More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 13:08:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  The Spiral Staircase
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Spiral Staircase  (Read 11933 times)
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
The Spiral Staircase
« on: 2008 September 01, 09:53:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying to build an apartment building, (my third, so far) and decided to use one of the new spiral staircases. I ended up repositioning it several times when it suddenly became unclickable. Thanks to Google, I believe the solution might be right here at this very site, the Stuck Object Remover. The problem is that the building is not yet habitable, and I believe that the said solution requires sims on the lot. I am not sure about that because, although I found many instances of people telling stuck object victims to download this fix, I found no information on how it actually works, other than that it's a buyable object. I am also not even sure if this what I should be using for this situation.
So, should I:
a) Download the SOR, then move in a sim to use it
b) Download the SOR and use it without a sim
c) Use mystery option of which I am not yet aware
d) Live with it and admit imperfection
e) Bulldoze my 4 hours worth of unfinished work

Clearly, I would prefer to avoid the last option, so, can someone more awesome than me point me in the right direction, please?

(Benes for the person(s) who recognize the reference in the title.)

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Evil is profitable only when everyone is not evil.
Moar words of wisdom from our wise and bearded Fearless Leader.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: The Spiral Staircase
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 01, 10:08:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The StuckObjectRemover is an object that you purchase, misc/misc.  I would hazard a guess that the SOR needs to work in live mode, in order to delete an object. 
   If you're builiding, moving an object around and it becomes stuck, have you tried clicking on the 'undo' button?  Of course, this won't be available to undo from a previous play session/previous build, but it should work for the current changes.  Have you tried Move_Objects On, to grab those stuck objects?

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 01, 10:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh. Wow.
I did try moveobjects on, but did not try undo.
An retard is I. I'll go try it now, and be back with the results.

ETA: I had to undo about 30 things to get back to before the first time I placed the staircase, but it worked! I can't believe I didn't even THINK to try that. I've been up too long, time to call it night. Thanks a million times, GayJohn.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 01, 10:28:38 by smellyarmando » Logged

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 01, 18:12:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FFR, to use the SOR, you buy and place it, and then once you go into Live Mode, the object and anything else occupying the same tile will be burninated together. Glad 'Undo' worked. Hur. Wink

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Lonesome Dove
Asinine Airhead

It's not my fault!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 02, 17:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haven't encountered your staircase problem but I'll accept my benes graciously. 1946, hysterical mute Dorothy McGuire terrorized by nutcase George Brent. Remakes not worth watching.

Grin
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 19, 14:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know that this is probably a stupid answer, but it's affected more than a few intelligent people I know: When the camera is even remotely close to a ceiling lamp, a staircase or an outdoor tree, it will go semitransparent and be unclickable. This is probably to assist in navigation and clickspace in live mode, but it can be a pain if you're building. Usually, you can just zoom out and it becomes clickable. I first noticed this when I couldn't Turn On...All Lights on my ceiling lamps. Stairs and trees seem to act the same way.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 19, 15:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haven't encountered your staircase problem but I'll accept my benes graciously. 1946, hysterical mute Dorothy McGuire terrorized by nutcase George Brent. Remakes not worth watching.

Grin
This is not the BBS, mmkay? If you feel like being a sheep, click the Baa button.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 19, 18:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not a new staircase issue, sometimes they are undeletable and it is necessary to use the undo option once they have been placed. It is just more annoying with the spiral staircases because they are trickier to place well.

More F than you
Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 October 15, 00:27:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this problem with both the spiral staircases and any ceiling lights.  Drive me nuts.  I am forever having to click the undo button just because I want a lighting fixture moved over 1 square.

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 October 15, 08:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran into it for the first time the other night with a spiral staircase. I'm glad I read this thread because I was worried there was something wrong - something other than normal EAxis glitches, I mean.  Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 October 15, 10:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Normal. EAxis. Glitches. There are just SO MANY of them it's hard to keep track.

More F than you
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 October 15, 11:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't ever actually had one go "undeleteable", but it CAN end up in a wonky way that makes it refuse to select. The usual solution is just to move the camera around crazily until it works.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 October 15, 13:22:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found that zooming in until it is invisible and then zooming back out make them selectable. Works for those trees that get stuck, too.
Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 October 16, 20:18:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about Mr. Sledgehammer? 
Makes life a lot easier.

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 October 16, 20:30:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Often my lights and the spiral stairs make themselves completely un selectable... so when I pull out the sledgehammer, it doesn't highlight said items that need to be moved/removed.

I will try using Pescado's version of moving the camera around crazily next time it comes up (though I am skeptical).

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 October 16, 20:41:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Save the lot, exit to neighbourhood then re-enter lot. You should be able to select and move/delete the staircase then. I've had it happen with trees, regular stairs, spiral stairs and hanging plants.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 October 17, 00:24:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found that zooming in until it is invisible and then zooming back out make them selectable. Works for those trees that get stuck, too.

This works, and it's much quicker than reloading the lot.

PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 October 23, 22:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Save the lot, exit to neighbourhood then re-enter lot. You should be able to select and move/delete the staircase then. I've had it happen with trees, regular stairs, spiral stairs and hanging plants.

Trees, Regular Stairs, Spiral Stairs, Hanging Plants, Modular Stairs, Ceiling Lamps, Ceiling Mounted Decor, it all does it. If it could get in the way of the camera, it can conveniently become transparent. 99 times out of 100, it really does just take zooming out sufficiently.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 October 24, 09:10:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I know that now Cheesy

Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 October 24, 09:28:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also try going up a level for staircases, that's how I solve this problem.
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 October 26, 01:50:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* kiki smacks smellyarmando for offering "benes" anywhere outside the BBS

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 October 26, 17:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Marhis throws benes to kiki's headback with a rubber band

(sorry, It was a temptation I couldn't resist)

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 October 28, 00:30:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OH OH, Just a note so that I don't look stupid, Modular Staircases sometimes do take going down a level in order to work on if there's an "invisible tile" overtop of them, such as when they lead off a foundation and there's that little spot hanging off where floortiles could otherwise be placed if the stairs weren't there. Deleting the staircase and adding/removing railings will not work on the top level (however sometimes it does work on the very top step).

Blech
Garrulous Gimp

Moar Stanky Than You

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 October 29, 07:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never heard of the zooming out trick for fixing "unselectables" but I'll try it the next time it happens. It's usually trees, staircases, steps, and ceiling lights for me, too, so maybe that will work.

p.s. The benes thing was an obviously phail attempt at humor.

*Benes* to lonesome dove

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: