More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 21:22:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Corrupted Stuff Stuck in Invetory
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Corrupted Stuff Stuck in Invetory  (Read 14766 times)
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
Corrupted Stuff Stuck in Invetory
« on: 2005 November 21, 20:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope I can ask this here without drawing down the wrath of He Who Must Be Avoided Revered.

I have been having a small problem with sim inventories and wondered if anyone had any insights as to what the *&^% is happening.

When I installed NL, all the mobile phones disappeared except for one which seemed to have become corrupted in the owner sim's inventory.  In that, when I clicked on it, the game crashed.  I sent all my sims out to buy a new phone and then installed the patch which reinstated all the missing phones (naturally) including a copy of the problem phone (non-corrupted).  I just mention this last bit because it annoyed me and because I also assumed the corrupted phone was some sort of copy of the original.

Anyway, despite not being able to find the corrupted phone poking about with SimPE, I decided to carry on and just cope.  But since then, I've had another problem with a (different) sim moving house.  I put a pile of stuff in his inventory, moved him and then found whilst unpacking in the new house that a computer in his inventory had also become corrupted and I couldn't move it out because clicking on it caused the game to crash.  What's particularly bloody annoying is this is probably only about the fourth crash I have ever had since I installed the game, including the crash and the 'let's just try that again crash' from the mobile.  My game seems to be stable for the most part and I can do without this.

Does anyone have any ideas and, particularly, does anyone have any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks

Inteen for AL, yay!
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
Re: Corrupted Stuff Stuck in Invetory
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 21, 20:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just you having inventory problems...the inventory system is buggy.

I only use it as little as possible now since I've had some problems with it.
You might have to move the sim out selling  his stuff if you can't remove it w/o crashing.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 21, 21:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just you having inventory problems...the inventory system is buggy

Ah ha!!  Maybe that's why my gravestones magically embedded themselves in the concrete next to the mailbox downtown, after being tenderly placed in ground at the cemetary.

Thrice.  Each time my grieving Sim had placed them iin his inventory.

Finally got fed up and used moveobjectson and built a fence around them.   If that doesn't work and they revert back to the street,  I guess the dogs that show up in the next EP will use them to pee against.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 21, 22:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just you having inventory problems...the inventory system is buggy

Ah ha!!  Maybe that's why my gravestones magically embedded themselves in the concrete next to the mailbox downtown, after being tenderly placed in ground at the cemetary.

Thrice.  Each time my grieving Sim had placed them iin his inventory.

Finally got fed up and used moveobjectson and built a fence around them.   If that doesn't work and they revert back to the street,  I guess the dogs that show up in the next EP will use them to pee against.
to move a gravestone and have it stay at the cemetary and not reappear on your lot dont place it in inventory. select a sim then click on the tombstone and select Move a window will pop up  asking where you want to move it to select the location you will get a pop up stating that the tombstone will only be moved if you save your game. at that point the departed will pop out of the grave annd wave goodbye to the family and house. save and exit to the neighborhood view click on the location you sent the tombstones to and enter the lot in build mode you will find the tombstones you moved sitting next to the phone. use the build mode hand to place the departed in their permanent resting spot. when your done save and exit the tombstones will stay at the cemetary. NEVER  USE inventory if you want the tombstone to stay at the cemetary

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 21, 23:37:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you go into the Neighbourhood Memory section of SimPE and locate your Sim, you will see memory markers for all the objects in his/her possession.  Just delete the one that's causing the problem, commit and save.  That should hopefully sort the problem out (the item will no longer exist in their inventory).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 22, 01:43:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you will get a pop up stating that the tombstone will only be moved if you save your game. at that point the departed will pop out of the grave annd wave goodbye to the family

Thanks for that tip, Bangelnuts.  I guess I should have mentioned that I initially placed the urns in the inventory, since they were in the middle of the living room.  Then moved them to the first cemetary, where they wound up in the sidewalk.  Twice.  Then I built a new cemetary downtown but the same thing happened.

Plan to visit that cemetary tonight and see if they are where I put them using moveobjects.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 22, 01:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you will get a pop up stating that the tombstone will only be moved if you save your game. at that point the departed will pop out of the grave annd wave goodbye to the family

Thanks for that tip, Bangelnuts.  I guess I should have mentioned that I initially placed the urns in the inventory, since they were in the middle of the living room.  Then moved them to the first cemetary, where they wound up in the sidewalk.  Twice.  Then I built a new cemetary downtown but the same thing happened.

Plan to visit that cemetary tonight and see if they are where I put them using moveobjects.
its the placing them in inventory thats causing them to reappear

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Shupinola
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 23, 09:51:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See? This is what annoys me about The Sims 2. There are all these options that you never find out about unless you buy those Prima guides. Other games supply detailed manuals (either in the form of bits of paper stapled together to make one of those old-fashioned booklet thingies, or as one of those new-fangled 'computer document' wotchamacallits) - but not The Sims! I really bugs me that if I want detailed information about what all the new features, objects and interactions do, I have to shell out almost as much as the expansion cost to buy a tome that repeats everything from the original guide and then has a tiny section that deals with the new expansion. But my experience with the original game taught me that each new Prima guide is next to useless because the information in them does not tally with the game/expansion itself. Vacation was the worst. It listed completely different uses of items and the treasure hunting features were all wrong because Maxis made changes after giving the information to Prima.

You'd have thought that Maxis could publish detailed manuals for each product on the official site. It's not as if anyone can get onto the site. As soon as you register a product, you should be able to download or access an up to date manual complete with an option for tips and tricks.

I've also had problems with the inventory. I had planned to take urns/gravestones with me as I moved families to bigger lots, but after reading this thread, I won't bother. I'll try the move gravestones function ... which I knew absolutely nothing about until now. So thanks for this information.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 23, 10:17:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I can tell, you should NEVER put an object in your inventory where any of the attributes potentially references a motion-based state or an object id. Items referencing NIDs are okay, but items that contain attributes where the numbers represent object IDs on your lot are bad, because moving an object into your inventory and then hauling it off to some other lot causes these attributes to now contain meaningless garbage.

Of course, to the average bear, this explanation sounds like gobbledygook.

Short version: No object which has any association to any other object on your lot should ever be placed in the inventory. Prominent members of this classification include Bed and Tombstones.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 23, 10:54:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Short version: No object which has any association to any other object on your lot should ever be placed in the inventory. Prominent members of this classification include Bed and Tombstones.

At the risk of soundiing stupid because I probably missed something obvious: what object is a bed assosiayed with? A tombstone I get because you've got the ghost, but why the bed?

Also, JM could you possibly have a list typed up of things we should avoid putting in inventory? That would be a big help.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 23, 12:51:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First - thanks to Ancient Sim.  Removing the objects with SimPE from the neighbourhood memories section (I mean, why would they be anywhere else?) seems to have done the trick.  The phone mutated it seems into a memory for a family reunion during the installation of NL.  I suppose that memory type is buggy - I spend a lot of time deleting those anyway - though why it should have got attached to a phone in my sim's inventory, I don't know.  I didn't spot that when I poked about with SimPE the first time because I had the version (48?) where they told us it wasn't working properly with the memories.  Anyway, I finally DL the newest version this week.  What is it with all those invisible memories (are they memories given by other sims)?  Can I delete them?  Well, I've been deleting some of them because they are memories of some obscure sim meeting some other obscure sim that has nothing to do with the sim who has them and who is unlikely ever to meet either obscure sim again.  umm - sorry OT.

Other points:  RMA: regarding beds, sims learn which bed is their own and will learn to sleep there and not elsewhere so there is an association set up in that way.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, especially Ancient Sim and Bangelnuts for the info about gravestones (I did that with a set of Jack Thompson graves and will have to go and retrieve them - as soon as Jack Thompson II (the only survivor - well, when I say survivor, he's a zombie but let's not get distracted) has been released from prison)  and JMP for the general guidance.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 23, 15:05:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the risk of soundiing stupid because I probably missed something obvious: what object is a bed assosiayed with? A tombstone I get because you've got the ghost, but why the bed?

Also, JM could you possibly have a list typed up of things we should avoid putting in inventory? That would be a big help.
a bed ia associated with a sim. never put the family car in inventory when moving your sims to a new lot

Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 23, 15:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Other points:  RMA: regarding beds, sims learn which bed is their own and will learn to sleep there and not elsewhere so there is an association set up in that way.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, especially Ancient Sim and Bangelnuts for the info about gravestones (I did that with a set of Jack Thompson graves and will have to go and retrieve them - as soon as Jack Thompson II (the only survivor - well, when I say survivor, he's a zombie but let's not get distracted) has been released from prison)  and JMP for the general guidance.
glad I was able to help you and your welcome

rma
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 23, 16:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks guys. I never  knew that a bed would be associated with a Sim. Explains the ghost sims cheering their own bed and getting upset if you sell it. DOH! Is putting the family car in a Sim's inventory OK if I set the owner to "Nobody" first?

On last question: What about reward objects like the Reu-U-Senso orb? It still has 3 uses left but that should be alright, right?
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 23, 16:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks guys. I never  knew that a bed would be associated with a Sim. Explains the ghost sims cheering their own bed and getting upset if you sell it. DOH! Is putting the family car in a Sim's inventory OK if I set the owner to "Nobody" first?

On last question: What about reward objects like the Reu-U-Senso orb? It still has 3 uses left but that should be alright, right?
the family car  has an owner when in us so even removing the owner doesnt resolve the problem.the Sim who owned it still associates with it and it causes carpool problems if you take it with the family when you move them.
   aspiration rewards dont appear to be a problem

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 23, 17:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The renewu orb acts like beds when placed in the inventory, it can no longer be placed in the same way it used to.  Sims can get attatched to toilets too, for example if you delete the bed and buy a new one shortly before a sim dies, they will cheer a different object which is usally the toilet in my game.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 23, 18:20:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I found useful with beds in the inventory is when moving a student to Uni. The bed in the inventory isn't usable, but you can sell it and then buy a new one: in other words, it's a way to allow the student addition funds to start off with without 'cheating.'  (I try not to use cheats other than moveobject after the family is initially setup fresh from CAS--that is the only time I cheat--afterall which adult reaches adulthood without ANY skills or personal property?? I 'fix' that at the git go and then they are on their own Smiley)
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 23, 19:23:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims can get attatched to toilets too, for example if you delete the bed and buy a new one shortly before a sim dies, they will cheer a different object which is usally the toilet in my game.

AHA!!  I *thought* I'd seen evidence that Sims would prefer one toilet over another, but I've been pooh-pooh'd for it repeatedly.  By people whom we all respect and admire.  Not to mention any names, of course. Cheesy

I put a car into a personal inventory of a Sim I was sending off to college and so far haven't had any problems with it.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 23, 20:03:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims can get attatched to toilets too, for example if you delete the bed and buy a new one shortly before a sim dies, they will cheer a different object which is usally the toilet in my game.

AHA!!  I *thought* I'd seen evidence that Sims would prefer one toilet over another, but I've been pooh-pooh'd for it repeatedly.  By people whom we all respect and admire.  Not to mention any names, of course. Cheesy

I put a car into a personal inventory of a Sim I was sending off to college and so far haven't had any problems with it.

Hook

I havent had problems with a"personal" car  just the family car. and yes sims do get attached to toilets. I have a sim in my household with 15 sims  that will traipse up 3 floors to use a specific toilet never mind that there are 3 toilets on the second floor where this sim has his bed.its up to the 3rd floor for that one stupid toilet he goes every time

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 23, 21:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I havent had problems with a"personal" car  just the family car. and yes sims do get attached to toilets. I have a sim in my household with 15 sims  that will traipse up 3 floors to use a specific toilet never mind that there are 3 toilets on the second floor where this sim has his bed.its up to the 3rd floor for that one stupid toilet he goes every time

Heh, trust me, some people get very attached to their toilets, talking about them for prolly 'bout 30 minutes.  Of course, when it can take hippo shite with no problem, I guess it's natural to get attached.  Tongue

Eh JM?  Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 23, 21:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I maintain that this is weapons-grade bolognium. Scanning the terlet code reveals no instance of any sim memory or relational status that sims have with their terlets, unlike with beds. Terlets do not have ownership, and if a sim ghost appears to be cheering at a terlet, it's either because the terlet just happened to be in the area when they cheer, or because sim ghosts like to cheer at random objects. I've had them cheer at a lamp before.

Was the car owned by any sim, or was it unassigned?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 23, 21:47:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The car was unassigned. I moved the family car into someone else's inventory, then bought a new one, immediately put it into the departing Sim's inventory, then put the family car back.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 24, 00:31:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put the family car (unassigned) into my Uni bound sim's inventory, and I don't have a problem with it either. I thought it only fitting, since I inherited my father's klapperkiste (old jaloppy (sp?) might be the correct english word, but I'm not sure) upon departing for university the first time around.  My friends immediately pounced on it and painted it (hey man, it was the late 70's.. guess what the poor car ended up looking like... Grin)

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 24, 04:01:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*snickers* I love your wording. "Sir, could you possibly have a list typed up? I recognise it's far too much trouble for you, but perhaps one of your lackeys could see to it? Thank you very much, Sir, greatly obliged."

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 November 24, 04:33:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ACK!  I wish I knew about this before.  I moved a sim to Uni with his car (assigned to him) AND his bed.  Haven't had any problems with either and he's graduating now.  Should I sell this stuff before I move him back home? Or just leave them on the lot for the next crop of students to move into the frat house?

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: