More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 19:26:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Major imbalance of boys vs girls being born
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Major imbalance of boys vs girls being born  (Read 17991 times)
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Major imbalance of boys vs girls being born
« on: 2006 January 14, 19:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing the Legacy challenge (so I've got no pregnancy hacks in, I'm not supposed to save and exit right before birth to try again for a different gender) and for the last... three? generations, all of the children born have been girls. I generally have 3 - 4 kids per generation, but this last one I think I've had 7? All girls.

Yeah for Legacy it's supposed to be good that you hvae girls, so you dont have to move in and marry anyone. But I can't Try For Baby unless the guy has moved in. So really, it's not much of an advantage. I'm also running out of girls' names.

I don't want to have to reset the family or anything because that would mess up the challenge, but im wondering is there anything that could be done? Maybe for after the challenge, too, if it *will* take some editing/deleting.

I just miss raising boy sims.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Re: Major imbalance of boys vs girls being born
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 14, 19:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you should be able to try for baby when the female is the playable sim and the male is just a visitor.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 14, 19:45:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or, alternatively, you can play another lot (even a player-made CAS male), and invite your Legacy heiress over and try for baby.  You just won't get that NPC bonus.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 14, 19:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the female has to be a playable sim that you're playing at the moment before the Try For Baby option comes up. Only Woohoo is possible otherwise.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 14, 19:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I had played around with this before, but I could be remembering incorrectly.
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 14, 20:18:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The female is always the playable sim, as I only ever have females in the household these days.

I'd much rather figure out this birth imbalance though  Undecided
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 14, 20:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly how many births have you had in this family, and how many of them have been female?
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 14, 20:39:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Births: 21

Girls - 17
Boys - 4
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 14, 20:56:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like the birth imbalance is just the result of a random fluke. A "truly random" sequence of 1s and 0s (or boys and girls, or heads and tails) will have long stretches of just one or the other. This is normal, and it should even out after a while.

In the meantime, you have two options. One is to bend the rules of the challenge a little, and use the save and reload trick to get the gender you want. The other is to bend the rules in a different, and not technically against the rules way, and edit the gender of babies using SimPE. I think there's instructions on how to do that in the "tired of blue nurseries" thread. Or whatever its called.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 14, 20:56:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I can't Try For Baby unless the guy has moved in.

why not? is it against the rules? because the option should be there since it is the females home...

I'm also running out of girls' names.

http://www.behindthename.com/
http://www.yourbabysname.com/
http://www.20000-names.com/
http://www.babynames.com/
http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/

Grin
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 14, 21:24:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the female definitely has to be the playable character. Though I've gotten around this (to make it even) and used the mind-control mirror to have the female visitor selectable while woohooing, so that there's an equal chance... I have risky woohoo going but I don't know if it still applies when the female is the visitor.

But as for the original topic... lots of people seem to have these runs of one sex or the other, apparently because the Maxis randomizer doesn't randomize completely randomly. Mine's done that several times, though not quite to that extent. The SimPeing sex-change seems to work quite nicely, though.
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 14, 21:50:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha it was a girl at first, but I quit and reloaded it and got a boy. I've long given up on playing strictly to the Legacy rules, and I'm so glad I finally gave up on the baby thing and got a boy this time. Eee. ^___^
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 15, 00:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You want gender imbalance?

This one family I was playing I particularly wanted a boy (or even several of them)  instead I get 72 girls.  In a row.

in fact, the same couple, out of 100 births, had a grand total of 9 boys.

Now that's imbalance.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 15, 01:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does something like that happen? and 72 kids?

You know, I recently read something in Scientific American about gender imbalance in a community causing an increase in criminal activity... maybe you should have more of your sims getting into "life of crime" career paths
« Last Edit: 2006 January 15, 01:57:43 by Ellatrue » Logged

Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 15, 02:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was specifically trying to recreate a sim born to two parents, so all I was doing was Try for baby, speed up pregnancy, give birth.  Lather, rinse repeat.  Hence the 72 children lol.  And this was in a brand new never been played pleasantview with the one couple made in CAS.  So there shouldn't have been an overkill of one gender or the other.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 15, 13:12:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know the rules of the Legacy challenge, but is it permissable to use the Lot Debugger?  I use the rerandomizer on it when I'm playing a household where a birth is imminent (save before using!) and it seems to help.  Otherwise, I seem to get a lot more girls than boys as well.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 15, 13:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know the rules of the Legacy challenge, but is it permissable to use the Lot Debugger?
I think you're permitted to use things to fix bugs. The Debugger is meant for fixing bugs, including the bug in the random-sim-generator.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 15, 14:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And all I've had are boys. (not that I've tried 72 times or anything ridiculous like that). And I do use the lot debugger (the Legacy rules might not like it but I don't like clones so something had to give) although I won't reload if the babies a boy. I wrote the "search for a baby girl" into my storyline instead. Kinda fun... will see how long it take to get a girl and now I'm kinda hoping it's not too quick :) (so the next birth will undoubtedly be female).

Unsouper
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 15, 15:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a new neighbourhood the first kids will always be girls. Ts2 tries to get an equal male/female spread in each neighbourhood, and as there are more male-only NPCs you'll start with a shortage in females.

Add a dummy family of females, or generate some female townies to rebalance the hood.

OR you could just be unlucky and suffer from the sado-randomness.
Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 15, 15:22:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Girls are plentiful in my neighbourhood too.  Since my new install I've had like 15 girls and 2 boys.  I don't like reloading for gender, but I guess I will need to soon. 

In a new neighbourhood the first kids will always be girls. Ts2 tries to get an equal male/female spread in each neighbourhood, and as there are more male-only NPCs you'll start with a shortage in females.

Add a dummy family of females, or generate some female townies to rebalance the hood.

You could be right.  This is my third install since getting the original and I've always started fresh.  I always get alot more girls than boys.

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 15, 15:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If there really is some kind of forced loading mechanism, then the game will always be biased towards girls, because anything you do is going to promote an excess of girls: Marrying your surplus girls to the male NPCs only exacerbates the problem, since it will simply cause those NPCs to respawn. Making more boys will exacerbate the problem. Making more girls causes, surprise surprise, MORE GIRLS.

Which essentially means that if this is true, there's no way around the problem, and the game is simply biased towards more girls.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 15, 16:06:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

/goes on a shooting spree

Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 15, 16:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've thought about the baby gender problem for a while, and I've come up with two different ideas, both of which are unappealing.

1. Brandi Broke Effect : If there is only one parent linked to a pregnancy, the baby will be the opposite gender.  This kinda sucks because then the resulting baby genetics are one sided.

2. Twins Effect: Make every birth a twins birth and discard the unwanted gender.  Rather draconian and leads to BFBVFS.

---
Torkle
plastic shine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 15, 16:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. So hack-wise, a good one to install would be LotDebugger? (link to that, please?)

And all this talk about creating townies... I didn't even know you could?  Huh  I thought the only ones you got were the ones Maxis made.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 15, 16:25:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my new Pleasantview since my hard drive crash I've had a total of 9 babies born in game...all boys. I'm inclined to blame it on the sado-random number generator, which we all know sucks hard in the game.

@plastic shine - lot debugger: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=72.0. To create townies, zap sims into the townie pool using Inge's teleporter shrub (simlogical.com).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: