More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 12:27:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Package installer problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Package installer problem  (Read 5479 times)
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Package installer problem
« on: 2006 June 01, 15:36:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, here's a weird one.  I tried firing up the Maxis package installer on my desktop system to install baratron's sim, and I keep getting a 'missing expansion pack' error, even though I have all the expansion packs.  It worked fine on my test laptop system, which has the exact same expansion packs. 

Any clues on how to fix this one?  Registry error/problem maybe?

Edit: yup, it was a registry error -- for some reason, the registry never got updated on my desktop, and the shortcut still referred to the original version of the package installer, not the newest one.  Editing the path in the registry fixed the issue.

Just an FYI for anyone else who may encounter this....
« Last Edit: 2006 June 01, 15:52:28 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Package installer problem
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 01, 16:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every new install of a new EP means something is missed!  I think the CDs are just too shiny and new!

Zephyr Zodiac
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 01, 20:05:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh, I wonder if that's also the origin of the common error of similar type, which most people get around by just using Clean Installer to install everything. (That's certainly what I do. It's the program I have associated with Sims2Pack files anyway.)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 01, 20:08:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the multiSims2Pack installer for walls and floors.

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 01, 22:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, I always use CleanInstaller, but baratron packaged her self-sim on a lot, so it has to be installed with the package installer to work properly.  Drove me nuts when it didn't work until I sorted out the registry.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 01, 22:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're definitely braver than I am!  I haven't messed with a registry since Sims 1 on my old, long defunct ME!

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 01, 23:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so used to fixing things in the registry for the past umpteen years I don't even think about it anymore. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 01, 23:25:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just use Registry Mechanic and leave it at that!

Zephyr Zodiac
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 01, 23:28:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a horrible time reinstalling all the Maty sims after I did a reinstall. They would not install for the life of me until i got the clean installer to install them into my saved sims folder...before OFB i didnt have this problem  all i did was click on the package install and bam ! it was in.

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 01, 23:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3716.msg118170#msg118170

So maybe you guys can figure out what I have going here? If you have any idea why I had 2 versions of bodyshop available to me when I downloaded Baratrons lot, and how to fix this, that would be great.
 Not that it's a big problem, because I usually use clean installer. I just kind of thought it was weird that the newest version didn't override the older versions
 I am totally unawesome and I make my kid figure out most of the technical stuff for me. So if you can maybe tell me what he needs to do to fix it.....? Tongue Thx
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 01, 23:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3716.msg118170#msg118170

So maybe you guys can figure out what I have going here? If you have any idea why I had 2 versions of bodyshop available to me when I downloaded Baratrons lot, and how to fix this, that would be great.
 Not that it's a big problem, because I usually use clean installer. I just kind of thought it was weird that the newest version didn't override the older versions
 I am totally unawesome and I make my kid figure out most of the technical stuff for me. So if you can maybe tell me what he needs to do to fix it.....? Tongue Thx

The reason why the version from your most recent EP doesn't override the older ones is the same reason why it doesn't do so with the actual Body Shop program, and the same reason why new EPs have their own separate directory and don't overwrite the game files from the older ones... it's to prevent people from having to reinstall completely from scratch if they install an EP and then later decide for whatever reason to uninstall it. (Which a lot of people have apparently done with FF.)

Don't have a clue what you need to do, though, since I can't remember the last time I used the built-in installer.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 01, 23:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Told you I was totally not awesome  Grin but that reason makes sense I guess. However I'm assuming that means I have multiple versions of the sames body shop programs taking up precious space on my poor clunky old comnputer? Bah! Angry Quick, how do I get rid of them???
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 02, 01:05:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure that's a good idea to try. Also, I think I have skintones that use more disk space than Body Shop -- each version is only about 7MB, not exactly a disk space hog.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 02, 01:17:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, if you really need to find space, try checking for old drivers for your video card, and for old versions of directX.  You could do this easily by uninstalling everything to do with Directx and then installing the latest version.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: