More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 21:44:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Has anyone experienced objects not allowed to be placed on a wall?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Has anyone experienced objects not allowed to be placed on a wall?  (Read 4224 times)
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Has anyone experienced objects not allowed to be placed on a wall?
« on: 2005 November 23, 07:45:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been building this house, and when I was furnishing it, it wouldn't let me place the dresser or the bed against the wall.  I have plenty of tile spaces for them to be placed with no problems, and after I turn on moveObjects, they'll place fine and my Sims never have a problem using them.  Huh

It's only happened since I got Nightlife, and it happens both with and without the patch.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Has anyone experienced objects not allowed to be placed on a wall?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 23, 07:47:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's near a door, particularly a diagonal door, that may be why. Otherwise, perhaps you have a stuck, invisible object in your way!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 23, 07:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't near a door, diagonal or otherwise, (at least not any nearer a door than it would normally be), and the house is brand-new, with no Sim ever stepping foot in it, so I'm not sure how an object could get stuck...
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 23, 08:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Were these objects in their inventory from their previous home?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 23, 08:05:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So the objects in question did not come out of a sim's inventory?

Did you use the floor elevation cheat code when building the house? This sometimes creates unusable tiles because somehow they become very slightly higher or lower than the rest of the floor. This is often seen in the fact that if you go up one storey, the transparent squares that show up around walls will be missing or look dashed instead of solid in the area that is affected.

Fail.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 23, 08:06:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it's been brand new houses, with brand new furniture.  Undecided  All in all, it's probably happened about 5 times or so; different families and different lots, even different neighbourhoods.

Only in this latest lot have I used constrainfloorelevation; the rest have all been rather vanilla houses.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 23, 11:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it with all beds and dressers, or just some? Does it affect Maxis and custom items the same?

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Shupinola
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 23, 11:11:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get bad tiles all over my houses - even new ones where there are no cellphones and no one has played kicky bag. JM's advice was to use fire, so I downloaded a buyable fire item from Mod The Sims 2, but you can get the same effect by buying a cheap cooker, have someone place a TV Dinner or a toaster pastry in it and then have them go and do something else and move to cooker close to the affected area before it starts to burn. But be warned - you must fence off the area to prevent Sims getting burned. In a room, remove the door to the room and all objects and then place the fire or cooker close to the area and just let it burn away to it's heart's content. It's also a good idea to not have any objects next to the walls of the room that is burning. They shouldn't set on fire, but it has happened to me once. Once the fire is out, replace the door and have your Sims tidy up the ash. Then see if the bad tiles are now working. If not, try it again. It doesn't always work, but around seven times out of ten it does.

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 23, 16:08:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In thinking about this problem more in the past few hours, I think it must be the inventory bugginess after all.

The houses I play most of the time are cheat-free (no motherlode, etc.), so I start them off with as much of a house as they can afford.  After a while, when they can afford some renovations, I usually upgrade them.   Now, I usually have furniture for them by this point, but I can't afford to just replace it all, so I put it into the inventory while I reno the house.  Once the house is finished, the furniture goes back.

This house was built with a money cheat, so it was done all at once.  No inventory, and only one problem with it, which may not have been the same sort of cause as previous times.
tsrynolds
Blathering Buffoon

No, really, fuck this shit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 23, 18:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wouldn't it be nice before they put these new features in the game if they would actually play the game.

I as well have had some strange things happen with beds and dressers that haven't been put into inventory like not going against the wall.  I put the item in the middle of the floor and then delete it and buy it again and that usually works but it doesn't answer why it does it in the first place.

I also have problems with the inventory as well causing me not to be able to place them against the wall.  Sofas, bed, dressers, tables, chairs and the like.

Wonder if they are going to address this in the next patch or is there going to be another patch for nightlife?

OY!
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 24, 16:25:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I understand, the inventory bug about not being able to place certain items against a wall anymore has something to do with wallshadows on the objects, but I don't know what exactly causes it.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: