More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 06:47:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Does this make sense?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does this make sense?  (Read 117194 times)
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Does this make sense?
« Reply #125 on: 2005 November 03, 13:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

can somebody try to send me a pm on VS?  My sent items have disappeared (no I did not delete them) and I'm curious to see if I can still read them (I remember Inge having trouble viewing PMs after being 'accidentally' banned - sorry, put on read-only - sorry, disabled).
The following users were not found:
vecsta
 I tried and  the above was  the very quick terse response

Sorry I forgot to mention that my username there is vecki - never changed it like I did here.
I sent you a PM let me know if you got it at VS

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2005 November 03, 16:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the risk of posting what is no doubt an unpopular option, here's something we might try:

Mind our Own Business.

Ahh, so like psychodramas in dysfunctional families we're not supposed to make notice of the "elephant standing in the middle of the livingroom." Sorry, I just don't buy it. Even if I'd just been a member of VS I would have been disgusted by that CEP thread childishness and completely perplexed by the link blocking to this site. Seems to me that since Sims1 sites have been allowing links to each other in politeness to the gamer to be able to find what they need. This was even in cases where the site owners didn't exactly like each other very much, but they still behaved like mature adults. Most people are going to be looking at the behavior over at VS and saying, "WTH?" And since we're inquisitive human beings we're bound to talk about things that don't make sense.

I won't bother to PM Rentechd with anything. To me her pattern of behavior makes me feel as though I cannot trust her. I will gladly let my account fade away. But if she's going to get bent that people are speaking negatively about her then she should have chosen her actions more wisely. You reap what you sow. Even though I couldn't ever make an object I know emotional games when I see them and you can bet I'll call attention to them.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2005 November 03, 16:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems to me that since Sims1 sites have been allowing links to each other in politeness to the gamer to be able to find what they need. This was even in cases where the site owners didn't exactly like each other very much, but they still behaved like mature adults.

I agree. I personally have referred people to numerous sims sites, including those where I have beefs with people who run them like VS. It's no one else's fault if we have issues with certain people or sites and it's not fair to try and keep people from accessing files that will help them in their game for our own selfish personal reasons.

In the case of Vampcat, I think what he's doing is just plain stupid. Why would you want to duplicate work someone else did? As someone who occasionally mucks around with the game files in SimPE I can tell you it's tedious stuff and I sure as hell am not going to bother with going through that if someone else already did!

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2005 November 03, 16:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I In the case of Vampcat, I think what he's doing is just plain stupid. Why would you want to duplicate work someone else did? As someone who occasionally mucks around with the game files in SimPE I can tell you it's tedious stuff and I sure as hell am not going to bother with going through that if someone else already did!
I agree  SimPE while being a helpful tool  in getting into game file ect...it is tedious work  even just doing simple editing with sims.I use it as tool to create my own recolored objects in my game as well  and even though the object creator works very well it is still time consuming to get the cc package  in to the game where it will stick and look right.so as a  person who is learning the basics of creating  abd finding it to be tedious I personally wouldnt even think of recreating what someone else did its not worth the effort.I think Vampcat in spite of his claims to the contrary wants the acclaim Two Jeffs gets for his work.  Lips sealed

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
SharnaPax
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2005 November 03, 18:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First off, I rarely post anywhere, but I've been a member of all these sites from the start. If I have problems in the game, I quietly search it out and find solutions.

I did post once on VS, a rather profane little ditty, but I was tired of Rentech's attitude, and I was in my cups and pissed. Rentech did not like my post (wry grin).

I've followed all this melodrama with much amusement, the mods of VS holding their breath and stamping their little feet over the CEP...over JM...over anything with which they didn't agree.

Now for my somewhat petty little thought: I filled out that survey on VS, just for the hell of it. I didn't give VS very high ratings in its blatant attempts at "aren't we wonderful and just the best site ever?" questions. In fact, I basically said VS would be the last place I'd turn to for help. (An aside, now that TJ is here, I doubt I'll download from there...Rentech's poly counts on her objects make me fall over laughing).

I got an email from Pam saying I was one of 50 to fill out the survey, send her my address and I'd receive my gift in 5-7 days. I did so (I don't worry about spam in my real mailbox, that's easily handled).

It's been two weeks and nothing. I wonder if it was my crummy rating of VS in the survey? Or that one little post Rentech didn't like? Or laziness?

It isn't that I give a flying rat's ass about a PS2 demo; whether I'd use it as a frisbee for my cats or a coffee cup coaster is irrelevant.

Perhaps Maxis should know they might think twice about hitching their wagon to VS if VS isn't going to follow through.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2005 November 03, 18:28:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rentech's poly counts on her objects make me fall over laughing).

Oh didn't you know? Polygon counts don't matter at all. At least in the world according to Rentech.  Roll Eyes

Back in April or May I went in and polygon counted all my custom meshes (this was before it showed up in SimPE) and I was shocked at some of the huge counts I was seeing for even the smallest and most simple objects. I started talking about it at MTS2 and tried to create awareness of this issue and basically was like downloaders you need to know what you're downloading and creators you guys need to be mindful of these counts, the game isn't Poser and it has a lot more to deal with than just taking a still rendered snapshot. Then someone comes along and informs me that Rennie said that the polygon counts didn't matter at all. I was furious and felt like she basically was undoing all the good I was trying to do. So I went over there and ripped her a new asshole about it. Of course the thread got deleted. Surprise surprise!

If you are going to be an opionated and controversial figure online then you need to be prepared to take heat for it sometimes and be willing to listen to differing opinions and takes and if you can't take disagreement then you need to shut the hell up and not stir things up in the first place. Being a site owner does not give one the right to just delete every damned thing that you don't agree with. Well, at least that's not what a responsible, respectful site owner would do.

SharnaPax
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2005 November 03, 18:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Motoki, I followed your poly count arguements as well, and sided with you. Of course the counts matter!

Way back when I was taking classes for 3D Max, one of the first things I was taught was "let the texture carry you". There are so many ways to reduce poly counts that it's ridiculous for anyone to distribute items that are so freaking bloated. Again, it's either incompetency or lack of caring.

(And Motoki, I remember you from the Morrowind days. Yours and Rhedd's stuff were the ones I relied on.)

And again, I agree with you re responsible sit owners. I've hosted a few sites. One can be opinionated and controversial without turning diva and/or dictator.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2005 November 03, 18:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you the Lyric from the Sims site that has the nice makeups and natural blond hair shades?

If so, I love your stuff and gave you a plug in the "Where do you get your custom content?" thread. We should start a mutual admiration society. LOL

SharnaPax
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2005 November 03, 18:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I believe that's Lyran you're thinking of?

I don't upload my things anymore, I don't want the headaches. However, we can still begin that society, if you want, albeit one-sided! lol

wyrdwing
Blathering Buffoon

Too lazy to be social

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2005 November 03, 19:15:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the game isn't Poser and it has a lot more to deal with than just taking a still rendered snapshot. Then someone comes along and informs me that Rennie said that the polygon counts didn't matter at all.

When someone was accused for stealing a mesh none of the people on the forum seemed to understand the phase 'do not redistribute as a part etc' then they complained that there was no mention of it in the readme. It made me laugh.
The only way to scare people into doing low polygon counts is to tell them their game will crash and no one will like them anymore  Wink

VS kind of annoyed me because TJ just seemed to vanish into thin air... no post, no nothing... so the first place i came was here. It seems like they're taking out their frustration on innocent bystanders who are just curious to ask. Undecided
Things sure have taken a change over the past year  Cheesy
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2005 November 03, 19:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want your accounts closed @ VS, just change your avatar to a butt or something gross lol and get banned.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2005 November 03, 19:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want your accounts closed @ VS, just change your avatar to a butt or something gross lol and get banned.

Don't you mean a "server"? Tongue Sorry, I couldn't resist. I suspect we'll be beating that old joke to death for some time to come.
krynnwoman
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: 2005 November 03, 19:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't you mean a "server"? Tongue Sorry, I couldn't resist. I suspect we'll be beating that old joke to death for some time to come.

Damn! You beat me to it. I was about to post the exact same thing!
And I am very glad I never signed up for membership at VS (I tend to lurk for a long time prior to actual posting).

I believe everybody has a right to their own opinion and is free to believe that opinion forever (even if it's wrong) but I don't believe that people should go around blaming others for their actions. I would have more respect (not much but some) for Rentechd if she came out and said that she intends to force her own reality on her site and here are the rules everyone must follow. Instead, she's just crazy and not helping people who are just looking for help with their game (isn't that what the site should have been about?)

Even the night must fail/For light sleeps in the eyes
And dark becomes dark on dark/Until the darkness dies.

Soon the eye resolves/Complexities of night
Into stillness, where the heart/Falls into fabled light

-Hymn to the Dawn, Dragonlance Legends
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2005 November 03, 20:36:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't upload my things anymore, I don't want the headaches. However, we can still begin that society, if you want, albeit one-sided! lol

LOL okay. Wink And I know what you mean about uploading stuff. It was so much simpler with Morrowind. There were like 3 sites where you could upload your stuff and most of the drama stayed on the official forum. Wink

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2005 November 03, 20:42:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

VS kind of annoyed me because TJ just seemed to vanish into thin air... no post, no nothing... so the first place i came was here. It seems like they're taking out their frustration on innocent bystanders who are just curious to ask. Undecided
Things sure have taken a change over the past year  Cheesy

Actually, there was a goodbye thread but, yep, you guessed it. It got deleted.  Roll Eyes

twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: 2005 November 03, 21:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...That notice came about because rentech was upset that Witch posted here about the stupid survey and the PS2 demo CDs she had gotten from Maxis.

Oh. I posted on a thread that was already talking about the survey & the prizes. I merely added the comment that Maxis had had nothing to do with the survey, that it was Rentech's idea solely. I had read that Maxis had been firm that the demo disks were not just to be shared amongst staff, so I said that, yes. Hardly earth shattering stuff, quite commonsensical really. Oh God, I confess, I just wanted to clear Maxis' good name.

I did not however talk about the admin threads where bile spewing was common. I have not and will not report stuff that is personal or private or, quite frankly, revolting.

I know that (and I hope you know that I'm kidding when joking about everything being your fault), and I hope that Rentech does as well. But she took offense that someone 'spilled the beans' about the demo disks and posted the notice to all the forum owners about NOT discussing anything that is talked about in the admin forums. Then she turned around and did the same thing with something I had said. That is what pissed me off. I was just using what you had said to illustrate a point, not to say you did anything wrong. I don't think what you said about the stupid survey amounted to a hill of beans.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2005 November 04, 01:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

can somebody try to send me a pm on VS?  My sent items have disappeared (no I did not delete them) and I'm curious to see if I can still read them (I remember Inge having trouble viewing PMs after being 'accidentally' banned - sorry, put on read-only - sorry, disabled).
vecsta

Sorry I forgot to mention that my username there is vecki - never changed it like I did here.

Got it, thanks.  I've replied but won't be logging back in there - why bother?

Oh but I can't even change a single thing about my profile on there, not even my password, never mind changing my avatar or sig to something nasty enough for deletion.

<insert witty comment here>
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2005 November 04, 01:49:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

vecsta

Got it, thanks.  I've replied but won't be logging back in there - why bother?

Oh but I can't even change a single thing about my profile on there, not even my password, never mind changing my avatar or sig to something nasty enough for deletion.
ok  just wanted  to know if you got. hmmm I wonder if I  take an in game shot of one of my males naked ie the genital area since my sims are all anatomically correct with out the blur if that would get me deleted if I used it as an avatar

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2005 November 04, 03:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would probably be deleted even if they weren't anatomically correct. And still had the blur!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2005 November 04, 03:18:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...That notice came about because rentech was upset that Witch posted here about the stupid survey and the PS2 demo CDs she had gotten from Maxis.

Oh. I posted on a thread that was already talking about the survey & the prizes. I merely added the comment that Maxis had had nothing to do with the survey, that it was Rentech's idea solely. I had read that Maxis had been firm that the demo disks were not just to be shared amongst staff, so I said that, yes. Hardly earth shattering stuff, quite commonsensical really. Oh God, I confess, I just wanted to clear Maxis' good name.

I did not however talk about the admin threads where bile spewing was common. I have not and will not report stuff that is personal or private or, quite frankly, revolting.

I know that (and I hope you know that I'm kidding when joking about everything being your fault), and I hope that Rentech does as well. But she took offense that someone 'spilled the beans' about the demo disks and posted the notice to all the forum owners about NOT discussing anything that is talked about in the admin forums. Then she turned around and did the same thing with something I had said. That is what pissed me off. I was just using what you had said to illustrate a point, not to say you did anything wrong. I don't think what you said about the stupid survey amounted to a hill of beans.
Thanks 2Jeffs. I've decided not to go back there at all now, I suspect there is something genuinely wrong with Rentech, as Cabelle says somewhere, there are games being played and not very healthy ones at that. The less attention the behaviour gets the better.

To anyone, not just 2Jeffs:
I first thought there was something odd going on when a poster at VS asked about the identical baby syndrome. Rentech replied with a really weird reply - about parent genetics causing it I think - and that it was part of the game and to be expected. I know Rentech was around when Pescado explained the problem and created the random sim generator, yet when I posted a reply to that effect, (I didn't even mention Pescado) I just suggested the poster go into CAS and create a random number of sims before the baby was born, yet it was as if Rentech had never heard of the concept before, totally ignored my response and carried on talking as if her personal theory on identical babies was fact.

It just seemed totally off-beam to me, like when you talk to someone and become aware that they are discussing something different. The discourse is actually very manic, including the arrogant 'know-all' attitude and the speed at which it appears to be typed - demonstrated by the increasing error rate. (Edit: And the sheer dense impenetrable volume of the text).

This will hopefully be my last post about VS, I just want to state again that I have a concern about the woman's state of mind, I hope for her sake she is not having a meldown this public. I understand the staff at VS just want this to die down and go away but as other posters have mentioned it's damn hard not to notice the elephant in the middle of the room. I'm just relieved that posters on this site are mostly confining themselves to pointing and laughing.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 04, 03:29:38 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2005 November 04, 04:01:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The front page on VS is quite an interesting sight too at the moment. A nice little pat on the back to her 'pet' I must say!  Smiley

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2005 November 04, 05:15:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It looks like VS has picked up some new modders as well.  Has anyone heard of SixStringSlim and Kaliburr?  I've never heard of Kaliburr, but I know that SixStringSlim was on Livin' It Up.  Oh and there is someone named SunnySimSim.  It's weird seeing the other mods welcoming the newcomers to the site as though all is well in the world and none of this other stuff just went down, but I guess they are trying to move on.  I just don't think this stuff is going to go away that easily, and as we all know, if you don't take care of the underlying problem, it's just going to keep coming back up.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2005 November 04, 05:31:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...the arrogant 'know-all' attitude...

And that in a nutshell above all else is what has always bothered me about her. And I mean long before even VS was around.

I had always chalked it up to her being a total bitch, but perhaps there's other things going on...

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2005 November 04, 06:11:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It looks like VS has picked up some new modders as well.  Has anyone heard of SixStringSlim and Kaliburr?  I've never heard of Kaliburr, but I know that SixStringSlim was on Livin' It Up.  Oh and there is someone named SunnySimSim.  It's weird seeing the other mods welcoming the newcomers to the site as though all is well in the world and none of this other stuff just went down, but I guess they are trying to move on.  I just don't think this stuff is going to go away that easily, and as we all know, if you don't take care of the underlying problem, it's just going to keep coming back up.

I noticed that tonight. I can't help but worry about these poor guys. Do they know what they're getting into? Noooo because evidence is being stripped away as we speak, I'm sure.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2005 November 04, 07:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddysey, I think it is, does this stuff better, you know the 'double plus ungood' stuff, but this whole situation does feel really orwellian to me. Disappearing text, text which gets altered in the night and an undercurrent of secrecy on shifting sands. Threads here are helping to create a sense of continuity and reality, validating peoples' knowledge of things that have happened.

Spooky.

Edit: Motoki I read a fantastic book on bi-polar disorder, written by a woman who now runs some sort of large medical facility in the states. The author is a bi-polar sufferer who has chosen to be medicated by lithium in order to have a normal life and career, she grieves for the manic state though. She describes a manic state as almost godlike, everyone else is slow and stupid, there is an absolute certainty of being right. The world scintillates in crystal clarity. Then after a while everything spins faster and faster out of control. I've seen this with a friend, she told me it can be like very good speed. I wish I could remember the title and author of the book. The reason I mention this book is because it gives such an accurate portrayel of what it is like to live in a manic place, it has helped my understanding.

While I am in no way saying Rentech has a bi-polar disorder, that would be incredibly presumptuous to make a call like that about someone I hardly know, there is always a sliding scale to these things and some people are further along any arbitrary scale than others, in terms of what is acceptable behaviour. Her behaviour in this instance has upset a wide cross section of the sims2 community, from what I can make out, the behaviour is ouside the accepted norms for this community.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 04, 07:42:02 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: