More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 02:01:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Intense Fire Hack
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Intense Fire Hack  (Read 29460 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Intense Fire Hack
« Reply #75 on: 2006 June 06, 17:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just shows I'm getting old - we called them Yuppies!  Or simply Essex Girl and Essex Boy!

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 June 06, 18:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh no they are nowt like yuppies  Shocked  yuppies at least had some ambition and education.  Chavs come from council estates and wear fake designer gear.  Think Wayne and Waynetta Slob in fake burberry rather than shell-suits.   They emulate the people in OK and Hello mags - Jordan and Peter Andre/Kenzi and Jodie Marsh/Chantelle and whatever-his-name-is from the Ordinary Boys are their particular role models

A few years ago they would have been boy-racers and probably had their first offence of t&d when they could barely see over the steering wheel!

The chavettes spend all weekend downing as much liquor as they can before throwing up and passing out.  The propensity of the *hen night* is in direct proportion to the rise of the chav and chavette   Roll Eyes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
« Last Edit: 2006 June 06, 18:21:04 by kacidama » Logged

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 June 06, 21:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, well, I guess I just am not up in the lingo these days!  Don't know that we even had a name for them!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 June 07, 02:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry ZZ I thought anyone from the UK would know.

Chavs are (usually) young, loud-mouthed, ignorami who wear a lot of *bling* and burberry - they are the Colleen and Wayne Rooney version of Victoria and David Beckham - ie no class.  They generally live in/come from Essex but have now spread all over England  Angry

You are not saying that Victoria & David have class, surely to God!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 June 07, 04:58:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't think they come from Essex, though!

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 June 07, 11:44:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are not saying that Victoria & David have class, surely to God!

Compared to Colleen - Victoria has a lot of class  (and no ZZ she comes from Herts although I think David is an Essex boy)  her dad was a millionaire (although loadsamoney doesn't = good taste)

ZZ - my daughter thinks that the chav hasn't infiltrated your neck of the woods yet  Wink

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 June 07, 12:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She's probably right, although I think they may drive through at breakneck speed!

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 June 07, 13:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you ever watch *Grumpy Old Men* ZZ?  On the last series' opening credits, Rick Wakeman, Arthur Smith, Tim Rice and I forget the other one (blame it on my age lol) cross the road a la Beatles Abbey Road album cover and are knocked down by a chav in the ubiquitous burberry baseball cap, driving a vauxhall astra at 90mph

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 June 07, 16:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never watch TV these days!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 June 08, 03:00:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think what are on the ceiling are smoke detectors, which don't connect to a fire station, just sound an alarm to wake the inhabitants up so they can call the fire brigade and get out in time!

Which is probably all that 90% of the folks here in the US who have any kind of fire alarm actually have.  But even so; my parents got a house-wide fire/burglar alarm system back in the 60's when we were kids, and the fire detectors were little silver rectangular boxes that were ceiling mounted.  Our neighbors also have a whole house fire/burglar alarm that they had installed about 5-6 years ago, and all their fire detectors are on the ceiling too.  Wall mounts are only for anyone too lazy to get out the step stool to reach the ceiling. Smiley

I don't believe I've ever seen a ceiling-mounted smoke alarm in my life.  I've lived up north (Indiana) and down south (Alabama, North Carolina), and all the smoke alarms in the houses I've lived in were mounted near the ceiling but on the wall.  And it wasn't because someone was too lazy to get the stepladder because I always had to get the stepladder out to change the batteries.  Before my ex-husband left, he could do it without a step stool, but the batteries have to be changed every six months.  If it starts chirping, you have to change it or you won't get any rest.  You will be driven to change it!  So putting it in a place that is easy to reach is just common sense, not laziness.  Tongue

My grandma has a smoke alarm in her kitchen over the door that goes off whenever we make toast.  The toast isn't even close to being burnt, but it almost always goes off.  I can only surmise that it's because of the way the heat rises that causes the detector to think it's smoke and triggers the alarm.  I don't know if there is any way to adjust it.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 June 08, 03:13:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen one on the wall before.  Shocked
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 June 08, 03:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My smoke alarm is on the wall, right next to my bedroom.  Most of the alarms I've had have been ceiling-mounted up until now, though.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 June 08, 03:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This reminds me of a guy on MTS2, I think it was, who said he couldn't understand why in the Sims 2, they had their post box on a pole in front of their house.  He had never seen that before and he said whoever puts their post box on a pole in front of their house?  You're supposed to have a slot in the front door for letters.  Well, it turned out that he wasn't from the US, and I kind of wondered since he called it a post box and not a mail box.  After several people pointed out that having a mail box on a post in front of the house near the street was common in rural areas of the US, he said he was from the UK, where they usually have mail slots in the front door.  It just shows that people are often quick to criticize things they aren't familiar with and forget that people do things differently in different parts of the world or even different parts of the same country.  Doesn't mean one way is right and the others are wrong.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 June 08, 04:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think what are on the ceiling are smoke detectors, which don't connect to a fire station, just sound an alarm to wake the inhabitants up so they can call the fire brigade and get out in time!

Which is probably all that 90% of the folks here in the US who have any kind of fire alarm actually have.  But even so; my parents got a house-wide fire/burglar alarm system back in the 60's when we were kids, and the fire detectors were little silver rectangular boxes that were ceiling mounted.  Our neighbors also have a whole house fire/burglar alarm that they had installed about 5-6 years ago, and all their fire detectors are on the ceiling too.  Wall mounts are only for anyone too lazy to get out the step stool to reach the ceiling. Smiley

I don't believe I've ever seen a ceiling-mounted smoke alarm in my life.  I've lived up north (Indiana) and down south (Alabama, North Carolina), and all the smoke alarms in the houses I've lived in were mounted near the ceiling but on the wall.  And it wasn't because someone was too lazy to get the stepladder because I always had to get the stepladder out to change the batteries.  Before my ex-husband left, he could do it without a step stool, but the batteries have to be changed every six months.  If it starts chirping, you have to change it or you won't get any rest.  You will be driven to change it!  So putting it in a place that is easy to reach is just common sense, not laziness.  Tongue

My grandma has a smoke alarm in her kitchen over the door that goes off whenever we make toast.  The toast isn't even close to being burnt, but it almost always goes off.  I can only surmise that it's because of the way the heat rises that causes the detector to think it's smoke and triggers the alarm.  I don't know if there is any way to adjust it.

I HAD a ceiling-mounted smoke alarm in my room. I say "had" because it was impossible to replace the battery because of a combination of its location and the fact that the battery cover was soldered to the case, and it kept beeping at me. I tore it down with main force because I couldn't get a screwdriver in the right position because of how high it was, and couldn't get a ladder under it because it was over my bed. Now there is a hole in my ceiling, but I can sleep at night and my cat doesn't meow at me about the horrible beeping. The people who lived here before us were do-it-yourselfers, and they put in a lot of annoying things like that, none of which was up to code. I have a nice, normal wall-mounted smoke detector now. Wall-mounted ones are definitely the norm everywhere I've lived.

I've had to disable smoke alarms in every kitchen I've ever had because they freak out over the tiniest amount of smoke or even heat. Stir-frying with those things on is masochistic. A friend of mine was able to stop hers from flipping out at the slightest provocation by covering it with saran wrap.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 June 08, 06:06:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This reminds me of a guy on MTS2, I think it was, who said he couldn't understand why in the Sims 2, they had their post box on a pole in front of their house.  He had never seen that before and he said whoever puts their post box on a pole in front of their house?  You're supposed to have a slot in the front door for letters.  Well, it turned out that he wasn't from the US, and I kind of wondered since he called it a post box and not a mail box.  After several people pointed out that having a mail box on a post in front of the house near the street was common in rural areas of the US, he said he was from the UK, where they usually have mail slots in the front door.  It just shows that people are often quick to criticize things they aren't familiar with and forget that people do things differently in different parts of the world or even different parts of the same country.  Doesn't mean one way is right and the others are wrong.

Speaking of, I too never seen a mailbox in the middle of the street. I'm from Chicago and the mailbox is connected to the house. The mailman actually has to walk up everyone's stairs to deliver the mail...and they all have very sexy legs because of it!  Roll Eyes Whenever I build a house, I MUST move the box as close to the house as I can get it. It just seems more natural to me...
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 June 08, 06:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've lived in houses too that had a letter box on the house, so I've seen it both ways.  Here though, I've never seen a home with a slot in the door for mail, but I've seen some businesses like that.  It's still awfully silly that sims have to pull the mail out of the box and trek through the house until they find an empty surface to dump it on.  I first learned in Sims 1 that you could cancel the Get mail action and they'd dump it where they stood, and you could click on the bills to have them pay them right there.  It's too bad they didn't fix this in Sims 2.  I loved JM's Pay at box hack, but it's too bad NL broke it.  Sad  I wish Maxis would get a clue and fix little things like that.  You'd think they never actually played the game.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 June 08, 06:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer my steaks to be still entirely purple, warm, and dripping with blood. Preferrably with the dead cow still present.

Here in Oz (and it could be elsewhere too) we call that a 'blue' steak and ordering such an item at a restaurant usually goes something like this:

Waiter: "How would you like your steak cooked Sir?"

Customer: "Oh, just lop off its horns, wipe its arse and whack it on the plate thank you"  Cheesy

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 June 08, 07:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it's standard in NZ to have smoke alarms on the ceiling - I always thought that was logical because smoke rises - that's why we're supposed to crawl to get out of a smoke filled house, because there's clearer air down below.

Aussieone, you crack me up mate! Blunt as!
BTW, check out the Romanov threads on laverwinklesims, simyou has a new love.

aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 June 08, 08:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aussieone, you crack me up mate! Blunt as!
BTW, check out the Romanov threads on laverwinklesims, simyou has a new love.

Ah...sim me has a new love?

* I must flee and check it out*

ETA: No wonder sim sheila aussieone (and you crack me up with that name witch) has three bolts with her new love....she's definitely sheila's type  Grin
« Last Edit: 2006 June 08, 08:54:16 by aussieone » Logged

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 June 08, 09:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin

Actually blame Simmiecal for that name - I pinched it off her sim in MATYville.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: