More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 17:40:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Yet Another Breeding-Related Question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Yet Another Breeding-Related Question  (Read 10902 times)
chintznibbles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Yet Another Breeding-Related Question
« on: 2008 August 07, 09:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First, the question: Are babies determined at conception, or at birth?  (ie. gender, combination of parental "genes", etc)

Background info: I generally play with all kinds of naughty shit installed, so frankly the idea of sims breeding makes me a little bit uncomfortable.  However, for some unfathomable reason I have decided to have a couple of recent households actually spawn on occasion, largely due to my accidentally making one a family sim and the other where a married couple of non-fambly sims spontaneously decided they wanted to fulfill their biological imperative.  So far it seems I have very little patience for child-sims, which is perhaps telling insofar as I have very little patience for real children.  Pescado's Baby Controller is very useful, but apart from that... meh.  I've mostly been force-fulfilling their wants and cheating their motive bars up, in the absence of the (surprisingly unlikely) situation that their parents actually desire to do anything with them.

Deep, nerdy background: I was hoping the genders were random because one of the households is, in fact, a shard of an Antaran Hive, a race of humanoid aliens that have a gender orientation similar to Earthly honeybees (they (coincidentally, like most sims) are largely females, although the vast majority of the reproduction is done by active female Queens and whatever drones the colony is privileged to have.)  When the Queen suddenly started spawning twin drones, I started getting a little bit concerned.  Add to that a healthy dose of "fugly baby disorder" and I decided to quit out of the lot without saving.  So if I go back and play again, will both babies be the same once they are born, or will the genetic dice get another toss?  For that matter, is there any way to force the gender of a spawn?  My general method of introducing new genetic material to a population is via the CAS screen... :p

(and yes, I do spend too much time thinking about this crap, because otherwise the game gets a tad bit dull.)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Yet Another Breeding-Related Question
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 07, 09:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All characteristics of the spawn are decided at birth, but the quantity of spawn are predetermined based on data imprinted onto the token in advance. Be aware of the "Firstborn Effect", as the sim-generation sequence is actually deterministic and starts from the same seed value at every boot.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
chintznibbles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 07, 10:55:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome, thanks.  I've already done the "Randomize Sim Generation" deal from the Lot Debugger, so I assume that will avert the whole firstborn thing?  Assuming I understand the purpose of that function, of course. Wink
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 07, 11:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome, thanks.  I've already done the "Randomize Sim Generation" deal from the Lot Debugger, so I assume that will avert the whole firstborn thing?  Assuming I understand the purpose of that function, of course. Wink

That's what it does, yes. But if I recall correctly, you have to run it for every game session in which you expect spawn, because the stats are reset to sadorandom on game startup (i.e. you're back to the firstborn effect).

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 07, 14:35:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All characteristics of the spawn are decided at birth, but the quantity of spawn are predetermined based on data imprinted onto the token in advance. Be aware of the "Firstborn Effect", as the sim-generation sequence is actually deterministic and starts from the same seed value at every boot.
It should be noted that any spawn-number hacks you have may screw with this. For example, TJ's Trips & Quads rolls during birth, or can be set during birth if you use the non-random version.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 07, 15:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be possible to convert the "Randomize Sim Generator" feature into a standalone neighborhood object that, when placed in a neighborhood, would run its function every time we loaded said 'hood?
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 08, 02:37:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ooo, that would be shiny!

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 08, 03:37:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does first-born syndrome always happen, or only sometimes?  I've never used that function on the lot debugger, and yet it's never happened to me.  Or, does it only happen if the very first thing you do after you start the game is have a baby?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

MajorMercedes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 08, 13:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does first-born syndrome always happen, or only sometimes?
When you start the game after saving and exiting, the game will automatically produce your firstborn, Baby #13.  So if you have your sim give birth, save, exit, and have them give birth again, they will have the same baby again.  I've had a family with 20 kids before I knew about the Lot Debugger's function, and each of them is a clone of the other.

Would it be possible to convert the "Randomize Sim Generator" feature into a standalone neighborhood object that, when placed in a neighborhood, would run its function every time we loaded said 'hood?
DO WANT.

Being racist is so limiting. Why confine your hatred to specific skin colors, countries, or beliefs? The entire world can be yours to hate.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 08, 15:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry guys, but neighborhood objects don't seem to have any place where those functions can be attached. Anything beyond meshing, texturing and editing some basic attributes, is out of reach.

* Theo puts on dunce hat.
MajorMercedes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 08, 21:01:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww, damn.  It's too bad it's probably hardcoded into the game.  Sad

Being racist is so limiting. Why confine your hatred to specific skin colors, countries, or beliefs? The entire world can be yours to hate.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 09, 12:58:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you start the game after saving and exiting, the game will automatically produce your firstborn, Baby #13.  So if you have your sim give birth, save, exit, and have them give birth again, they will have the same baby again.  I've had a family with 20 kids before I knew about the Lot Debugger's function, and each of them is a clone of the other.

Just to be clear - it's the personality that is cloned, not the appearance of the sim.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 09, 19:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry guys, but neighborhood objects don't seem to have any place where those functions can be attached. Anything beyond meshing, texturing and editing some basic attributes, is out of reach.

* Theo puts on dunce hat.

Could it be possible to make that function into a global mod instead of a standalone object?

MajorMercedes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 09, 22:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to be clear - it's the personality that is cloned, not the appearance of the sim.

I've had both.  :/

laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 10, 07:59:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine tend to be identical in both stats and looks- even when they're opposite sexes. I just had this happen because I am dumb.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 August 10, 09:09:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason sim siblings tend to be similar in looks is due to the way genetics works in the game.

- Some hair colours and eye colours are dominant.  If you have a CAS couple, one with black or brown hair, and one with red or blonde hair, then their offspring will always inherit the same hair colour as their dark-haired parent.
- It's the same deal with eyes, some colours are dominant over other colours.
- Then there's the dominant facial regions.  Most sims normally have some dominant facial regions (e.g. brow, nose, mouth, cheek, jaw, eye shape, ears).  If one parent has a dominant nose, and the other parent doesn't, then the offspring will always inherit the dominant nose.

So, while the appearances are very rarely 100% identical, the offspring will tend to inherit at least some of the same physical characteristics from their parents.

Appearance is not subject to the "first born" effect, so is not affected by re-randomising the sim generator on the lot debugger.  Personality is affected by the "first born" effect, and is why Pescado added the re-randomise option to the lot debugger.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 August 10, 10:27:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, while the appearances are very rarely 100% identical, the offspring will tend to inherit at least some of the same physical characteristics from their parents.

Appearance is not subject to the "first born" effect, so is not affected by re-randomising the sim generator on the lot debugger.  Personality is affected by the "first born" effect, and is why Pescado added the re-randomise option to the lot debugger.

Exactly, which is why all of Mercer Vaughan's kid look like him but only the ones where I forgot to randomise have the same personalities (or did until I changed them) and hence are clones.

Inteen for AL, yay!
rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 August 12, 03:43:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I basically get the whole first-born thing, but I'm not sure: I don't have to do anything special for the first kid born in a family?

Also, I've heard that, instead of the Lot Debugger, you can just hit the random button in CAS a few dozen times? Or am I completely false?

Another breeding-related question: are all aliens related, given that they all share the same parent? I remember some discussion about it, but couldnt find a definate answer...

Aria: The way to get souls to the Karma Portals is with Karma Vehicles, which run on Karma Track and are dispatched from Karma Stations.
Jasper:  Well... that sure clears everything up.
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 August 12, 04:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have to do anything special for the first child of a family, just for rest of the spawn.

You can randomize by hitting the random button in CAS, but that means you must enter CAS every time you start the game.  The Lot Debugger gives you another option in case you forget to do that when you start and then somebody gets pregnant. You have to randomize before the baby is born.

I think all aliens are related.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 August 12, 05:15:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Lot Debugger gives you another option in case you forget to do that when you start and then somebody gets pregnant. You have to randomize before the baby is born.

I tend towards a save-before-everything-major style of play, so there's no risk of someone accidentally getting pregnant in my games. Same reason why they never start fires, burn their meal, get robbed, fail a chance card, etc. Smiley

Aria: The way to get souls to the Karma Portals is with Karma Vehicles, which run on Karma Track and are dispatched from Karma Stations.
Jasper:  Well... that sure clears everything up.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 August 12, 05:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All aliens are related, as they all have the Pollination Technician as parent.  They changed it in one EP (possibly NL or OFB?), but then they changed it back in the next EP or patch - apparently they got complaints about the change, but I preferred it when they didn't all have PT as their parent..

If you use one of the multi-PT hacks that are over at MTS2 then the alien offspring will have different parents, depending on which of the PTs pollinated their human parent.  One of the multi-PT hacks over there includes Pescado as one of the PTs.

I don't like my aliens to be related, so I go into SimPE after every alien birth and update the relationship with PT so that they are not related to him, and I also edit their family tree to take him out of the family tree.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: