More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 06:00:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Good grief. Packaged lot sizes?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good grief. Packaged lot sizes?  (Read 3858 times)
TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Good grief. Packaged lot sizes?
« on: 2007 July 18, 17:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Insert noob disclaimer here, with a pinch of "but I read the site FAQ!")

So I'm just getting up to speed on Why Bloat Is Bad, and I'm trying to start a clean 'hood'. I had some lots that I wanted to keep due to custom decorating and the fact that I hate a) spending too much time trying to decorate or b) trying to good CC lots that fit my tastes.

Er, yeah. Long story short, I have been using the Package Lot option, and I'm ending up with 100-140mb sized packages so far. These are not huge/ostentatiously decorated lots (some of them are quite small), and I don't have a larger-than-normal amount of custom content. 

Is this normal, or did I break something?
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: Good grief. Packaged lot sizes?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 18, 18:36:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lots files are just plain huge.
How have you packaged them? To the Exchange, or to a file?
What's is a "normal" amount of CC?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 18, 19:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After packaging, are you opening the lots using the clean installer? I can't recall, but sometimes almost your entire downloads folder (recolors) can be packaged with the lot. Open with CI and remove useless files. Remember to rename the lot (something different) before repackaging it. There are tutorials in the 'create' section ( I think 'creator guidelines)   at MTS2 on how to  package lots for upload. You would use the same procedure for saving them for personal use.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 18, 20:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The lot packager basically packages your entire downloads folder (okay, only all the objects)  with the lot. They fixed it with Pets, and then borked it again, for some stupid reason- I think on purpose, since CC uploading with the lot was listed as a "fix" on one of the patches.  Huh

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Khaki
Exasperating Eyesore

HMPH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 18, 20:26:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a link to an outline I did about how to package a lot for upload...  it's not as easy as it should be...
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=228501

let me know if you have any questions Smiley

TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 18, 20:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the responses. It seems likely that it's the problem mentioned, adding all my DL objects (rough guess based on the average bloat factor), but I'll check out a package with Clean Installer.

To answer a couple of the questions: I am saving to file, and "usual amount" of CC = I keep it well under 1gb due to incredible impatience with loading screens.
TashaYarrr
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 18, 20:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And thanks for the link, Khaki. Going there now.

(Tried to edit the above post to add that; I can find no evidence that it stuck. Sorry for spam.)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 19, 15:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to hit "Modify" above the post. The edit link is just a cruel joke.

I've also noticed with my lots that if a lot has ever been occupied, it will still carry character references for the sims who used to live there, their family, and everyone they've ever seen....ever. Plus any hacks you may have like the phone hack (not tied to an object).

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 20, 01:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis Packager
Likes To Package All Your Crap
Download Less Garbage

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: