More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 09:37:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building Contest Of Awesomeness!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building Contest Of Awesomeness!  (Read 31399 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Building Contest Of Awesomeness!
« on: 2006 June 01, 02:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so every other site has a building contest, so why not us? Only this contest, is not a contest of who can make a pretty, but functionally useless house. This contest...is about making an AWESOME house! It would also be quite nice if entry screenshots included a labelled summary of the architectural features you've incorporated that seem most awesome. And a summary of how your house should awesomely handle the various scenarios of the game, such as parties, headmasters, and othersuch.

Rules:
1. Any size of lot may be chosen, from large to small. However, not-choking-the-computer is part of technical merit.
2. There is no budget limitation. However, less is more!
3. Only Maxis and Awesome content may be used. They may be placed using hacked collections if necessary.

Scoring:
Houses will be evaluated based on how awesome they are, in terms of technical, logical, functional merit, as well as not looking like a total eyesore. Creating something that works well enough to be in my game, *AND* looks cool, is bonus. Important points should include adequate space for future expansion, coverage of all standard in-game situations, and, of course, room to hold and use all the relevant career and aspiration awards a sim-family may have or acquire in the future.

The top winners will receive a code for a free month's subscription to MATY, usable either to extend their (or someone else's!) subscription, or to addict a friend. The biggest losers will be made fun of.

Let's see some AWESOME houses!
« Last Edit: 2006 June 01, 11:06:37 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
Re: Building Contest Of Awesomeness!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 01, 08:48:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dammit, this would come up when I'm supposed to be working on my face templates (which should at least be Tubular if not Awesome). Time limit?

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 01, 08:52:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Time limit? Sorry, you missed the boat. Tongue
Kidding, I haven't a frickin' clue.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 01, 08:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OH NOES I REALLY NEEDED THAT FREE SUBSCRIPTION

You guys build really fast!

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 01, 09:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do we submit our entry? I'd like to have 2 subscriptions at the same time in case one gets worn out.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 01, 10:36:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Time limit? Sorry, you missed the boat. Tongue
I haven't entirely decided, due to some uncertainty in collecting the submissions, but how does the end of June look?

How do we submit our entry? I'd like to have 2 subscriptions at the same time in case one gets worn out.
That part hasn't been worked out yet. I'm trying to decide how to work that part.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 01, 10:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't entirely decided, due to some uncertainty in collecting the submissions, but how does the end of June look?

I'll have my people contact your people.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 01, 10:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, might have a think about this... have three days off over the coming weekend...

I'm quite keen on function, will usually take function over form, but also still like to combine the two if possible.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 01, 11:08:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm quite keen on function, will usually take function over form, but also still like to combine the two if possible.
Well, obviously, combining the two produces the best results. Otherwise you get a Gali-style monstrocity that combines none of them.

Scoring, of course, will be conducted by examining your house, and seeing what changes I'd make to it to better accomodate a more awesome lifestyle. The less changes I have to make, the better your house scores for function.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 01, 11:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had a minimilistic, modernistic style in mind for some time, might have a bash at that, it's not my usual style.

I've got a newspaper pic of a real house that uses roof angles to create interesting and tricky perspectives for the eye. I've been wondering whether it would work in the sims.

PS If you saw my RL house - it's definitely function over form!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 01, 12:02:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No point in me entering this, I'd automatically come last.  I've never built a house in the game yet.  I can't even work out how to extend one if it has those deck things, because I can never delete them or add to them.  I also hate furnishing houses, it's incredibly boring.  I'm really only in it for the gameplay, I suppose.  Be interesting to see what others come up with, though.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 01, 14:24:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any rules regarding the number of occupants?

A swinging single's den would have no need for any headmaster inspection.  Grin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 01, 15:12:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any rules regarding the number of occupants?

A swinging single's den would have no need for any headmaster inspection.  Grin
Figure that the building must be capable of accomodating anything, from 1-8 (or maybe even more!) sims. Accomodation for yet unplanned scenarios is a bonus.

Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 01, 16:35:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, count me in. This I can get into, definitely'
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 01, 16:42:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about starter homes? Do they need to accomodate as many sims?
« Last Edit: 2006 June 01, 16:48:11 by Ellatrue » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 01, 16:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about starter homes? Do they need to accomodate as many sims?
Yes, although your costs will be taken into consideration, as well as your potential for expansion. If you've built a low-cost, but dead-end, home, that will still count against you.

Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 01, 17:48:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So can we do two versions of the home? For example, one as a starter house and another as an example of what the house can become once funds are available (with little change to the house).

If that's the case I have one of my template houses that works pretty well.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 01, 18:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please a definition is needed for us unawesome people: exactly what is considered "awesome content"?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 01, 18:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please a definition is needed for us unawesome people: exactly what is considered "awesome content"?

Anything from this site, and only from this site. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 June 01, 18:12:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about ingelogical content, like the no-autonomy fridge?

Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 June 01, 18:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll be submitting one of my designs ... it's time I was giving a good laughing at, I suppose.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 June 01, 18:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only Awesome and Maxian(OFB) content will be permitted, because otherwise when I download the house to look at it in-game to see how it measures up to your blueprints, the objects will be missing, and this does no good at all. If anyone's aware of the vagaries of the "not-expansion" pack and how those lots are formatted, and whether they're even readable, lemme know. For obvious reasons, I'm not equipped to read those if the formats are incompatible.

MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 June 01, 19:16:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I thought...darn. Maxis doesn't have any good, cheap privacy fencing......

I can tell you this, whatever it's worth: I have one custom object that was made with FFS installed and the one object is fine in my game, no problem.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 June 01, 20:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded a lot by someone with FFS- it worked fine, but everything was replaced by other default furniture, etc in my game, and it looked ugly. Otherwise no problems if you only have OFB.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 June 01, 20:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a few ideas for this, so I might actually give this a shot.  I barely even use CC, so that part won't be a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: