAAAH?) I was really not wanting to deal with TSR. I've managed to avoid it so far!
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 April 21, 13:46:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got closet rods.  Who wants them?  PM me Smiley

Edited because I just realized they're the MTS2 rods.  Damn.  Sorry.

ETA:  shit, they ARE the TSR files.... I'm attaching.

Hmmph.  I should have known someone would if I just waited.

(Went and registered at TSR to get them, grumble, grumble.)

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007 April 21, 22:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sowwy.   Kiss

eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 April 22, 10:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

bathrooms n-2 sims

So if you have just one sim, you have -1 bathrooms? This is not logical.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 May 16, 14:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally like to start on a large lot and lately have been building "impossible" houses.  I'm experimenting with floating houses that stand on one pillar, with a pool under the house.  Since I don't have Seasons installed, there's no problem with leaving exercise machines, hot tubs, etc. outside on a large deck (usually bridging a scenic gorge of some sort).

Houses themselves tend to be built around a central bathroom and kitchen structure with dining, living/entertainment, bedrooms etc. radiating out from there.  I try to make things so the Simmies can wander around the house easily without spending the entire time walking.

If I get seasons, I'll have to add exercise rooms and enclose the hot tub, I guess.

Tribulatio proxima est
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: 2007 May 16, 15:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I build and decorate sim houses based on general feng shui principles (not the specific ones that IRL require knowing a person's birth month and year, as that would be impossible given that sim 'years' are so much shorter than human ones). These include not building a bathroom above a kitchen, having a bed face the doorway, but not be aligned with it (same with desks), not placing mirrors or other reflective surfaces in bedrooms, not placing furniture in such a way that a sim's back is against a window, etc. I know that the sims couldn't care less about these things, but it makes me feel better to have them that way.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 May 16, 23:24:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm I am apparently stupid b/c besides the obvious I have never really thought of building specific rooms for things outside of the traditional kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, living room(s)...and then gee..I wonder why I can never organize the house properly.  I guess IRL most people don't have their treadmills and weight machines plopped in the middle of their living rooms or outside either *L*

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 May 16, 23:51:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, growing up, we always had our treadmill in the livingroom.  Shocked

As my spin on my current near-endless challenge has me building a new home, community lot, and college lot (dorm, townhouse, or fake class building) every generation, I've had tons and tons of building experience lately. I absolutely love it, and it's been forcing me out of the rut of having every house be basically the same set up. My current home (a behemoth and quite pricey due to the need to spend the family's accumulating cash) has a library downstairs complete with the One Desk (I normally make them go deskless), a grand piano, and a fireside nook for reading. The kitchen is actually upstairs and is accessible by stairs outside the home and an internal set in the hall. There's also a wrap-around upper deck that goes around approximately half the house, and the necessary hidden garbage can that can still be used but no knocked down.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 May 17, 00:11:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

having a bed face the doorway, but not be aligned with it
Actually, sims DO care about that. If the bed is facing the doorway, but not aligned with it, since sims approach the bed from the side, it'll be a straight-shot course to the docking bay. If you had aligned the bed with the door, then the sim would have to turn around the bed to reach the docking bay.

As for what *I* build into my houses, see Awesomespec v5.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 May 17, 00:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My stationary bike is in my living room now.  Cheesy

My OneDesk is never more than 2 tiles away from the front door. Sometimes that places it in the living room, sometimes an entryway, but I don't give them any options.  I don't know WHY Maxis couldn't have coded the homework like they did for Uni.

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007 May 17, 01:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My stationary bike is in my living room now.  Cheesy
Why not move it into your computer room and hook it up to the computer? Then it could be useful.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007 May 17, 01:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the feng shui concept. I haven't consciously designed that way, but, upon reflection, must have absorbed some of the lessons, as I follow most of them. The one I fail most often is with desks, as my studies tend to be smaller, so I place them against walls, and occasionally have doors that would open on a Sims' back.

Let's see...I tend to prefer large houses, not necessarily so I can cram them full of stuff, but so the floor plans look spacious.

I typically have families of two or four. Either a couple, two friends, or an unrelated group. I have two sets of 8 students, but haven't played Uni in a while.

I haven't tried experimenting with basements / split levels / stages yet.

I like foyers, where I typically put a table or console so Sims will put their mail there (if I don't use the mailbox covers with shelves).

I prefer larger kitchens, both for efficiency and because I have some decorative countertop items I like to use. Typically I enclose this with doors and walls, but two or three of my houses have archways leading to dining room and "den" / TV area.

I almost always have balconies and a patio, but rarely have front porches. I sock hack type objects and stuff into attics.

I always have full bathrooms, and they are usually larger. They all have a sink, terlet, and shower stall (I like the corner one) or shower/tub combo. I have at least one large loo per floor.

I prefer enclosed garages (usually make them on the longer side, so I can put a few workout items in there as well), and most newer buildings after Seasons have a wishing well and greenhouse and a fishin' hole.

I typically assign one personal room per Sim, unless it is a married or committed couple, as they share a room. I rarely use single beds, even for kids Sims. It's easier to design around a larger bed for when they become teens and adults...though I haven't let any of my three kids or the default game kids (except Daisy Greenman) age up yet. I occasionally make a spare bedroom.

I usually have an office / study with bookshelves, desk(s), a reading chair, a chess table, an easel, maybe a small sofa. I use a lot of bookshelves, perhaps because I am personally accustomed to being surrounded by books all the time. Some larger bathrooms even have little "magazine racks".

A few houses have a small room near the kitchen for pet crap like beds, boxes, bowls, scratch posts. Other houses incorporate pet crap into dens or family rooms.

One house has a basement (actually, a first floor) rec room, and the only TV in the house is down there with a poker table and jukebox and other toys and games (like Myshuno). One house has an indoor lap pool and an artist's studio. I typically do not have more than one TV per house. I may, on the other hand, have a stereo in each bedroom. I wouldn't do this is I weren't a micromanager. I prefer hottubs to pools, but have some houses with both, and some with neither.

I prefer boxy modern houses, because I get tired of curtains and blinds not working on 45-angle walls, and because I tend to like mod furniture with clean lines and stainless steel appliances in kitchens. I like solid-colour walls and floors as well. The result is that paintings, Sims, bedding patterns, and knick-knacks/counter clutter items tend to draw more attention that way. I also like big windows.

On occasion I develop gardens, but usually I am satisfied with a few accent trees and flowers. I have a lot of great downloads, and I keep meaning to use them to build Japanese koi ponds with bridges and manicured garden areas, but I get caught up in playing the families before finishing the gardens most of the times. I do usually put a gazebo or swing set or patio furniture out.

My dining tables tend to seat a minimum of six Sims, whatever the size of the family.

Since I use modern furnishings most often, some of my fave houses have "raw" walls, like brick, inside. A few have three-tile wall-to-ceiling mirror in smaller rooms to visually expand them (and to help with getting photos of Sims in tight spots).

I also typically have at least one musical instrument in a house. Two have in-home studios, only one of which is actually used or relevant, and two have a piano in the dining room.

I like enclosing lots with fencing, which is supposed to cut down on random strays flooding the lot (it is only partially effective, thanks to telekinetic dogs and cats who can open doors and gates purely through the power of their minds (or something) and let themselves in.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: