More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:53:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  what to remove from downloads folder before installing nightlife?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: what to remove from downloads folder before installing nightlife?  (Read 9845 times)
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
what to remove from downloads folder before installing nightlife?
« on: 2005 September 12, 06:00:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No I don't have it yet - but would like to prepare.  Should I just remove all hacks? Is it worth trying to keep something like no townie regen? I really don't want to have a whole bunch of ugly townies in my nice neighbourhood... what do people advise?
thanks in advance. 
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: what to remove from downloads folder before installing nightlife?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 12, 06:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except walls, floors, and recolored objects - all the hacks you have.

You can add them one by one lately: add a hack, play the game a couple of sim days to test if it doesn't cause any trouble, then exit - add another hack, and so on. If you encounter troubles, like crashes or weird behaviour, exit the game, delete the last hack, enter the game and play to test it again.

Long work, unless you wait for all your modders to make the mods compatible with NL.

I have in my game some hacks not compatible with Uni, marked red, and in spite of it they don't cause any troubles in the game.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 12, 06:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about genetics?  I shudder at the thought of all my sims losing their pretty eyes and gaining the dull maxis ones with no variation!

I've already started removing hacks - and realising why I put most of them in to start with!

<insert witty comment here>
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 12, 07:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about mesh objects? I am curious about those, since I use a lot of mesh objects in my houses.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 12, 07:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that the Clean Installer can solve all the problems with the hacks and downloads.

By the way, The Urbz object (Maxis made), is red-marked at the Clean Installer, and I deleted it.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 12, 08:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except walls, floors, and recolored objects - all the hacks you have.

You can add them one by one lately: add a hack, play the game a couple of sim days to test if it doesn't cause any trouble, then exit - add another hack, and so on. If you encounter troubles, like crashes or weird behaviour, exit the game, delete the last hack, enter the game and play to test it again.

Long work, unless you wait for all your modders to make the mods compatible with NL.

I have in my game some hacks not compatible with Uni, marked red, and in spite of it they don't cause any troubles in the game.

Good advice Gali.......
that's exactly what I plan to do. I did it with Uni and touch wood, I didn't have any problems  Smiley

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 12, 14:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know if there's a big concern about meshes being ready for NL? Before Uni came out, everybody had to update their meshes to be ep-compatible. I haven't heard much about that with this new ep. 
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 12, 14:53:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to what I've read, anything made in BodyShop or something else I can't remember the name of that makes objects (Home Crafter?), can be left in.  There will also be some sort of function which allows you to disable downloads before playing, or re-enabling them, so you don't actually have to take them out of your downloads folder.  You just disable them and then re-enable in batches or whatever instead of adding them back.  Something like that.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 12, 15:13:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NIGHTLIFE has a option within the game, to disable all custom content (hacks and etc). you don't have to take them out of the sims2 folder, now!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 12, 15:50:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So would that mean you can enable things in-game that you had disabled? That would be nice.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 12, 19:11:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could end up being wrong on this, but I don't see how the new meshes and recolors that work fine currently would cause problems with university. I know they had the whole update your recolors to the episode compatible format thing before university, but I thought I remember someone from Maxis (Tom?) say that the changes made to the recolor format would be used for all future expansions from University on.

The meshes did come later but I don't see how they'd cause problems except that they might lack new functionality if the expansion patches some existing objects, like how a new computer or bookcase cloned off those objects pre-university would work but not have the college options after university was installed.

Anyhow, I guess we will find out in a few days. :O

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 12, 21:00:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

whoa...when did you resurface and how the heck have ya been?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 12, 21:50:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would think if you're worried about hacks and stuff, and you want to go to the bother of making a new installation after backing everything up, you could then start a new neighbourhood in the new install, then start to add your hacks and downloads a bit at a time to see if you get problems.  Once all your custom content is installed to your satisfaction then you would obviously need to remove your new hood if you want to keep it, remove your custom content and uninstall/reinstall NL, then move everything back before running the game.  (At least, if I remember rightly, that's how it worked with Uni.)  (To prevent clashes with 'Hood numbers, you might have to create 3 or 4 apart from the one you play, so it has a different number from your other 'hoods.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 12, 22:06:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heyyyy, Motoki's back!
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 12, 22:33:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heyyyy, Motoki's back!

Hey, people have been wondering what happened to you... Good to see you again, with what appears to be yet another horrible nanny... Smiley

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 13, 01:17:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hahah, I've been here and there but kinda' fed up with the boards since I told Rennie where to stuff it and some rather unpleasant MTS2 incidents before that. And yes that nanny is scary as hell, I reinstalled the game and am trying to make new sims with more realistic less cartoony faces (ugh, plastic surgery for every townie) and I think I went overboard making her look old and mean. heheh

Anyhow I figure I'll give Nightlife a shot, even though it wouldn't have been my first choice. The next addon for having your sims start your own business appeals to me much more but that's a ways off. I'm just hoping we can avoid the constant crashes and having to check every all the darned custom content through trial and error to see what works with the episode and what doesn't that happened with University. Sad
« Last Edit: 2005 September 13, 02:36:37 by Motoki » Logged

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 13, 01:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to get Nightlife right away, but I think I'll stick to my 'one EP behind' and pick up University.

Most of the bugs have been fixed now and at least I know what issues I'll be facing...

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 13, 15:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just called Gamestop and they just got their shipment in. I'll be a guinea pig for this, I guess, because I'm heading over there in a bit!
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 13, 15:56:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just called Gamestop and they just got their shipment in. I'll be a guinea pig for this, I guess, because I'm heading over there in a bit!

Good luck I will be getting mine on Friday hope there aren't to many bugs in it.
Let us know how the installation goes.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 14, 02:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG....................LMAO...............that's a nanny?

*Composes oneself*

I suppose I should look more closely at the nannies in the game. I knew they were umm...plain, but I didn't realise they were butt ugly!

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 14, 03:54:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently for our re-colours to work we may need updated versions of the ep colour options file thingies that we all had to get from MTS2 when Uni first came out. Can't remember what they are called!!

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 14, 04:14:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG....................LMAO...............that's a nanny?

*Composes oneself*

I suppose I should look more closely at the nannies in the game. I knew they were umm...plain, but I didn't realise they were butt ugly!

LOL well I gave her plastic surgery and a make-over, or should I say make-under, to make her look that scary and ugly. Also I had forgotten to leave enough money to pay her at the end of her shift when I took that picture and so she was stealing a toilet at the time as repayment and so she was looking even more diabolically hideous than usual then. Wink

I think if I gave her green skin she could probably be the Wicked Witch of the West. Wink

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 14, 04:44:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or even one of the Three in Macbeth!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 14, 05:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hahah, I've been here and there but kinda' fed up with the boards since I told Rennie where to stuff it and some rather unpleasant MTS2 incidents before that.
Well, this is a Rentech-free zone, although MTS2 seems more fond of me now that I'm no longer associated with Rentech. I'm sure I could get someone to do up artwork sign specifically saying "Rentech Free Zone". Tongue

Also, your subscription renewal this month seems to have been declined. Could you use a different credit card this time?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 14, 05:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so she was stealing a toilet at the time as repayment and so she was looking even more diabolically hideous than usual then. Wink

Considering how much your nannies like to pee on the floor, it seems an odd choice

Well, this is a Rentech-free zone, ... I'm sure I could get someone to do up artwork sign specifically saying "Rentech Free Zone". Tongue

Perhaps change is in the air? I've seen her post a link or two (to this site) recently...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: