More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 12:05:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hacks may be causing weird side-effects
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hacks may be causing weird side-effects  (Read 38629 times)
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Hacks may be causing weird side-effects
« Reply #50 on: 2005 November 17, 20:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hegelian: I have a pretty new version of the phone hack, but your story seems so similar to mine I think it's worth a shot to reinsatll the game. I'm very relieved I don't have to undergo the tedious task of sifting through all those files! Will update on reinstallation. I didn't know I could reinstall without destroying all of my custom neighborhoods. Thanks for that tip!

Motoki: Using the clean installer, I looked up the entire "moreawesomethanyou" folder, and everything except the FFS lot fixer is highlighted red! The "Phone Line Controller" is red, too. Does this mean they are conflicting/incompatable? Should I remove them?
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2005 November 17, 20:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The clean installer highlights anything it thinks is a hack in red. So yea, all of your "moreawesomethanyou" files will probably show red. Pink files are duplicates, but you can't see pink if they are already marked in red. Red just means its a game modification file - nothing more.

You should be looking for a rogue hack, one with an unintelligible name, highlighted in red, and most likely not in your "moreawesomethanyou" folder. It would be a red file that snuck in with a house through the teleport folder, so it would most likely be in the base download folder unless you have moved it. JM says to delete any red (hack) file that is a just a series of numbers and letters as it is most likely something you didn't want or intentionally download as respectable modders take the time to appropriately name their hacks....most likely.
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2005 November 18, 00:34:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I glad I don't have to get rid of all of my favorite hacks. I will look for any "rogue" files I might have unintentionally downloaded. Thank you, nectre for your post.
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: 2005 November 18, 02:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try selling and rebuying all the phones? Also did you check and make sure no rogue copies of the phone hack snuck in with a house download. It's been known to happen and the file name gets scrambled up, so you'll have to use Sims2pack Clean Installer and look for any red highlighted entries that say "Phone Line Controller".

Indeed - it happened to me only a few days ago! In my case it was the Uni version that slid into a NL game, but it was still driving me nuts.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2005 November 18, 02:34:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try selling and rebuying all the phones? Also did you check and make sure no rogue copies of the phone hack snuck in with a house download. It's been known to happen and the file name gets scrambled up, so you'll have to use Sims2pack Clean Installer and look for any red highlighted entries that say "Phone Line Controller".

Um, I actually don't remember if I tried to delete/sell the phones, but I have a vague memory that perhaps I did. It is the sort of thing I would typically try. I have all of about three downloaded houses, all of which I got the first week I had the game installed (I like to build my own), which was well before I installed the incorrect phonehack. I run the Clean Installer fairly regularly, and I've never seen any mystery hacks. And when I did the reinstall, the only file I had removed was that Uni phonehack, and the game has worked fine ever since--with the correct phonehack. As it happens, NL arrived today, so we shall see how it goes from here. . . .

But these are good suggestions.

Hegelian: I have a pretty new version of the phone hack, but your story seems so similar to mine I think it's worth a shot to reinsatll the game. I'm very relieved I don't have to undergo the tedious task of sifting through all those files! Will update on reinstallation. I didn't know I could reinstall without destroying all of my custom neighborhoods. Thanks for that tip!them?

I wasn't thinking it was necessarily the phonehack itself, as your symptoms aren't quite the same as mine--in my case, the sims couldn't interact with the phones at all, on any lot. Although, I too had a fairly new version of the phonehack and it was the wrong one for the original game. I was thinking that in more general terms it seems that some hacks for Uni can damage one or more files in the original game, such that removing the hack doesn't fix the problem. In truth, this is just an inference based on my experience, but if you have a corrupted game file, simply removing the hack that caused the problem will not fix it.

It may be that your problem is caused by one of the other Uni hacks you installed (there seems to have been several?). I didn't really make it clear in my previous post that what I was suggesting was a reinstall after you had located and removed all the Uni and/or NL hacks--otherwise you would just recreate the problem. I just sort of assumed that you'd already done that, but when writing on the Internet it's always a good idea to be really clear about what you're saying.

Similarly, I wasn't real clear about which Neighborhood folders to back up.  As you may already know, your saved games are made up of the collection of files in the various neighborhood subfolders in the Neighborhoods folder in the same The Sims 2 folder as your Downloads folder (in My Documents). There is also a Neighborhoods subfolder in the The Sims 2 folder where you installed the game itself, typically Program Files>EA Games>The Sims 2 (assuming you're running Windows)--these are the default neighborhoods, and are not the ones that need to be backed up. There are four Neighborhood folders in the game installation location:  001, 002, 003, and Tutorial. The neighborhoods you actually play (copies of the defaults) and custom neighborhoods (004, 005, etc.) are in the Neighborhoods folder in the My Documents location.

In the same The Sims 2 folder in My Documents, the Sims you create in CAS are in the SavedSims folder, so you want to back those up also.

Now, when I did my reinstall, I copied these folders rather than moving them before uninstalling the game. It's been a while now, but I don't think the uninstall routine actually deletes the EA Game folder in My Documents. I don't remember whether or not I had to copy the Neighborhoods and SavedSims back after the reinstall (I don't want to give any misleading advice!). This makes sense if you think about it:  In Windows, if you have several user accounts on your PC, you don't need to install the game separately for each user--just be sure the shortcuts for the game are in the Start Menu for All Users rather than for just one user. Each user will have his or her own My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2 folder, including Downloads and Neighborhoods, and so can have completely different saved games and custom content. I'm guessing the uninstall program can only "see" the My Documents folder of the account that's logged on, and (I'm still guessing) it doesn't try to remove the TS2 folders in My Documents.

Basically, the game stores the default files in its installation folders, and copies them into the My Documents directories of each user account when a user runs the game for the first time from that account.

But it's always a good idea to be safe, and back up everything! I just want to be clear about which folders need, or may need, to be copied to a safe place.

I should probably shut up now.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2005 November 18, 20:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for your advice. Thankfully, I haven't gotten around to reinstalling quite yet. I am still unsure of which hacks I need to remove/update before the installation, since it seems that some of the updates aren't compatible w/ just the base game (correct me if I've misunderstood). The files I have now are:
-abortbedmaking
-antibabylecture
-asprechargetweak
-authorized_personel_only
-captainhero
-dailygardener
-doorbell-quieter
-basterbuyclothes
-ffsdebugger
-frontdoorhack
-hugginghack
-manual-navigation
-no20khandouts
-noagediscrimination
-noagingswarm
-nocheeringhack
-nocorruptdeath
-nodroptiredbaby
-noreunionmemory
-noshockforoutgoing
-nosmartmilkdrag
-notelepathy
-noteleportpuddle
-novelprogress
-nowhatsthis
-payatbox
-phonehack (not sure which version, was dowloaded 7-28-2005)
-savethetrees
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2005 November 18, 21:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if relevant, but my phone hack is dated 1/08/05.
I was pretty careful to test everything released after university (base game only) removing what caused errors (macrotastics), and leaving what worked somewhat (encouragificator) I didn't try authorized personel, lot debugger or aging swarm, but maybe I will to see if they work for me. (I've been curious about the lot debugger as I have a lot where the handset to the phone vanished and now when a Sim calls someone, they 'stay on the line' indefinately unless I delete the phone and play a bit before replacing it. It's now spread to two homes)

Have you definately narrowed this down to a hack though? (entered game without hacks folder and the game is fine) If not, it could be a new object.
I had a new object that made my sims jump. Though they couldn't use the bookcase or eat, an error log revealed the problem to be a sofa (Sunair Sims modern fabric sofa) I have a ton of them, so didn't bother seeing if it caused problems in other homes as removing it from the one in question completely solved the problem.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2005 November 18, 22:12:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have just noticed many pink highlighted random strings of #'s and letters, which are probably "rogue hacks/mods". I'm not sure if they are new (I have recently been on a downloading spree), so they might not be the original cause of the problem, but I will definately delete them anyway.
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2005 November 18, 22:22:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. There must have been over 40 of those rogue files. Unfortunately, it didn't help my problem.
 Haven't totally narrowed this down, but the Clean Installer will certainly make doing this easier. Will update...
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2005 November 18, 22:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pink means dupliucate file, as in you have more than one of the same file.
Red means hack

However if you have a duplicate hack (red) you wont be able to see the pink

(erm that sounded dirty....)
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2005 November 18, 23:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. There must have been over 40 of those rogue files. Unfortunately, it didn't help my problem.
 Haven't totally narrowed this down, but the Clean Installer will certainly make doing this easier. Will update...

Like nectere said, these are duplicate files. They could be objects or recolors; in your Downloads folder they have different files names (which you can see if you hold the cursor over the item's name in the Clean Installer), but their MD5 checksums are the same. If you click on the MD5 column heading, the files will sort by checksum and the duplicates will be next to each other. You can decide which you want to keep--the one with an actual file name or the one with the TS2 string of numbers and letters as a file name.  Tongue

As for isolating the bad hack(s), the most thorough and most tedious method would be to take them all out, reinstall the game, and then put them back in a few at a time until the game breaks again, and do another game reinstall and  reinstall your hacks except for the problem ones. I can't say I would recommend that, though.

You might start by reading through the list of older hacks and their compatibilities (really just a compilation of the RTFMs) in the Hack Directory - All Hacks thread in The Armory (scan the thread until you find the group of posts by gali that lists them in alpha order). The files aren't linked there, but you can use the list as a cross-reference for the files in the FFS Director's Cut download in the same forum. In my case, I used the phonehack from the Director's Cut, which turned out to be the wrong one (they have the same file name). The file date for the phonehack.package for the original game is 2.6.2005.

I think if you stick to the hacks that are listed as compatible with the original game in the Hack Directory - All Hacks thread, you should be alright.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2005 November 18, 23:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no20khandouts is only for use if you have university.

Also the phonehack could potentially be the university version. I would delete it and redownload this version:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/old/phonehack-old.zip

That one is definitely for just the base game so you should be okay with that one.

Try getting rid of no20khandouts and replacing the phonehack with the one I linked above and see if it helps. If it doesn't, run clean installer again and let us know the names of all items showing up highlighted in red in any of your download directories, not just the moreawesomethanyou directory.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2005 November 19, 00:36:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The no20khandout removal, and phonehackupdate was a no-go. Sad

Here are all my "red" downloads (not inl. the ones listed previously, from moreawesomethanyou):
-Find Own Place for Teens
-AdoptInPoverty
-Fishman Weapons Systems "Authorized Personel Only" (is duplicate, should I remove it?)
-WooHoo in bordello w/$ubject
-EndlessBuffetPatch
-housepartyfix
-ijCribGetOutAll
-InSIMenator(UV)v2.1 SIM Edition
-Simlogical Intercom Transmitter
-Flamingo
-Flamingo of Decay
-Stay Late
-Energizer Painting
-No more corrupted "Jagged Line" Memories
-MQ_No_Spoied_Food
-homeworksometimesfasterfun_v2
-Bella Goth rescue Mission
-RiskyWooHooInBed
-RiskyWooHooInPublic
-RiskyWooHooInTub
-QuietPregnancy
-MQ_Bookcase_Global
-NoCareFlowers_patch
-Controller-Disease
-No-empty toddlers potty
-NoKickTrash
-NoTeenRunaway
-No Social Worker abduction patch
-SimlogicalNoCareShrubs_patch
-simlogicalReserveBeds_patch2
-Spongebath_patch
-Always Flush Toilets-Wash Hands
-Controller- Triplets&Quads Adjuster
-weddingparty fix
-The Urbs: Sims In The City

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2005 November 19, 01:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were you I would simply remove all my hacks and start over. Its less painful. Just remove all the hacks, do whatever it is you need to do with the base game, patch it whatever and then go back and grab the hacks you need making very sure that you dl only hacks that are for the base game. You really dont have all that many hacks, looks like most of them will probably tell you who the creator is in clean installer, I see mostly Inge, JMP and possibly 2Jeffs and Dizzy, plus the insim. Personally I stick to those creators as well with exception to the insim which I dont think I want to tackle. I make it a habit of removing all custom content from the game before I update/install/reinstall anything, and even then sometimes its not enough. The sims have a habit of corrupt installs and I am sure Maxis knows it since that was always their answer - reinstall.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2005 November 19, 03:34:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I can tell those hacks should work okay with just the base game, but there's some of them I'm not too familiar with.

And yes if you have duplicates of anything get rid of one of them.

resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2005 November 19, 14:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a quick question before I reinstall: I am pretty sure there is an easy way to disable all custom content. How do I do it? Huh
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2005 November 19, 18:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

rather than disable actually move the entire downloads folder to your desktop, I also move my lots that I have made that are in the bin so they dont become corrupted. Just drag and drop the whole folder(s).
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2005 November 19, 18:54:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK. Thanx, nectre. I knew it was something painfully obvious.
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2005 November 19, 19:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Update: At first, there seemed to be considerably less jumps after the reinstall. So, I crossed by fingers, held my breathe, and clicked on the phone....
....and, unfortuately, the "Throw a Party" option was still not there. Then, to my horror, I noticed my sim had caused an entire pan of omletes to disappear! The game still thought there was something cooking, b/c soon, the stove was on fire. Fortuanely I just remembered to buy a smoke-detector the other day, so the fire wasn't too bad. After letting them take a shower, I removed a blackened plate of omletes, still smoking, from the stove.
 So, this re-install thing was a no-go Sad
What now? Huh
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2005 November 19, 20:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Smacks self in forehead*
Ooops. I had just copied the downloads folder to a different location, hadn't deleted it.
Removing the folder actually solves both the jumping and the Partying (or lack thereof). I love most of my downloads, but since I have over 100 download files (maybe around 200), "weeding" the whole thing will take an exorbant (sp?) ammount of time. Will try just using my absolute favorite downloads and hacks (of course moreawesomethanyou is included in this), and gradually/eventually (read: when I have some free time) put in more.
 Will update on that for anyone who is interested when I figure out the source of the problem.
Otherwise, THANK YOU for everyone's advice (even when the answer was "painfully obvious") and patience. You guys are awesome, though of course you don't need me to tell you that...
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2005 November 19, 20:25:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have put back a few download files (at least compared to how many I used to have), and, while I am able to throw parties, the jumping is still occuring. Here are all of the "red" files I have:
-WooHoo In Bordello with $ubject
-housepartyfix
-ijCribGetOutAll
-LessAutonomyBabyCare
-Flamingo (Game Object)
-Flamingo of Decay (Game Object)
-Stay Late
-Energizer Painting(Game Object)
-All the "moreawesomethanyou" hack previously stated
-Controller-Disease (Career) (This is a career? huh?   ???Is this a corrupt file?)
-SimlogicalNoCareShrubs_patch

I have some other, regular downloads, which I could list if needed. Could these be the source of the Jump Bug?
« Last Edit: 2005 November 19, 23:10:04 by resmc » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2005 November 19, 22:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-Controller-Disease (Career) (This is a career? huh?  ???Is this a corrupt file?)

No, it's not the file it's clean installer. It doesn't identify some files properly and I have no idea if it ever will. The creator has been notified about this for a long time now but hasn't bothered to fix it. Tongue

resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2005 November 19, 23:11:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wondering if anyone might know...
What causes jump bugs, in general?
cheriem
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2005 November 20, 00:34:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look in Pescado's newest hacks section.  I believe you'll find what you're looking for.

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2005 November 20, 00:45:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have put back a few download files (at least compared to how many I used to have), and, while I am able to throw parties, the jumping is still occuring. Here are all of the "red" files I have:
I have some other, regular downloads, which I could list if needed. Could these be the source of the Jump Bug?

I'd say that makes it pretty easy. Remove these (all hacks) and see if it works. If it does, you've just narrowed to problem down to one of these.

In my game, they've been caused either by
+a Sim with too many memories. I believe around the 200 mark-very easy with a born in game elder, particularly in a home with a lot of kids. I didn't notice if you have noA+spam, but that and deleting excess memories helped me.
+a missing animation - when they jumped at the bookcase and I created an error log, it came up with a missing bones type error related to the sofa. Deleting the sofa fixed the problem.

Have you posted an error log? I know what you mean - enabling debug can wreck your game, the errors pop up faster than you can reset them and you feel trapped in a loop... what I do in this case is pause with the keyboard. (reset with mouse, use left hand to hit P to pause) it seems the only way I can pause fast enough to get out of that endless loop of errors... then you can turn debug off. An error log would really help those who can interpret them to help you.

As for narrowing down the specific error, if it is a hack you have installed now (as listed above) I would try the autonomy baby care first. In my experience, Inge, twoJeffs, dizzy mods have been fine with the base while JM's cause fiery balls if created for an EP you don't have. (It just depends what coding is modded) I would also lose the Controller disease... if you use the insiminator, it includes a disease immunity so this is redundant anyway.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: