More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 03:34:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Official: "Removing SecuROM from your System" at the BBS
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Official: "Removing SecuROM from your System" at the BBS  (Read 5400 times)
GoddessByline
Blathering Buffoon

They're everywhere!

View Profile
Official: "Removing SecuROM from your System" at the BBS
« on: 2007 October 08, 21:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If this is the wrong place to post... please move to correct location, or poke me with sticks, whichever seems suitable.

Author: MaxoidViolet - Rank: Tongue-Tied Tourist - View MySimPage Profile
Date: Oct-08-07 11:50 AM PDT (updated Oct-08-07 01:16 PM PDT)
Subject: Removing SecuROM from your System Mood:

There are two types of SecuROM that you may be dealing with on your system: the disk version, and the digital (Download Manager) version. I know some of you are worried about having SecuROM 'installed' on your machine so I just wanted to explain where it lives and how to remove it if you choose to do so.
Disk Version
The version of SecuROM that comes with the disk version of a game does not install SecuROM anywhere on your system. The software is integrated with the game exe files so that when you activate an exe to install or run the game, it makes its copy protection check. In this case, if you wanted to remove SecuROM, it is simply part of the game and an be removed by uninstalling the game.

Digital Version
The digital version does require that some files are installed on the machine. This is because the digital version grants licenses through the Download Manager unlike the disk version which is offline. SecuROM offers an uninstaller for the digital version of SecuROM if you'd like to remove the SecuROM licenses for your games. However, removing these licenses removes your ability to play offline, and if you try to get a new license by running the game whilst connected (this happens through the Download Manager) you will be granted another SecuROM license as it is required to authenticate the game.

SecuROM Digital Version Uninstaller (This is from SecuROM and not from EA/Sims so please contact SecuROM support with any questions about the use of this Uninstaller. Please note that it only works with the digital version.): www.securom.com/support/S...taller.zip

SecuROM's instructions for using the Uninstaller:
"Please download it, extract the application file and follow the instructions below:
- The easiest way of using this tool is to copy the SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe file into your C:\ directory.
- Open the Windows command box by pressing and selecting the option. Now type 'cmd' (without apostrophes) and press on the keyboard.
- Type: 'cd\' (without apostrophes) and press on the keyboard.
- Please type: SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe /uninstall
- A dialog box will appear. To start the SecuROM uninstallation, press the button."

Other Notes on SecuROM Installation
Please note that I didn't mention any sort of SecuROM drivers that replace your normal drivers or other mysterious installs that SecuROM has to perform on your machine. The way SecuROM is setup with our games (and this may be different from other situations you've researched) is so that it only lives in and is activated by using the game exe files on the disk version, and the electronic licenses that allow you to play the game after verifying ownership in the EADM/Store for the digital version.

If you are having issues with your system that you think may be related to SecuROM please be sure to check out the other stickies for steps on reporting your issue so that we can help you!

I hope this helps to answer your questions!

~Violet

Well, it does seem like they have absolutely no idea over at EAxis what SecuROM is or what it does, as the above statment is absolutely false. Lies and propaganda, as you would say here.

The disc version installs THREE registry keys on our systems. First the key with the disputed rootkit behaviour, the infamous "SECUROM - CANNOT DELETE ME" key, plus the two HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM and HKEY_USERS\<Computer specific key>\Software\SecuROM keys.
And in addition to those three keys, there's also one folder at C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom

Furthermore, those who didn't install and ran the game from an administrator account on their pc's also have 2 windows services running.

Remember to always be yourself... Unless you suck!
GoddessByline
Blathering Buffoon

They're everywhere!

View Profile
Re: Official: "Removing SecuROM from your System" at the BBS
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 08, 22:56:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, MaxoidViolet have now edited her post.
If it made things any clearer, Im not so sure about though.

Since SMBelchie banned the majority of the BBS'ers with an IQ above their shoe size, I have a hard time believing that those sheeps that are allowed to remain there, will understand the instructions.

Author:  MaxoidViolet - Rank: Tongue-Tied Tourist - View MySimPage Profile 
Date:  Oct-08-07 11:50 AM PDT (updated Oct-08-07 02:06 PM PDT)
Subject:  Removing SecuROM from your System   Mood:   

There are two types of SecuROM files that you may be dealing with on your system: the intergrated exe file, and the license files. I know some of you are worried about having SecuROM 'installed' on your machine so I just wanted to explain where it lives and how to remove it if you choose to do so.
EXE Files
The software is integrated with the game exe files so that when you activate an exe to install or run the game, it makes its copy protection check. In this case, if you wanted to remove SecuROM, it is simply part of the game and an be removed by uninstalling the game.

License Files
The digital version does require that some files are installed on the machine. This is because the digital version grants licenses through the Download Manager. The disk version grants license files when it authenticates the disk. You may find a 'SecuROM' folder that contains these licenses as well as a readme.

SecuROM offers an uninstaller for the SecuROM licenses if you'd like to remove them from your system. However, these licenses will be replaced if you try to run the game again, as you will be granted another SecuROM license when the game is authenticated versus your disk (disk version) or account (digital version).

SecuROM License Uninstaller (This is from SecuROM and not from EA/Sims so please contact SecuROM support with any questions about the use of this Uninstaller.): http://www.securom.com/support/SecuROM_Uninstaller.zip

SecuROM's instructions for using the Uninstaller:
"Please download it, extract the application file and follow the instructions below:
- The easiest way of using this tool is to copy the SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe file into your C:\ directory.
- Open the Windows command box by pressing and selecting the option. Now type 'cmd' (without apostrophes) and press on the keyboard.
- Type: 'cd\' (without apostrophes) and press on the keyboard.
- Please type: SecuROM_Uninstaller.exe /uninstall
- A dialog box will appear. To start the SecuROM uninstallation, press the button."

Other Notes on SecuROM Installation
Please note that I didn't mention any sort of SecuROM drivers that replace your normal drivers or other mysterious communications that SecuROM has to perform from your machine. The way SecuROM is setup with our games (and this may be different from other situations you've researched) is so that it is activated by using the game exe files so it can verify that it is safe and proper to run the game.

If you are having issues with your system that you think may be related to SecuROM please be sure to check out the other stickies for steps on reporting your issue so that we can help you!

I hope this helps to answer your questions!

~Violet

Remember to always be yourself... Unless you suck!
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 08, 23:14:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, MaxoidViolet have now edited her post.
If it made things any clearer, Im not so sure about though.

Since SMBelchie banned the majority of the BBS'ers with an IQ above their shoe size, I have a hard time believing that those sheep that are allowed to remain there, will understand the instructions.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 08, 23:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Madame Maxoidette's eyes must be brown since she's so full of crap.  They just don't get it.

Oh well, the removal instructions are pretty clear here and you don't even have to bother uninstalling EP6. 
lovesimsKL
Blathering Buffoon

I bite.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 09, 01:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's funny is those exact removal instructions were posted at least 5 times before I got banned and each time they were tried and reported to be bullshit. Did MaxoidViolet think "Well let me try this again maybe they will believe the crap from a Maxoid". But the sheep will probably eat it up like usual  Roll Eyes Until one of the few with brains tells them they won't work - but we know how that will end.
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 19, 17:49:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Furthermore, those who didn't install and ran the game from an administrator account on their pc's also have 2 windows services running.

I installed from the disk, but I only have one user account on my computer -- the administrator account.  I did notice that instead of having the UAService7.exe file in the system32 folder that I had the cmdlineext.dll file.  I don't know what you mean when you say that I have "2 windows services running."  I would like to find out about this since I'm having so many problems.  Could you give me more info?

Thanks!
Babydoll
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 19, 19:16:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope I didn't miss someone else posting this but, the uninstaller from SecuROM site is a big 404. I was just curious about it as I download a No-cd thingie.(I have to. My game will play a day or so, crash and won't start again even without hacks.)
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 19, 19:35:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope I didn't miss someone else posting this but, the uninstaller from SecuROM site is a big 404. I was just curious about it as I download a No-cd thingie.(I have to. My game will play a day or so, crash and won't start again even without hacks.)
If you mean the link in the first post, no, that won't work, as the URL has been mangled by the BBS's link shortening system.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Babydoll
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 19, 20:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'k...just curious like I said. Actually, I'm afraid to try anything that is suggested by Ea or associated...Unless backed up those (modders) who know  Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: