More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 11:30:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New Patches for OFB and FFS
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Patches for OFB and FFS  (Read 81042 times)
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: New Patches for OFB and FFS
« Reply #250 on: 2006 July 03, 09:00:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh... ok, I was just curious if it made a difference. Perhaps it was just a fluke for me then? Tongue And I was testing in my hack testing environment, which I essentially often keep hack free save the ones that I am actually testing. Although, lately, I keep a lot of hacks in now, just to test if there are any potential conflicts with other hacks I use.

Oh well. I was just holdin onto a string hopin that might have been something people overlooked, and maybe I just happily happened to have discovered something as a work around. Apparently not.  Undecided Heh. But I also like cars, and I also find the whole woohoo thing pretty amusing. I guess we'll just have to live with it for now.

Ste

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2006 July 03, 15:45:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am wondering if all you guys patch your games fully loaded? In otherwords do you just install the patch onto your game without doing  any maintenance first? Do you remove all your downloads? Return all script files to their Maxis state? Remove all your game play files including hoods, lots etc to a safe location? Then install and playtest the game before returning your game to a modded state with and including all your game files? I have noticed that whenever I install anything on a fully loaded game I have issues, but when I remove everything and return everything else to a Maxis state it seems to be ok. I playtest the Maxis hoods or have them respawned and let the game run while I check a few houses in each Maxis hood, once I am statisfied nothing has blown up I save, quit and start the process of restoring my game the way I like it, including but not limited to hunting down all updated hacks/dls, editing script files and putting back all my created hoods etc. Sometimes I have to go without dls/hacks for a few days just to get everything caught up. I am not very attached to any of my hoods though so it doesnt bother me to start over with my game files. But basically I treat a patch the same as an EP for installation. Anyway I am just curious as to what the majority do when they install a patch.

I have not however installed the latest patch and I do not forsee doing so any time soon.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2006 July 03, 22:14:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nectere, I do it exactly the way you do, I even check a few maxis lots before putting my stuff back in. But the last time I did it, I forgot to change back some of the scripts (and something else I can't quite remember), so had to start over.

But I've just noticed something, in Uni, when you have people living in a greek house, only one of my sims in that house got the want to ask someone to pledge, none of the others can ask any sims to pledge. Is this normal, or is it after-patch. I never played a greek house properly before and with a household greater than 1 sim. I'm wondering... And my pools aren't blue in my custom college neighborhood (from the nieghborhood view), they appear white. I haven't created any houses in the normal neighborhood with pools, I guess it's just a glitch with that lot. Or isn't it- still don't have too much confidence in the patch, waiting for something to go wrong. Cheesy
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2006 July 03, 22:33:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I pull all downloads out. I don't ever change any script so that's fine. I would not recommed pulling hoods out to install anything EP or patch because EPs/patchs can potentially change the hood coging --look at NL.  However BACKUP EVERYTHING in my owner folder YES!

And to test, I always create a test hood with the full allotment of satellites (DT, UNi) then go in and play around in there, build, CAS, the whole thing. Delete the test hood from th eoutside, THEN I'll put my downloads back in and enter my permanent test hood (Dirt Hole aka Stangeville)and play in there for a few days to see what happens--THEN play my real hood if all goes well. I get attached to my simmies....
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2006 July 03, 23:59:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, this is one very good reason for Maxis to get the game right BEFORE releasing it so they don't have to release all these patches.  It's all well and good to run through a test neighborhood and see if anything immediately blows up, but a lot of things wouldn't appear just from a cursory run through.  What about taking sims to college and the final exam?  Graduation?  Community lots?  Dates?  Having a top level business?  How long would it take to play through all that?  I know Maxis can't find every single bug, but they could find a lot by extensive play-testing which we are paying them to do, but we end up doing it for them.   Angry
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: 2006 July 04, 23:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a feeling that when I installed the second patch I didn't remove anything and I know I was supposed to put the Wants Trees and stuff back to normal (I have Squinge's LTW mods in that alter them).  That won't have caused the issue with the cars though, because I've had that from the time I first installed Nightlife and the majority of the cars I take Sims out on dates with belong to them.  In any case, if they don't they automatically get sent a taxi, even though there's a spare car sitting on the lot.  When I purposely send them out on a date, I send them in their own car. 

Oh, and in case anyone hasn't noticed, you can now buy food in other neighbourhoods and take it home successfully.  I just did that with one of mine without realising I'd gone to another neighbourhood, but it turned out it was OK.  She put the food away as soon as she got out of her car.  Dunno if it's the patch what done it, but I know it wasn't possible before.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2006 July 04, 23:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm surprised that it let you install the patch with that file altered.  I had to reinstate my UI text thingie before it would install properly.

I don't get to play often (and when I do, I rarely play a family a lot before starting all over again, if you know what I mean), so I don't notice a lot of the problems that other people report.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2006 July 05, 03:08:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In otherwords do you just install the patch onto your game without doing  any maintenance first?

I toss a backup of the game on a DVD and run a few disk maintenance utilities.  In the past I've not moved out my download folder.  In those days my download folder was small.  No longer.

In the case of the OFB patch, still haven't installed it.  I've encountered no game problems so I just may wait until the next EP comes out and take care of things in one fell swoop. 

Or I may wait until the patch is issued for the next EP before I even buy the EP.  Whatever, it is going to have to contain much more than four-legged furry annoyances that pee, poop and make noise before I hand over any $$$.

blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2006 July 05, 09:06:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I lack any self control over the act of 'buying' the sims, I'm glad it comes to where I live almost 2 months late! So I download the patches before I get the game. Guess that makes me lucky, in a way, as all mods are updated by that time too. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: