More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 12:14:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?  (Read 15484 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: 'No Patch' Play - How do you feel about this?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 June 13, 07:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's probably some people out there that don't install Microsoft Windows updates because they see no need for them.  Also, these are probably the same people that think Microsoft is watching them.
I don't, and they are!

Yup. And those are the same idiots who are responsible for keeping trojans and viruses alive, since they refuse to plug their security holes out of misplaced paranoia.
Windoze *IS* a security hole. That's why you never leave a Windoze machine directly exposed to the Internet. Remember, it's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

If they really were THAT anti-Microsoft they'd not be running Windows (but if they were competent enough to run something else, they'd realize Microsoft is relatively harmless… nice dilemma).
Sadly, games do not run on Linux or MacOS. Or I'd have defected by now. As it stands, Windoze machines are treated with suspicion and firmly watched by their Linux-equipped chaperones.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 June 14, 14:31:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's probably some people out there that don't install Microsoft Windows updates because they see no need for them.  Also, these are probably the same people that think Microsoft is watching them.

Is that why I keep gettting this message? 
You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 June 14, 14:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that why I keep gettting this message? 
You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.

No, you're getting that because you are thieving scum. And dumb, since why wlaw would you admit to theft on a public forum?
Alternately you're ignorant, and your software reseller or computer manufacturer is a stupid thief.

Granted MS is overcharging Windows, but there are legal ways to get Windows cheap (student licenses, corporate licenses, etc.).
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 June 14, 15:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sorta sounds like a spamware message.  You know those weird spammy popups that come up from time to time when you're online?
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 June 14, 16:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jordi _ I don't think you read the *sarcasm* in my post  Kiss

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 June 14, 17:10:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops. Detecting written sarcasm can be difficult, without smilies.
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 June 15, 02:54:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

S'ok Smiley I thought I'd typed a  Wink at the end but I think inserting the *quote* lost it

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 June 15, 03:07:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The MS WGA "tool" falls under the definition of "spyware."  Check this out:

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/06/wga-notification-phones-home-during.html

The anti-piracy tool attempts to contact Microsoft over the internet each time the computer boots. The connections occur even if you do not have Windows Automatic Update enabled.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 June 15, 08:49:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really, since it does not enable itself. You must at least once have installed it and accepted the EULA which does state it will connect by itself. It is not automatically installed.

It is not necessary, it is not good, but it ain't spyware either.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 June 16, 12:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really, since it does not enable itself. You must at least once have installed it and accepted the EULA which does state it will connect by itself. It is not automatically installed.

It is not necessary, it is not good, but it ain't spyware either.
If it phones home in a shifty and ilicit manner, regardless of what shady things they bury in not-entirely-legal EULAs, it's spyware. Period. Keep in mind it is not necessary to accept a EULA in order to install the product, since you can easily replace the contents with anything you wish prior to hitting accept. Not to mention that by the time you get to that part, you've already bought the product, which certainly had no such contract at time of sale. And it's totally acceptable for me to vandalize the EULA. After all, I've bought the product, and I haven't agreed to any terms, of questionable validity or not, until I actually accept the EULA. Which I don't do. Until it's been replaced with text extolling the virtues of cheese. Which I don't at all find objectionable and therefore accept.

If it's not necessary and not good, then it is spyware. Period. Hell, simply being NOT GOOD makes it malware. It's SPYING on you. It's SPYWARE. How much more literal do you need?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 June 16, 12:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Couldn't agree more, JM!

BTW, what distro(s) do you run on your Linux boxes?

INTJ
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 June 16, 12:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, "distro" implies it's distributed, which isn't entirely accurate, but I run Black Hat Linux.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 June 16, 13:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because I use the delete function to delete recolors etc too often and I don't want to lose that. Also, I'ver heard that the patch doesn't fix everything -- I'll wait.

I don't think the delete option as it used to be is ever going to be back. From what I've read, Maxis has announced that it's the way they wanted to be and they have their reasons. You can still delete objects with the design tool even with the patch installed, you do know that, right? Buy the object onto a lot, use the design tool and delete the recolors from there.

I would not consider playing without patches with OFB bug of getting stuck on a community lot if you arrived in your own car and saved at some point.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 June 16, 13:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, "distro" implies it's distributed, which isn't entirely accurate, but I run Black Hat Linux.

Strangely appropriate name....Cheesy
But you're right, that is not a distro, that is just software and information about how to protect yourself.
Unless you build your own Linux version?

INTJ
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 June 16, 13:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is how I feel about Linux after watching my husband get frustrated with his version of it  Tongue. Well, I do feel some national pride for the original inventor of Linux being Finnish, but that's as far as it goes.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 June 16, 14:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it IS frustrating but what a rush when it finally works!  Grin

INTJ
SockMonkey
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 June 16, 15:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if it's possible to get the patch on a CD or something, for those people who don't have good reliable internet on their Sims2 computer?

Not that I have that problem, mind ye, but I've thought about getting a computer with good RAM specifically just for The Sims 2. Cuz quite frankly, the game runs so SLOW for me.

That's what I had to do - I now have 1Gig of Ram and a 128Mg video card.  The video card has become outdated by Maxis recommendations, but I don't care it still works great.

SM
SockMonkey
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 June 16, 16:11:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't consider playing an unpatched game, but if you WANT bugs in your game, go ahead. It's your BFFBFS.

Jordi, really, speaking for myself, I was stating just how wonderful a job that the hacks and mods do for the game 'as is'.  Like Rainbow said, I just roll with the games and use the updates included with each new expack.

I'm actually playing an unpatched game too. No fire balls either. I didn't patch mainly because I use a lot of hacks, both here and MTS2, and I don't even want to start to check compatability. Luckily, I can own community lots. I'm basically waiting for the Pets EP. Because it is easier to see if a hack works for certain EP than certain patch of an EP. I'm going away for the most of this summer so I won't play much.

I have many and I have not run into a compatibility problem yet.  I am careful what I choose and I run the compatibility tool as a guide.

SM
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 June 17, 03:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't see what is so great about Linux.  It's not any "easier" to install them, and I've had less errors in Windows XP than in Ubuntu.  Kubuntu wouldn't even install.  Fedora Core took the entire 20GB partition I made for it for itself, I couldn't reduce the size of it afterwards like the 70GB partition that Windows resided on.  Not to mention that they bundle FIREFOX in those distros.  You'd think if they cared about security and speed they would have ditched it for Opera.

Other than SP1 clothing, has Maxis ever fixed a critical issue that wasn't fixed by the 3rd party? 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 June 17, 03:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really, and some things STILL aren't fixed. Even though they messed with the relevant BHAV, they STILL didn't fix the "parent of child on phone shows up and hangs around like deranged stalker" bug. Which has been the Phone Hack fixes since the original game.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: