More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 04:05:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Best game backup option
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Best game backup option  (Read 7663 times)
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
Best game backup option
« on: 2008 June 19, 13:08:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is the best, most long-term reliable option for backing up arrtificial game files?  An external harddrive?  Tape drive?  What does El Presidente use?

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Best game backup option
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 19, 13:59:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I burn mine to CDs.

[eta] None of these are sims games, I have other torrented stuff that I've burned to disk. I've bought all the sims games, more fool me.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 14:19:13 by Emma » Logged

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 19, 14:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I burn to CD as well.  On the other hand, the torrents are also still on my larger hard-drive, since I have the space.

Tribulatio proxima est
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 19, 14:18:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To avoid the Dance of 10+ Discs, I burnt all ARRtificial ISOs from Double Deluxe (Base Game+NL+CEL) to Seasons onto a dual-layered DVD, and use Daemon Tools to mount ISOs. All patches and a text file containing all serials are included as well.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 19, 14:34:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason I'm asking is because mine were all burned to discs, which are unscratched and still managed to somehow become corrupted.  I don't trust it totally anymore for backup.  Even my legally owned, original manufacturer's DVD of TS2 is "unreadable or corrupted" despite having been installed with no problems on May 11.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 19, 14:45:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds more like it might be a problem with your DVD drive...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 19, 14:45:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How big does a normal back up take? Not counting custom content, that's a seperate backup IMO. If it's not too big, I'd suggest an USB flash drive.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 19, 14:56:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My actual downloaded games are backed up on my D: drive as well as on CD. My CC & 'hoods are backed up on the D: drive and on a 4 gig flash drive.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 19, 15:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sure hope not.  It's a new computer.  But someone else did suggest this also.  Hmmmmm.

spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 19, 15:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone use the backup function in SimPE? I do, but I've never used it to restore so I don't know if it works. It seems like a really easy solution, though it doesn't backup CC (as far as I can tell).
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 19, 15:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone use the backup function in SimPE? I do, but I've never used it to restore so I don't know if it works. It seems like a really easy solution, though it doesn't backup CC (as far as I can tell).

SimPE has a backup feature, which may work.  However, I have heard of people having problems with restoring.  For backing up neighbourhoods and CC, I use the "copy folder to new location" method using Windoze Explorer.    I just set up a "Simsbackups" folder and copy Downloads and Neighborhoods folders into that.  Much simpler and faster than waiting for SimPE to load.  I have never had a problem restoring from backup using this method.

SimPE can not be used to back up electronic images of game disks (i.e. arrr! copies).

Tribulatio proxima est
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 19, 18:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I back up everything to my external hard drive.  CDs can become corrupted, especially cheap ones.  I need the security of the external hard drive since I'm donig a PhD - though that is backed up in at least two other locations too.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 19, 19:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sure hope not.  It's a new computer.  But someone else did suggest this also.  Hmmmmm.

I had a new computer with a faulty CD-ROM drive that died within 6 months. (This was before I started downloading cracked executables, and I think excessive simming with the disc contributed to its early death.) It was fully covered under warranty; the manufacturer shipped a replacement to me for free.

Any chance you got SecuRom? Breaking CD/DVD-ROM drives is one of the things for which it has a reputation...

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 19, 19:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a new computer with a faulty CD-ROM drive that died within 6 months. (This was before I started downloading cracked executables, and I think excessive simming with the disc contributed to its early death.) It was fully covered under warranty; the manufacturer shipped a replacement to me for free.

Any chance you got SecuRom? Breaking CD/DVD-ROM drives is one of the things for which it has a reputation...

Yeah, the drive is covered, but sending the lappy in and being without it while they fix it is not appealing.   Tongue  i will check for Securom, but I've been really careful to try NOT to get it!  ETA:  I did, indeed, have SuckROM on my computer.  It's been removed now, so we'll see if the problems fix themselves.   Tongue

« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 20:17:44 by cwieberdink » Logged

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 19, 21:25:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crappy cds can also be a problem. I've had several that just broke down and get spots on them. I burn to cd and have them all on my external as I no longer completely trust cds.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 19, 21:55:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I back up everything to my external hard drive. 

That's what I do, too -- external drives are so cheap these days, it's worth it.  I have Retrospect do auto backups of my whole My Docs folder every couple of days, and I also use AllwaySync after every play session to back up my hood files.  I also burn a CD or DVD of important stuff, like videos, pictures, music files, and stuff like that.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 20, 12:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't bother to backup CD ISOs. If they somehow manage to break when stored on a 3 TB RAID, I'll just download new ones. Why sweat it?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 20, 21:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3 TB RAID

DROOL!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 21, 11:41:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They don't cost that much, Poofs. At this point, I reckon the price of such a monster is down to maybe $400, tops. How much do you waste on food a month? I figure that this represents maybe a month or two of leanness and rat-eating. You'll live. You can probably get one even cheaper if you acquire it in "broken" condition and refurbish it, but I wouldn't count on a Poofs doing that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 21, 12:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They don't cost that much, Poofs. At this point, I reckon the price of such a monster is down to maybe $400, tops.

Yeah US$400, plus I bet it would work out to more than the equivalent here.

No, I can't repair hard drives. The techie ex has had some success soldering bits on the circuit boards to resurrect some of them though.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: