More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 09:32:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!  (Read 48001 times)
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Re: But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!
« Reply #75 on: 2006 February 02, 23:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright but even virgins need to learn a little technique at one point Cheesy

If you want to just start over, all you have to do is rename your The Sims 2 folder to something else.  Next time you fire up the game, it will create a brand spanking new game.  If it's still crashing, then it's time to pull out your pile o' cd's.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 February 02, 23:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright but even virgins need to learn a little technique at one point Cheesy

If you want to just start over, all you have to do is rename your The Sims 2 folder to something else.  Next time you fire up the game, it will create a brand spanking new game.  If it's still crashing, then it's time to pull out your pile o' cd's.

Well pop my cherry.  Thanks Angelyne.  You may not believe this but I joined this forum to learn a little technique; after 131 posts and 3 promotions I finally have. Mind you; the refresher course in sarcasm and witty comments hasn't hurt. LOL

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 February 02, 23:46:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Downloading Ho".  Yep, I resemble that remark.   Roll Eyes

My downloads folder is currently 1.16 GB (1,250,386,162 bytes), 4746 files.  I'm going to work on cleaning it out a little.  It takes about 10 minutes for the game to load, and about 2-5 for a lot.  But, we're upgrading the RAM from 512 mb to 1 gig, so we'll see if that helps.  

My theory on my own downloading addiction:  It's a direct result of being a materialistic child of the 80's.  We have to have it all. The best, the shiniest.  Especially we females, were taught that we need a wardrobe that looked like a fashion show, and a shoe collection that rivaled Imelda Marcos' (mispelled).  Buttt, how many of us actually have that?  Not I.  I can download all the things I fantazise about for free online and enjoy them through my Sims.  I'd be curious to see what everyone downloads, because I'd bet that all of them are things that we wish for in real life.  For example:  I recently noticed that most of my sims have long hair.  I have about 50 different longer styles, all based on Brianna's longer mesh, the Jenette Biderman Mesh, and a couple from Pronupsims.net.  I just recently chopped my own RL hair off because it just won't grow past my shoulders.  Sad  I have always wanted long thick hair but was not blessed with it.  But, most of my female sims are, thanks to me.  
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 February 03, 02:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[
Well pop my cherry.  Thanks Angelyne.  You may not believe this but I joined this forum to learn a little technique; after 131 posts and 3 promotions I finally have. Mind you; the refresher course in sarcasm and witty comments hasn't hurt. LOL

lol, Flowerchile, that had me chuckling.
I'd be curious to see what everyone downloads, because I'd bet that all of them are things that we wish for in real life.  For example:  I recently noticed that most of my sims have long hair.  I have about 50 different longer styles, all based on Brianna's longer mesh, the Jenette Biderman Mesh, and a couple from Pronupsims.net.  I just recently chopped my own RL hair off because it just won't grow past my shoulders.  Sad  I have always wanted long thick hair but was not blessed with it.  But, most of my female sims are, thanks to me. 

Interesting theory Kristalrose.  Most of my sims are wearing fetching short styles or curly hair.  I've had long thick straight (blond) hair most of my life.  Well less thick now, damn this growing old crap.  Believe me it's a lot of work, maybe more than it's worth. 

Anyway, most of the stuff I am downloading are beautiful sexy clothes for my willowy sims (I am not willowy in the least) and beautiful furniture for my houses.  (I've only recently become a house owner and my furniture is crap and my house needs some serious redecorating).

So you might have a point there.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 February 03, 03:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree!  I have all slim sims, sims with gorgeous hair (no gray), sims with houses that have different rooms painted different colors, and sims with furniture that matches.  And in my "real game" they all have great looking clothes too.  That game has a 3.3gb dl folder and takes 7 minutes to load.  The "first alternate" game I'm using now has only downloaded hair and hacks, and loads in less than 2 minutes.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 February 03, 03:17:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd be curious to see what everyone downloads, because I'd bet that all of them are things that we wish for in real life.

I think that there's definite truth to that remark. In fact, that's the whole point of the sims for me - vicarious living. I'm a romantic at heart and a sucker for "true love". I also have a burning desire to be fabulously wealthy. Therefore, all my sims are happily married, fabulously rich, living in huge mansions with interior design as seen in the pages of Architectural Digest (that magazine just induces bucketloads of drool). The women, of course, are all fabulously decked out in designer gowns and stiletto heels. (I'm also a sucker for high-fashion) Their hair is always gorgeous and sleek, substituting for my own desire for those $400 haircuts I so totally want. So until I get rich or find true love, the sims is there to fill in the gap.  A gaping void being filled by a ballooning download folder of 3Gb+ Grin
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 February 03, 03:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is it some statement of ego (or satisfaction with my life, but that, frankly, is less interesting than my ego) that most of my sims dress like me, look like me, and live in a house around the same size as mine (or smaller)?

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 February 03, 03:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is it some statement of ego (or satisfaction with my life, but that, frankly, is less interesting than my ego) that most of my sims dress like me, look like me, and live in a house around the same size as mine (or smaller)?

Eaglezero, last night I typed a memo on my addiction to downloading, based on 12 steps to being cured.  Then I decided not to post it because it just said way too much about me as a person! Grin

happy now :-)
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 February 03, 03:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A 8GB download folder?  Wow, I wonder what the limit is on the size of the downloads folder.  I believe in TS1 you couldn't get even half that size in the entire Sims folder.

Au contraire.  Just to prove what a download ho I am and have always been, my TS1 downloads reached a grand total of 12GB by the end
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 February 03, 03:50:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

a follow up to the Request to see my wino and My town which is currently under going  mass construction,

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 February 03, 03:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the undesirable society  that are part of the homeless townies in my neighborhood

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 February 03, 04:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those homeless men sure have a lot of dough. lol.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 February 03, 05:37:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those homeless men sure have a lot of dough. lol.
There were originally four sims on that lot when that pic was taken. I removed the  money using the family funds cheat so they went on to the streets broke

Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 February 03, 06:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Bangelnuts, for posting the pics. I love your little town! You wino is gross; (as well he should be), but the town is awesome. Cheesy

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 February 03, 10:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[

lol, Flowerchile, that had me chuckling.
I'd be curious to see what everyone downloads, because I'd bet that all of them are things that we wish for in real life.  For example:  I recently noticed that most of my sims have long hair.  I have about 50 different longer styles, all based on Brianna's longer mesh, the Jenette Biderman Mesh, and a couple from Pronupsims.net.  I just recently chopped my own RL hair off because it just won't grow past my shoulders.  Sad  I have always wanted long thick hair but was not blessed with it.  But, most of my female sims are, thanks to me. 

Interesting theory Kristalrose.  Most of my sims are wearing fetching short styles or curly hair.  I've had long thick straight (blond) hair most of my life.  Well less thick now, damn this growing old crap.  Believe me it's a lot of work, maybe more than it's worth. 

Anyway, most of the stuff I am downloading are beautiful sexy clothes for my willowy sims (I am not willowy in the least) and beautiful furniture for my houses.  (I've only recently become a house owner and my furniture is crap and my house needs some serious redecorating).

So you might have a point there.

Weeee, I'm back.  Have done as instructed with the Sims2 folder, and reloaded everything but the "bored with", shit and it only took me 3 hours.  Yay... Grin.
 It's actually quite nice to start all over again.  I've learnt quite a bit since first installing, so I can avoid all those little f@&k ups that I was plagued with.   
More downloads; more downloads.........

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2006 February 03, 10:36:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What would actually happen if stuff was removed from the catalog that was in use in lots? Would they revert back to the original (or in the case of new meshes-what they were based on)
I have a bunch of recolours/new meshed stuff that I am going to try to get rid of-but because of my kids, I don't know if they are in use. I'm not going to go through their neighbourhoods, my youngest daughter has about 30 occupied lots! Shocked I'm too darned lazy...

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 February 03, 10:58:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What would actually happen if stuff was removed from the catalog that was in use in lots? Would they revert back to the original (or in the case of new meshes-what they were based on)
I have a bunch of recolours/new meshed stuff that I am going to try to get rid of-but because of my kids, I don't know if they are in use. I'm not going to go through their neighbourhoods, my youngest daughter has about 30 occupied lots! Shocked I'm too darned lazy...

Yes, basically - though the adult females always seem to default to that horrid burgundy shirt/tan trousers combo when you delete skins.  I removed Numenor's windows last week for some reason or other - oh to speed up loading because I wanted to look at something quickly - and when I went into a lot where I'd used them, they'd been replaced by the shop windows.  I exited without saving, put the windows back and they were there again when I went back.

Inteen for AL, yay!
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 February 03, 12:02:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eaglezero, last night I typed a memo on my addiction to downloading, based on 12 steps to being cured.  Then I decided not to post it because it just said way too much about me as a person! Grin

Hah, that's really funny. You should type it back up and post it, because I want to read it now! Plus, downloading IS addictive ... maybe you'd have steps that would help cure me. I do suppose, though, that I'd have to WANT to be cured ...

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 February 03, 14:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah Eaglezero, post it.  This isn't MTS2, we are all friends here.  Anyway we would be in a bad position to judge.. it would be like an alcoholic calling another alcoholic a wino Cheesy
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 February 03, 15:42:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unedited...because I am sad. Grin
My name is Sandilou and I am a simaholic with a download habit.  I need your help.

The problem is the sheer size of my Downloads folder on one of my user accounts, which I cleaned out less than 3 weeks ago.

Size:         3.62 GB (3,897,627,253 bytes)
Size on disk: 3.65 GB (3,920,941,056 bytes)
Contains: 11,410 Files, 301 Folders

I am in Download hell. 

It's time for someone to help me complete 12 steps to a Download free life.

I'm too afraid to even start up the neighbourhood, because it takes 15-20 minutes to load, by which time real life takes over.

So I solemnly swear to....

1.  Only download hair that goes directly into the hair bin. (This means get rid of all that extra custom hair).
2.  Have only 5 additional meshes of hair for each category in the hair bin.
3.  Have no more than 5 additional outfits for each sim category.
4.  Only download different body size meshes and allow 3 additional outfits for their clothing categories. Eg (Consort's Fat mesh).
5.  Reduce the numbers of bed and rug recolours in my downloads folder to...? (please suggest a number because I have well over 150 on beds alone).
6.  Remove any item of furniture that I have never used on a lot..anywhere.
7.  Remove an old download if I add a new download.
8   Resist downloading painting recolours (sob).
9.  Not go off and start a new user account and set up a new neighbourhood so that I don't have to deal with this problem.
10. Not to use step 9 as an excuse  to find yet more stuff to download.
11. Not visit websites and write silly messages so that I can avoid following the 12 steps.
12  Not play any neighbourhood until I have completed these (12) steps.

Will anyone hold my hand while I undergo these steps?  I'm going to be crying alot and finding excuses for not removing stuff.  How do I know? Because that's what I did that last time and it obviously didn't work: all the folders are even bigger than they were before!

If you see me on the boards, you can help me by just typing,  Sandi - "have you cleared your downloads folder yet?" or "what size is your downloads folder now?"

Target size: ?
What is an acceptible amount?

Please help me, this is harder than dieting.

Of course, I'm cured now.  I really don't have a problem and I'm not in denial. Roll Eyes

happy now :-)
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 February 03, 17:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Bangelnuts, for posting the pics. I love your little town! You wino is gross; (as well he should be), but the town is awesome. Cheesy
The wino is the one with the striped bright ugly out fit the string haired blond is the druggie.thanks glad you like my neighborhood.I owe a huge debt of Gratitude to all the wonderful builders at numerous sites including Laverwinkle  for the buildings. however I have 8 maty sims in a apartment building who would disagree with you on the view. out their Back windows sits the I.R.S. and their front view is the Bus Station Grin

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 February 03, 18:01:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, I'm cured now.  I really don't have a problem and I'm not in denial. Roll Eyes

Blah does this mean I would have to get rid of my 122 adult female bathing suits ? The hell with that !! Smiley

I will just get a better system that loads my game in half the time.  So there.

And procastination rules !..  I embrace it !  .. All hail the procastinator  ..I will sweep dust under the carpet, I will stuff everything in the closet and jam shut the door.  I will push everything to the back of the fridge until the day it tries to crawl out on it's own, I will buy oodles of baskets and toss everything in it so I don't have to sort through it.  I will stuff stuff everything else that doesn't fit in the basement.  I am procastinator hear me roar!
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 February 03, 18:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll hold your hand!

Sandi- how big is your download folder now?
*pats Sandi on shoulder and hands her a kleenex*

My TS1 DL/skins folder was six (6!!) CDs of 650MB each!!! By the end, I was only playing in my head because game load time was impossible...not to mention crashes.

I'm much better now, and although I am not cured, TS2 loads in less than 5 minutes (game + neighborhood).

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Once again, edited for typos. Someone should hold an intervention for me...keep me out of forums while my students are quietly reading!!

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: 2006 February 03, 18:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, Sandilou, that is brave of you to look at this as an addiction and try to cure it (I applaud any attempts at self-awareness and improvement), but I rather think this is a bit much. I address this to all of us, including me.

I mean, DL'ing is fun. Free stuff for our consumeristically trained minds! You get to open up the game and play with it immediately and damn, that is sure better than f'ing up your financial life and credit trying to buy this crap in RL.

I do not think DL'ing is the problem, but just finding out how to manage your DLs so you can actually use them is the key. I think what may be at the root of the feeling that DLing is "bad" is the greed which is fueling it.

I mean if you DL something to enjoy it, use it, thank the creator either by thought or deed (signing a guestbook or pushing a thanks button), then you honor your DLs by keeping them organized (whatever method you want) and then actually using said DLs or deleting them until you have only what you want, then what is the problem in that?

I think if you just grab stuff to "have it" and then let your own greed weigh your game down until it is unplayable or until you are doing nothing but dealing with DLs, then perhaps yes, there is a problem there.

If you enjoy it, and the creators make it to be used and enjoyed, then why is it so bad to DL in moderation and with respect to yourself, your game, and others?

No need to 12-step something like DLing. DLing is not a "disease", but greed is.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: 2006 February 03, 18:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blah does this mean I would have to get rid of my 122 adult female bathing suits ? The hell with that !! Smiley

I have no doubt, having seen and being an admirer of Angelyne's DL organization system that the number 122 is exact to the penny, so to speak.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: