More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 16, 19:05:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Categorizing all my downloaded hair... Any advice on how to keep my sanity?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Categorizing all my downloaded hair... Any advice on how to keep my sanity?  (Read 41051 times)
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
Re: Categorizing all my downloaded hair... Any advice on how to keep my sanity?
« Reply #75 on: 2006 January 12, 21:05:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww... But I hate using SimPE! It's so slow for me and confusing. I guess a tutorial would be nice. I'll look around this thread for one. Edit: Saw plenty of people needing one, but nobody supplying. I'll wait patiently then.

i pop that P like you don't believe
and if ya want me you won't succeed!
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 January 12, 21:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This thread explained it for me, and so far I've had no problems whatsoever categorizing away:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2119.0
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 January 12, 21:11:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a couple of threads that are current right now about categorizing hair with SimPE.  Dewshine gave us this one, so that's a possibility.  Also, do a search for categorizing hair, there are a couple more out there for it as well.
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 January 12, 22:36:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoo!

It worked. Call me crazy but that was actually fun. Then again, I only had a few dozen. Totally worth it.

Just a tip though, sometimes the filename will SAY "brown" in it, but don't use filenames, view the texture first and you be the judge. I guess some artists clone the base color (which is usually brown I noticed from the filenames) and just change the color without altering the filename.

Now if only we could get everyone to do this before they upload their hair...

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 January 12, 22:38:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have all that many either, so I think I will eventually bite the bullet and give it a go.  A short while ago, I separated my hair files with meshes into a different subfolder (although I don't know if I got them all), so hopefully it won't be too much for me to handle.
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 January 12, 22:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It really wasn't too much work. Having my downloads folder completely organized by site and hair/clothes/gender made it a lot easier.

I say it took my about 30 minutes to an hour but I'm not so sure. I'll count my hair files.

Oh, no wonder it didn't take me so long. I only counted 19 or so hair files.  Grin Then again, some took longer than others (but only by a few seconds) because they included the YA age group, or because I had to actually look at the texture to decide what color it was.

Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2006 January 12, 23:59:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I the only one who is happy with the only the set of Maxis hair included with game and expansion packs? I have added a few ethnic styles since I think they were lacking in that department, but otherwise I haven't gone looking for hair.

It's probably just how I play the game, but I wonder if it's because I've been playing the game since only June, not for an entire year -- when did y'all start really going on download sprees, did you do this right away or was it after several months did you suddenly reach a point where you were sick of the Maxis hair/clothing/furniture ? This isn't really a question about hair persay, but about how you play the game and how custom content fits into it...

(Oh my gosh, I'm now a cretin! Wahoo!)

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 January 13, 00:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty much happy with the Maxis hair, although I do think the blond colour is a little too brassy.  I like the light ash blonde from Lyran.

I probably only have about 20 or so custom hairstyles, as I've been a lot pickier this time around than I used to be. 

Custom furniture and clothes though, is an entirely different matter.  I really hate most of the stuff that Maxis has to offer, and it wasn't long at all before I started on downloading sprees.  When I had only 256MB and a crapass video card, this made it pretty tough to take with the loading times, but I didn't care...I could have a shower or make a meal while it was loading!
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 January 13, 00:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was probably about somewhere around the six month mark when I discovered custom content. I had a problem with the base game - big suprise - and went looking for answers, it was all downhill from there.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 January 13, 00:18:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to know that someone else feels the catagorizing is worth it.  I did this with over 1000 files, and I still feel it was worth it.  And I put the file name into the text list on every one of them, VERY useful. 

I started downloading custom content as soon as it became available, long before I actually got the game.  I'm more careful now, only getting the items I want out of a set instead of the whole thing.  Download folder was getting way too big.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 January 13, 01:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm in the process of splitting my download, and having a complete victorian set with furniture, walls, floors, build stuff and clothes etc.  then I'll have to sets of game folders, TheSims2 Mod and TheSims2Vic!  But at least it's staving off the moment when I have to get rid of stuff I like!

Zephyr Zodiac
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 January 13, 05:12:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds like a great idea, ZZ!!  Since I have 4 game folders, I think I might do that as well.  Too many new things downloaded to add to the "real" game, and so far no downloads in the "first alternate" game.  This could well be the best solution.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 January 13, 05:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd need to check houses where you  know they have a lot of custom Victoriana and change it first, though, or you'll have loads of mismatched Maxis! (And bare walls and floors!  Enough to make a fortune sim wring their hands in despair!)

Zephyr Zodiac
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 January 13, 05:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen the fortune sim wring their hands in dispair!  Might be worth not fixing right away....  Very few of my sims are fortune, guess my die doesn't want to roll that way.  I should probably change the order once in a while to prevent that.  Or maybe keep a closer eye on the sim before they transition and pick one suited to their personality.  That might be too much work.... Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 January 13, 05:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't mean literally! Grin  I've never seen it either, although it just might make them want to panhandle!

Zephyr Zodiac
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 January 13, 13:32:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I the only one who is happy with the only the set of Maxis hair included with game and expansion packs?

I'm a complete download whore.
I just love custom content.

You should be glad you're happy with the defaults.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 January 13, 14:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a complete download whore.
I just love custom content.

You should be glad you're happy with the defaults.

Cheesy Gwill!  I am too.  Every single day.  I get up in the morning.  I start my email downloading.  I load up MATY and hit "show new messages since your last visit" and read the stuff that are responses to my messages or that look interesting.  Then I go to MTS2 and click downloads and go through the new stuff.  If someone mentions downloading cc, I usually rabbit-trail all over the internet downloading more crap I'll never use or that will make my game lag like crazy.  MY dl folder is 1.6g (!!) and contains just over 7000 items.  Wow.  I didn't realize it was that big!  LOL

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 January 13, 14:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, god.  I just checked...  My downloads folder is 3.27 GB.  Just the downloads folder.
I need help.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: 2006 January 13, 14:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3.27 GB!?  Shocked I just have shy of 600 items in my downloads folder (200 MB), and even I don't want to think about categorizing my downloaded hair. I commend you for your bravery. Smiley

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 January 13, 14:29:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have nearly 2GB that I'm using at present, Plus probably another 1GB that I haven't even installed, plus stuff that's sitting in a folder since I installed NL and haven't put everything back yet, plus I have another folder of victorian stuff which is probably getting on for 1GB!  But I swear I won't go over 2GBs in one Game set.  But at present I have three - Sims2 play, Sims2 build and Sims2 test - next will be Sims2 vic!  I think I'm nearly set for the next quarter of a centruy!

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 January 13, 14:33:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I the only one who is happy with the only the set of Maxis hair included with game and expansion packs? I have added a few ethnic styles since I think they were lacking in that department, but otherwise I haven't gone looking for hair.

I'm happy enough with the Maxis hair styles, but I don't like the texture very much.  The black is too gray, it should be a rick glossy black.  The red is too orangy, it lacks dept, and the blond is too yellow.  The brown I never use.  All the colors are flat and need to be glossier, like healthy hair.That's why I'm trying to find good recolors.  I've seen some gorgeous recolors out there, but they are all custom meshes.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be "in" for artists of talent to recolor Maxis hair.  I'm finding some older recolors from back in the days where there was no meshing possible, but techniques have evolved since then (or the talent tool) and new hair is much better textured now.  However I am picky and will not use static, plastic meshes.  So that makes my choices limited.  Which is good in a way, I won't end up with 1000+ hair Tongue I did include some updo's in my hair catalog, as I find that Maxis did not include anything very elegant.  Updo's don't bother me so much, as the hair isn't meant to move anyway.  (Ah the power of a good gel).

But I am a total download whore, might be worse than you gwill.  I spend more time downloading and cataloging and organizing than I do playing. 

Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: 2006 January 13, 14:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoa, ZZ. That's a lot. I'm usually pretty fussy about the stuff I download, but that can sometimes lead to me looking for something, to only realise I didn't actually download it in the first place after about half an hour of debating whether I liked it or not!

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 January 13, 14:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess I'm going to make it my new years resolution to be more picky.  Wink

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 January 13, 15:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's stuff I rarely use, and occasionally stuff I delete completely because it's crap, but since I have a 156GB second drive to store stuff on, it doesn't really matter how much I download!  Just takes time to sort everything, though!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: 2006 January 13, 16:21:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to admit I did go on a little bit of a download spree when I started getting into building, but it's mostly for build-mode items, or recolors of existing items. I end up doing more "window shopping" - (including looking for windows to download)! And I have spent hours surfing sites just for a particular few things, or just looking at new items at MTS2...  but lately I think it may be faster to recolor oneself than to try to find a particular recolor! 

The Sims mirrors my everyday life; I hate shopping for clothes IRL and try to keep my hair simple; but my environment, well I'm always up for new furniture (not that we can always afford it though).

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: