More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 02:59:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building a Bridge Indoors
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building a Bridge Indoors  (Read 4068 times)
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Building a Bridge Indoors
« on: 2007 June 27, 21:39:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I admit it; I'm not a builder. I find I have difficulty even making a house with a deck upstairs. It was with this realization that I thought I might ask people who do engage in the art of building houses in the game to answer me this question.

I'm wondering if it's possible to build a bridge indoors to connect two separate upstairs areas together. To attempt to elaborate: the house looks like a 'U.' For simplicity's sake, let's say there's the perfectly ordinary rectangular first floor. There are two staircases, one on either side of the house, each leading to an upstairs area. Neither one is connected to the other. Is it possible to build a bridge that would connect these two upstairs areas together? You know, it kind of would look like a sidewalk, but it would have a fence of some sort on the side (perhaps made of glass) to prevent people from 'falling to their death from the upstairs area.'

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Building a Bridge Indoors
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 27, 21:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, this is pretty trivial. The game may hassle you about "unsupportedness", so you have to build a temporary construction scaffold-type-dealy while you do it, though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 27, 21:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhh, so maybe adding some pillars or whatnot under the specific area would be required and then could be deleted afterwards? Excellent. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. Smiley

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 27, 22:01:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, exactly, it won't let you lay tiles on empty air. Use columns, since that's easiest. Delete the columns after laying the floor, but keep in mind that you will not be able to edit the floor after deleting the columns. You can always add the columns back if you want to edit.

EDIT: Although, you know, it shouldn't be giving you problems INSIDE the house. I read your post too quickly and got the impression you're trying to connect a deck area, but now it doesn't sound like it. Is your area fully enclosed? You should be able to add as much floor upstairs as you want, regardless of there being any support for it.

Fail.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 27, 22:41:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Build what you want from the ground up, then delete the lower walls.

Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 29, 04:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I seem to have gotten it all right. All I did was create the lower level, added the two staircases, added the upper floor, inserted the 'gates' and then deleted the rest of the floor. That just means that the upper levels are connected by a walkway that runs outside. I haven't quite experimented with trying to put one roof over the two separate rooms on the top level (so that the bridge is at least covered in the winter), so maybe I'll try that next.

Since I have all you fine builders here anyway, I thought I'd ask another question. Is it  possible to place a roof directly on top of another one? I'm currently trying to make myself an ominous bunker to keep my evil creations in, but as of right now it's just basically a basement with no roof in the backyard. I'm thinking I'll simply use the Auto Roof option to give everything the flat roof and then manually add a different roof type to each of the upper areas.

I'll add pictures here later if anyone's interested.

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 29, 04:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why, but "falling to their death from the upstairs area." has me cackling with laughter.

As per the roof thing, do the same thing with supports and then delete them.  It should still cover the roof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: