More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 20:44:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sims Keep Stealing my Dog's Food!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims Keep Stealing my Dog's Food!  (Read 11621 times)
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Sims Keep Stealing my Dog's Food!
« on: 2007 July 05, 09:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I needed a junk yard dog. So I got an aggressive, dirty dog from the pound. I placed her house outside near the mailbox to chase the walk-bys. I taught her to be filthy and hostile (it didn't take much training for that). I figured to complete the picture, I would train the dog to eat table scraps instead of dog food. No problem. She won't even touch food placed in a dog bowl.

Every time I make a meal for the family, I place one of the plates outside near the doghouse so that she can eat. But Sims keep stealing her food. There will be plates of fresh food on the table, with the serving platter on the counter, yet visitors insist on taking the food from the dog. They even took it from the dog when it was trying to eat it!

Not only is this disgusting, because neat as well as slovenly Sims do it, but I keep getting warnings about my dog starving even though I have started placing several plates on the ground for her.

I know that I can reteach her to eat pet food, but this kind of defeats the whole purpose. I know I can refuse visitors, but I enjoy watching them run around the lot trying to avoid the dog.

Is the whole 'Pets eat Sim food' an entire waste of time? I already have no desire to train another pet like this because I have to go into buy mode each time just to place the plate on the ground. I noticed that cats will get on the counter to eat Sim food, but so far the dog just eats out of the trash can or eats the flowers if it can't get to Sim food.

Am I missing something obvious in the feeding of my pet or is this another one of those great Maxis ideas that is impossible to implement because of poor planning? Is there a way to feed this dog without going into buy mode each time? And is there a way to keep Sims from stealing her food?

I've been using 'noDropServingPlatter' by Squinge which forces Sims to place the serving platter on the counter instead of the floor if you cancel the 'serve' action before it is completed. I could remove that, but then Sims would drop the serving platter on the floor instead of an individual plate, which again doesn't seem to help the situation much.

Has anyone found a successful way of feeding dogs that are trained on Sim food?

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
Re: Sims Keep Stealing my Dog's Food!
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 05, 09:49:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My only suggestion would be to make a small fenced area that only the dog is allowed to enter ... that way you can place the food there and no one else could get at it ... You could even use the security hack by Pescado and kill them if they try(how's that for chuckles?) Grin

Sorry that's all I got.

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
MajorMercedes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 06, 02:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would just direct them eat the food on the counter and not let them do anything food related autonomously.

Being racist is so limiting. Why confine your hatred to specific skin colors, countries, or beliefs? The entire world can be yours to hate.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 08, 01:40:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Teach the family to eat dog food and then they won't want to eat off plates  Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 08, 01:48:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I missing something obvious in the feeding of my pet or is this another one of those great Maxis ideas that is impossible to implement because of poor planning? Is there a way to feed this dog without going into buy mode each time? And is there a way to keep Sims from stealing her food?
It does not appear that any obvious method exists in-game to feed animals people-food. I may consider implementing this as a macro-feature to automatically whip a plate out of inventory and drop it in front of the dog.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 09, 05:51:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, at first I thought this post would be talking about how toddler sims will eat the food from the pet food bowl if they aren't properly locked away. I didn't realize this until recently when I had a toddler that was kept in the main room (to be fair, these sims were so poor that there was no room BUT the main room*, with sleeping areas separated by those floor divider things) who kept crawling over and eating all the dog food. It got so annoying that I had them sell half their furniture so they could afford some walls and a door to lock the kid away until it grew up.  Undecided

*Okay, and bathroom.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 09, 06:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not just give the toddler its own bowl? Then you won't have to even get it bottles. I am currently exploring this as a feeding method for the baby controller.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 09, 23:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't pet food make toddlers sick?  That doesn't sound like a good idea.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 10, 00:52:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it doesn't -- it's perfectly fine for them to eat.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 10, 02:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it doesn't -- it's perfectly fine for them to eat.

I've seen my toddlers throw up after eating it. ...maybe something to do with personality points? Like sloppy sims digging in the trash.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 10, 02:14:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they throw up if they eat too much of it or something.  I've had toddlers eat pet food and not throw up, and it is a quick way to reduce their hunger without having to have a sim run and get a bottle for them.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 10, 06:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It does not appear that any obvious method exists in-game to feed animals people-food. I may consider implementing this as a macro-feature to automatically whip a plate out of inventory and drop it in front of the dog.

This would be fantastic! Right now my Sims only fill pet bowls if they are on power idle, which I rarely use. Clicking on the macro box to feed pets would be so much easier than trying to click on those tiny bowls. I'd probably train them all on people food just to avoid trying to find the pet bowls.

With the toddlers eating pet food, I've had some toddlers vomit and others not. Since I don't have a lot of pets in the game, I haven't had enough tests to figure out whether it is from overeating or whether it is from personality type. I'll put some food in the pet-less houses just for the tots and try to see if I can find a common denominator. I does up their hunger, and unless they have the throw-up fear, it is harmless to the toddlers as far as I can tell. I've also had some toddlers never touch a pet bowl, even when it is in the house available to them. I'll try to see if there is something those tots have in common too.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 10, 09:25:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not just give the toddler its own bowl? Then you won't have to even get it bottles. I am currently exploring this as a feeding method for the baby controller.

ROFFLE!

Augustin Burroughs talks about adults choosing to eat puppy vittles in Running With Scissors. Apparently the dog food chunx taste like meaty, nutty snax. I think I'll still pass, though.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Alie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 10, 15:23:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love this.  It's so much handier to just let the toddlers eat the dog food.  I thought it was gross, but I'm a convert.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 10, 16:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I'm a fan of the bottomless bottle.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 10, 16:28:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Toddler dog-fooding has been added to the baby controller. If a toddler Needs Food Badly and there is a dog food bowl in the baby controller room, and no parents are available to provide actual food, the toddler will eat the dog food.

BTW: Did you know that the "barf" after eating the dog food is merely a harmless animation and neither negatively impacts the toddler's motives nor satisfies the fear of barfing?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 10, 17:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you could get a recolor of the dog food bowl to look like it's cereal or something, it wouldn't be that gross...it'd be fairly realistic.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 10, 17:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't the pet food already look like the mush toddlers get fed when they're in the high chair?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 11, 04:14:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW: Did you know that the "barf" after eating the dog food is merely a harmless animation and neither negatively impacts the toddler's motives nor satisfies the fear of barfing?
Cool, then I'm a convert.  Will toddlers eat from the pet food dish from Pet Stories?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 11, 04:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool, then I'm a convert.  Will toddlers eat from the pet food dish from Pet Stories?
Yes. You don't really have to convert, the Baby Controller will now handle it automatically.

Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 11, 06:50:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had a sim who is eating at the table throw food from his plate autonomously to a dog who was hungry and would only eat sim food. The dog may have to be in the room at the time for that to happen though.

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 July 11, 06:56:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's be cool to see. I mean, that's how I feed *MY* dogs. I mean, honestly, DOG FOOD? Would YOU eat something labelled "PEOPLE FOOD" that came in little chunks of vile-smelling kibble? I THINK NOT!

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 July 11, 16:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen that quite a bit, and training pets to eat pet food only is first on my list, along with potty training. I suspect it has to do with the sim's personality or dog/cat's personality. Not relationship. I've had a dog's master do it and a visitor who hadn't really even met the dog do it. I haven't been playing with pooches too much (my breeder in Urban Paradise had the dogs confined to the kennel and yard) but have two now in-game. No table scraps yet to observe.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 11, 17:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't bother to train them to eat any specific thing. They seem happy enough to eat without being encouraged one way or another.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 11, 17:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You obviously haven't played those infernal Crittur dogs. If it weren't for 'controlPets on' (or whatever that cheat-code is), the damn things would have starved. I did have my sims train them toward petfood, but it took a LONG time, and until the training-bar goes from red to green, any pet will refuse a particular activity.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: