More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 14:54:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Sims cannot use (various) stairs.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims cannot use (various) stairs.  (Read 4237 times)
marchviolets
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Sims cannot use (various) stairs.
« on: 2010 October 28, 16:50:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you in advance for your time and any suggestions.

I have searched the forum posts for "routing issues", "stuck on stairs", and various other key words to describe the issue I'm having. I think the result of my searches was that people experiencing similar problems had something (irreparably) wrong with their game/neighbourhood. I would just like to clarify that this is the case for me before starting a new game.

I installed a new neighbourhood (Champ Les Sims Delux, link on this thread: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,19019.75.html) and have been using the houses that came with it. One of them had lots of steps leading up to the entrance. Sims were not able to use these by themselves, and cancelled going to school/work/outside unless I had them climb/descend each section of staircase individually (I hope that is a comprehensible description).

I thought that the issue might be the complicated structure of the staircase, so I built a simpler structure:

Unfortunately (as pictured above), now the sims cannot descend past the first set of steps, at all. The only way I can get them up or down is to use moveobjects and move the sim itself (something I'd rather not have to do). I do not understand why this is. I wondered if it could be in any way related to the fact that the lot itself is a substantial distance from any roads.

I am also now experiencing problems with sims using the stairs inside of the house, they can only get to the second story.

I do not currently use Awesomemod on the Sims 3, as I need some time to read about it's various options more thoroughly before using it.

Thank you for any help available.
DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Re: Sims cannot use (various) stairs.
« Reply #1 on: 2010 October 28, 19:36:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you play with any CC at all, or is this a vanilla game? Are you fully patched?

"Please proceed into Android Hell."
marchviolets
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 October 28, 20:33:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for replying.

I have quite a lot of custom content. Mainly objects and skins from Modthesims. I don't have any gameplay modifications, and have never downloaded from the exchange aside from this specific Custom World. I could remove all CC and see if the issue stops, but the only thing I have installed (aside from store content) prior to this issue becoming a problem was the Custom World itself. As far as I'm aware, the stair issue is not happening in my other games (such as Riverview and Sunset Valley saved games).

I also think my game is patched, I'm playing "Version: 4.3.4.008001" if that helps at all.

Thanks again.
DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 October 28, 21:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried other lots included with this hood? A quick Google search informs that this hood is actually rather buggy.

"Please proceed into Android Hell."
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010 October 28, 21:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stairs have always had problems when transplanted or saved and reloaded, like with a neighborhood. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the neighborhood.

In The Sims 2, when this happened, the stairs would only work in two cardinal directions- that is to say if they were broken on North/South (arbitrary terms since there's no true direction in-game), they'd work fine on East/West. Try building stairs on this lot facing the other way. If those work, that's the problem- and I don't believe there's a way to fix it, but I'd look it up to be sure.
marchviolets
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 October 28, 22:26:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried other lots included with this hood? A quick Google search informs that this hood is actually rather buggy.

I have tried one other lot and had no problems. I'll try out some of the smaller lots and see what happens.

Thank you very much for letting me know your search findings. I definitely must be doing something wrong as I haven't been able to find any useful reviews of/comments on this custom world. It's a shame to hear that it's buggy, I haven't found another custom world similar to it, but of course I'd rather know now than invest more time into it.

Stairs have always had problems when transplanted or saved and reloaded, like with a neighborhood. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the neighborhood.

In The Sims 2, when this happened, the stairs would only work in two cardinal directions- that is to say if they were broken on North/South (arbitrary terms since there's no true direction in-game), they'd work fine on East/West. Try building stairs on this lot facing the other way. If those work, that's the problem- and I don't believe there's a way to fix it, but I'd look it up to be sure.

Thank you for your detailed response. I'm not sure how to reinstall a neighbourhood but I will go away and figure that out.

Can I clarify whether 'broken stairs' is a term you are using to refer to steps with various glitches, or a complete inability to function? I ask because the ground floor staircase inside of the house is in the same cardinal direction (I hope I'm using that phrase correctly) as the broken stairs, but appear to work correctly.

Also, the original outdoor steps leading to the front door were split. It is difficult to describe, but if you were a sim with your back to the front door, in front of you would be steps going down in a forward direction. Once you reached a platform there would be a set of steps facing left and a set of steps facing right. They were facing opposite directions. Both the left and right set of steps had a platform at the bottom, off of which was another set of stairs each. Both of these were again turned to face 'forwards' (the same direction as if you headed straight out of the door) and would take you to the bottom of the slope.

I had actually wondered if having two sets of stairs, both with right-angle turns, was causing some of the problems. That's why I rebuilt the stairs into a simple forward-facing slope, as pictured in my first post, but I definitely don't recall the sideways-facing stairs as being any less broken than the forward facing steps. The stairs are more broken since rebuilding them, though.

I hope that makes some sense, thank you very much for your advice.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 October 29, 04:15:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It probably just means Claeric is unreliavole.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: