More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 05:09:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bon Voyage dissatisfaction
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bon Voyage dissatisfaction  (Read 222485 times)
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Bon Voyage dissatisfaction
« Reply #500 on: 2008 March 26, 11:05:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have more to say on an old topic, it makes sense to continue the old thread for two reasons:-
1.  All the info about the topic stays in one place rather than being spread all over the board
2.  Anyone who was interested in the subject first time round has tools to see there's something new there - "notify" (if it works) and "show new replies to your posts".

People who see the necromancy warning and still post without a good reason are just annoying.  If you want to get draconian, can you fix it so that people with less than X posts, physically CAN'T re-open a closed thread? 

Well, an old thread doesn't necessarily means closed. I believe nobody can reopen a closed thread except admins and mods.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 2008 March 26, 11:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Literally, it means divination by means of the dead (séance, ouija board,) but S&S stories of the '20s and '30s turned it into "raising the dead". There's also a little side-trip where some people thought the word was derived from the Latin word for "black", thus spawning the term "The Black Arts" or "Dark Arts", which pretty much covers anything unwholesome, especially magic that uses parts of dead people (like the hand of glory.)
My favorite classical-mancy is "Chronomancy", the art of divining the future by waiting to see what happens.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 2008 March 26, 11:24:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm awesome at that, plus I have 20/20 hindsight.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 2008 March 26, 19:08:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just use the "new" button that pops up whenever there's a new post in the thread. If it drops off the front page, then it is dead to me.

I still think you can't expect people to read the FAQ. If you want people to care, then make it shorter and not an actual joke. If it isn't something that would be obvious to a stranger or someone new to the game, then we have no business expecting people to know it. Also with the lurking: pointless. People are either going to say retarded things, or they won't, and no amount of lurking will make someone less annoying.   

The only point in lurking before posting is to try and "fit in." Fitting in is for tools. Baaaah!

talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 2008 March 26, 19:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the point was *not* to have an easy-to-find, easy-to-understand FAQ, so that you can point-and-laugh?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 2008 March 26, 19:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only point in lurking before posting is to try and "fit in." Fitting in is for tools. Baaaah!

Bollocks. It's sheer politeness. If I walk off the street into someone's home, I don't change the topic of conversation, pinch the best TV chair or attempt to dictate the social conventions of the place. I watch - do these people drink tea or beer? Do they like rugby or litteratureTM? Is that atmosphere casual or formal? Is swearing OK or not?

We have a series of ads here for Sky, a television provider. The ads show a couple of socially moronic guys, without Sky, trying to fit in with various random strangers so they can watch TV. One example I remember, is they've walked into a cosa nostra house and ruffled the Don's toupee. Many of the first time posters remind me of these two blokes.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 2008 March 26, 20:43:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, your example actually supports the first part of Ellatrue's point, which was that lurking first helps a person fit in.  If the person in question wants something from the group, obviously it's going to help if they fit in.  Whatever you may think about the value of fitting in, it is the prerogative of any group to refuse aid to those who won't fit in.  Simple.

Ruffling feathers has a social value all its own, but it's frankly moronic to expect that to be a practical way of getting a bunch of people to help you solve a problem.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 2008 March 26, 20:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see your point, though I contend I'm coming from a slightly different slant. It's not about what people can do for me but merely a common courtesy I would extend to any place where I don't set the mores. It is not so much about changing oneself to fit in, but more about sussing out if the place is a good fit. Having said that, I also don't go to any place that is alien to my own mores.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 2008 March 26, 21:28:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you, and obviously I follow the same practice.  However, I don't assume that everyone who shows up here wants or expects to join in socially.  I think there are many ways to go about that, and causing a stir may serve your cause.  Maybe it depends on personality; for example, spunky types who can give as good as they get might win some respect even if they flout the rules at first.  Fitting in isn't the only way of joining in, if you get my meaning?

I just chose to limit my contribution to the case that came to mind, where a show of courtesy is undoubtedly useful.  I think MATY extracts a notably high price for not fitting in, but I still think it's within the prerogative of this group to do so.  Personally, I like it.  It keeps the noise down.  Grin
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 2008 March 26, 23:53:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still agreeing with you, this may be a MATY first.  Grin

Yes, there are exceptions, B, Assmitten, Lorelei, Zazazu and many more have bounced into the place and made themselves known. Some MATYans like this, some don't.

I also like that MATY has high standards, it does keep the noise down and that can only be good from my point of view.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 2008 March 27, 10:04:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, there are exceptions, B, Assmitten, Lorelei, Zazazu and many more have bounced into the place and made themselves known. Some MATYans like this, some don't.

But Lorelei...er, I mean, "I"...used the age-old technique of LURK MOAR before posting.  Tongue

ETA: I also read the goddamned FAQ. Kids these days, no manners. Smiley

Quote from: cwykes
...can you fix it so that people with less than X posts, physically CAN'T re-open a closed thread?

I wouldn't call this draconian, I'd consider it an option the owner of the forum could adopt to encourage n00bz to LURK MOAR, READ THE FAQ, and not commit necromancy. All of which, when not done, annoy long-time posters.

These are not new concepts. I've been online almost since I could reach a keyboard to type. That's roughly twenty years. These rules have been around since the beginning.

Translations:

1. Hang around and get used to the culture of a particular site / board / newsgroup / forum / mailing list before wasting bandwidth by irritating people who were there first.
2. If there are helpful "house rules" or guidelines or posting tips, read them. Someone wrote them because these were issues that irritated people who were there first, or which were deemed helpful to new people.
3. Old topic is old. Old topic may even be so old that everyone is completely pissed off when they have their time wasted by a request to rehash it all over again. If you are new, the first action you should take on a new site / forum / BBS / whatever should NOT be to revive an old thread, horn in on a fight, claim to be an expert, demand anything (freebies, help, WCIF, n00dz, torrents, HALP!, friendship) from people who were there before you.

See also an ancient thread about how this is like behaving like a small child running into a cocktail party (where everyone is peacefully discussing adult topics) and waving a filthy frog around and shouting that everyone should drop what they are doing to look at it. "See Mah FROGGIE!" behavior will get n00bz smacked. Believe it or not. as much as MATY likes MOAR FIGHT!, we tend to prefer juicy new fight to sporking hordes of clueless froggie-wavers.

The only quibble here re: necromancy is that it is sometimes difficult to determine which threads are OK to necromance (e.g., hack and mod threads) and which are not (opinion threads, old fight, old chit-chat). The angry lich guy message could potentially be restricted to areas that always hate necromancy, and a different "are you absolutely sure you want to contribute to this old thread and that there are no other more current or more relevant threads on this topic?" message for threads where necromancy is discouraged but not completely forbidden.

I'd welcome an admin decision to restrict n00bz to lurking for several hours, and then only posting in certain areas for a while. I'd even welcome a quiz that requires knowledge that can only be gained by reading the entire FAQ, with this quiz being a gateway between a horde of n00bz and the old guard.

« Last Edit: 2008 March 27, 11:20:29 by Lorelei » Logged

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 2008 March 27, 11:19:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't lurk LONG though, did you?  Tongue

For which I am truly grateful, incidentally.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 2008 March 27, 14:26:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But Lorelei...er, I mean, "I"...used the age-old technique of LURK MOAR before posting.  Tongue

ETA: I also read the goddamned FAQ. Kids these days, no manners. Smiley
I joined April 3, 2007 at 8:55. I posted April 3, 2007 at 9:01. I still somehow managed not to make too much of an ass out of myself, at least for the first couple of days. I'm also pretty sure I didn't read the FAQ for a good week.

Shockingly, having some level of common courtesy gets you far in life. That's really what the FAQ is...a general guide to terms and how not to look like an annoying tween.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: 2008 March 27, 14:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Date Registered:  2005 July 24, 18:16:49
First post on: 2005 July 30, 07:24:12

Wow, I waited a whole 6 days before posting Cheesy FYI, I haven't ever read the FAQ.

Milhouse Trixibelle Saltfucker III
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

How is a weasel like a writing desk?

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 2008 March 27, 14:51:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI, I haven't ever read the FAQ.

You do realise that saying that will no doubt lead to a "Death to EMMA" style comment, right?
'Cause it seemed obvious to me.  Wink

04:49 <@Pescado> That seems somehow unnecessarily cruel.

21:17 < Kewian> Trixie one day you are going to pay for your crimes.

Your source for blood and circuses.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: 2008 March 27, 15:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI, I haven't ever read the FAQ.

You do realise that saying that will no doubt lead to a "Death to EMMA" style comment, right?
'Cause it seemed obvious to me.  Wink

Been there, done that, still here to tell the tale. Grin

Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 2008 March 27, 16:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Come to think of it, anything you say would lead to that result, so it doesn't matter  Tongue
(And I read the FAQ! And I also lurked quite a bit, both before and after registering! My lurk-gotten knowledge of this forum, let me show you it  Cool )

(Also, this is the most smilies I've ever used in one post. I really need a life.)

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 2008 March 27, 18:41:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The FAQs used to have FAQS in the title. It's title was changed in an attempt to get the wandering noobz to pay attention to it. This has not worked, but it hasn't seemed to make a differance one way or the other, they didn't take a look when it was labeled FAQs either. A Noob who is not going to read the stickies, is just not going to read the stickies, regardless of what the title is.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 2008 March 27, 18:45:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I've read...

I have to say that it worked on me. I was sitting there thinking "WTF? I have to know." so I clicked.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 2008 March 27, 20:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't lurk LONG though, did you?  Tongue

For which I am truly grateful, incidentally.

Eh, read before taking the plunge and registering, read the FAQ first, joined, then read all active and inactive threads dating back 3-4 months. This didn't take too long, but I read fast. Seems like some fora aren't viewable until you register, IIRC. Looks like I took another 11-12 hours to read forums available after registration.

Also, followed a link to a specific thread for a mod, and had no idea there was a homepage for months, as I immediately set up a locked tab for "unread posts". Smiley

ETA: A T. My stupid T key is fucking up.
« Last Edit: 2008 March 27, 21:07:01 by Lorelei » Logged

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 2008 March 27, 21:03:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I know made-up animals can't be accessed while unregistered (I was confused, once, when Firefox failed to automagically log me in as usual.)

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 2008 March 27, 21:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also RetardoLand.

I was forwarded here from TSR for something or other. I want to say comm-skilling, or it could have been abortbedmaking. Then clicked the handy-dandy "Have you destroyed a paysite today?". Funny how TSR led me to downloading their booty.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 2008 March 28, 00:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got here from SimLogical.
There's a link to here, for the visitor controller, and another link to the right place, at the Kitten-Killing site, which were a mere one paragraph away from each other.
As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the broken link is still there.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: 2008 March 28, 00:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I wound up here in search of hacks that had disappeared from MTS2.  I picked up my hacks and left, but came back a few times for updates, and eventually became interested enough to register so I could post.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: 2008 March 28, 01:27:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's pretty much how I wound up here, too, BastDawn. I never even knew, until recently, about the fake homepage, because the links from MTS2 led directly to the 'real' index page. Cheesy

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: