More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 20, 01:44:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Gulliford - New Neighborhood - Updated, Picture Now Works
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Gulliford - New Neighborhood - Updated, Picture Now Works  (Read 10128 times)
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
Gulliford - New Neighborhood - Updated, Picture Now Works
« on: 2005 November 10, 01:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently started a new thread asking where to download terrains and etc.

Well I finally settled on one the other day and created a little town called "Gulliford." T'was going to be called Gulliford Valley, however I quickly realized it wasn't a valley.  Shocked

So far, I've only constructed the North side of town, which is the Downtown area. (I just noticed that it's completely backwards.) The north west side is mainly trees and a few parks and a vege-restaraunt. The north east side is the busy, bustling downtown area.

The Southside is the residential area (home to only a few community lots), but as of now is completely barren and empty. I haven't gotten around to adding houses.

There are two bridges, the West Bridge, and the East Bridge.

I've made a map (whew, it was tough!) of the NE side of town.

Most, if not all, of the downtown community lots were simply taken from Maxis's downtown area and placed within the neighborhood. I don't like having a separate nhood for my community lots, because it gives a feeling of separation.

More pictures will come soon as more property is constructed.

N.B. The "North" Station is a lot I got off the exchange that was originally called "Pelston Central Station." It's an ersatz train station. I placed one at either ends of the bridge just for fun.

Edit: The picture works. I just shrank it by 100 pixels and it seemed to save as a smaller file size. Sorry if somethings are hard to read.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 11, 00:01:27 by Kngidomapaloce » Logged

i pop that P like you don't believe
and if ya want me you won't succeed!
NaelisSim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Gulliford
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 10, 01:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Link msg is access is forbidden.  Sounds pretty serious.

NS.
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 10, 01:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sigh, lemme try again. I get the message too, but when I click the Go button it usually loads.

Lemme see if hotlinking is disabled.

Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 10, 01:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was disabled. Hmm.. not sure what's up with it.

JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 10, 02:26:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see it, it is awesome! What a great map!

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 10, 02:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks!

It took me a while! It's brand new territory. I experienced the life of a demograph (I think that's the offical name for map maker) in half an hour. Tough work.

Edit: Whoops, it's cartographer.

JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 10, 04:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well now the link isn't working for me either. could you use photobucket and put the pic in the thread the way I did?

~The Isle of Thyme~

Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 10, 11:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Photobucket has a low bandwith limit, so I tend to stick with ImageShack. But Image Shack wouldn't hold it because it was so large. I could put up a jpeg, it's just very blurry.

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
Re: Gulliford - Updated, Picture Now Works
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 10, 14:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice. I don't like having a separate downtown either, it takes too long to transition from the main neighbourhood and downtown when a sim wants to go out on the town.

Maybe I'm just impatient.

Instant gratification takes too long.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
Re: Gulliford - New Neighborhood - Updated, Picture Now Works
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 11, 00:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very nice Kingdom (I know, I know, I just can't bring myself to purposely type something that my fingers insist on being spelled wrong ;D). I haven't been playing NL for very long, I didn't even know that you could incorporate Downtown into one neighborhood.

See what you've done? Now I have to go and see how that is accomplished *sigh*.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 11, 00:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very nice Kingdom (I know, I know, I just can't bring myself to purposely type something that my fingers insist on being spelled wrong Grin). I haven't been playing NL for very long, I didn't even know that you could incorporate Downtown into one neighborhood.

See what you've done? Now I have to go and see how that is accomplished *sigh*.

All you have to do is build the lots in your base neighborhood. If you like the Maxis ones, just move them to the lot bin and then place them in the base neighborhood.

I believe - and someone maybe can answer this for sure - that the "downtownies" won't show up on the lots in the base neighborhood, even if it is a "Maxis" downtown lot that you moved.  That doesn't bother me because I delete all the Maxis townies anyway and create my own.
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 11, 00:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

VeilChen, to bring "incorporate" a downtown into your neighborhood, you need two things.

1) Lots. You'll need lots to place in your neighborhood, mainly community zoned lots as that's what downtown is mainly for. I simply went downtown and placed all the Maxis lots in my lot bin. Then, I placed them in the neighborhood.

2) Imagination. I say this because you have to imagine it as a downtown, and not just a sector of your neighborhood with a lot of community lots jacked together. Although, this is easy to imagine if you place downtown-ish themed lots.

And that's about it. And as a few others have said, Downtownies won't visit the lots. I'm hoping someone could change this or something because that's a real drag.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 11, 01:04:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All you have to do is build the lots in your base neighborhood. If you like the Maxis ones, just move them to the lot bin and then place them in the base neighborhood.

I believe - and someone maybe can answer this for sure - that the "downtownies" won't show up on the lots in the base neighborhood, even if it is a "Maxis" downtown lot that you moved.  That doesn't bother me because I delete all the Maxis townies anyway and create my own.

Thanks for the tip Simmiecal, I'll give it a try.

By the way, I do the same thing with the regular townies. I like my own sims much better than the maxis sims, even though the downtownies are not quite as bad (as a whole) as the townies. I have absolutely no idea how I got along without Inge's teleporter shrub, I use it to make the townies. How do you make downtownies? Does the teleporter shrub work for them too?

Edit: Oops, while I typed this you posted yours, Kngidom (hah, I got it right). Too true, imagination is very important. I just thought it was downtown that you turned into a neighborhood and downtown. If I remember right, you can build living quarters in the downtown area. Thanks, both of you :D

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 11, 01:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tip Simmiecal, I'll give it a try.

By the way, I do the same thing with the regular townies. I like my own sims much better than the maxis sims, even though the downtownies are not quite as bad (as a whole) as the townies. I have absolutely no idea how I got along without Inge's teleporter shrub, I use it to make the townies. How do you make downtownies? Does the teleporter shrub work for them too?

Edit: Oops, while I typed this you posted yours, Kngidom (hah, I got it right). Too true, imagination is very important. I just thought it was downtown that you turned into a neighborhood and downtown. If I remember right, you can build living quarters in the downtown area. Thanks, both of you Cheesy

Bah, humbug. The real name is Kingdom, the one I have now is just how some retardos like to spell it. (On occasion I've gotten "Kingdom Palace" and even a good ol' "Knignom Paloce") But that's beside the point. Yes, as someone also stated above, you can create living space downtown. Perfectly playable in every way. I just don't like the separate "downtown" area because it separates everything and creates havoc.

So now, I think I'll just settle with this neighborhood having no downtownies. I kinda like it. It's almost like playing without any EPs. But of course, it is required that I make a separate Uni location if I wish to send Sims to college. Ah well, that's fine with me, because going off to college kinda is going away and separating from your n'hood.

NaelisSim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 11, 01:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very nice looking downtown you got there. 

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 11, 01:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's good to know Kingdom. I actually had to go back three times to spell it the wrong way ;D

I will most definitely go and try the incorporated downtown neighborhood, sounds very interesting. I'm glad you brought it up. I'm also very paranoid about things that can 'wreak havoc'. Ever since I got the original 'jump bug' way back when with the original TS2, I get twitchy when I hear those kind of words connected to the sims game.

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 11, 03:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's what I did. I have a base neighborhood, Belle Terre. There is nothing in it yet. This will be my main storytelling NH eventually. I associated a custom campus, LeBranche University. I need to take some screen shots of that. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I have two "downtowns" associated with Belle Terre, Mercyville and English Turn. Mercyville will be mainly city, with a few miscellaneous lots on the outskirts. English Turn is more suburban but will also incorporate a few family businesses. I have one set up so far, O'Flaherty's Tavern. All except Belle Terre have a New Orleans feel about them, except for the mountains, of course. Wink

BTW, Kingdom, I like your NH. I like to steal lots from Maxis neighborhoods and stick them in my custom ones, too.  Grin
Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 11, 03:26:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's what I did. I have a base neighborhood, Belle Terre. There is nothing in it yet. This will be my main storytelling NH eventually. I associated a custom campus, LeBranche University. I need to take some screen shots of that. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I have two "downtowns" associated with Belle Terre, Mercyville and English Turn. Mercyville will be mainly city, with a few miscellaneous lots on the outskirts. English Turn is more suburban but will also incorporate a few family businesses. I have one set up so far, O'Flaherty's Tavern. All except Belle Terre have a New Orleans feel about them, except for the mountains, of course. Wink

BTW, Kingdom, I like your NH. I like to steal lots from Maxis neighborhoods and stick them in my custom ones, too.  Grin

Whoa... that's a lot of neighborhoods and downtowns and Universities... I'd never be able to keep up with them. I can hardly ever keep up with one!

And yeah, I nab lots all the time. I love building at times, but it's furnishing that I absolutely hate. It takes too long. I'd settle for someone furninshing for me. So long as all I had to do was change a few colors around to my liking. Furnishing an entire house can take a while for me.

I think I'll take a few homes from Veronaville to put in Gulliford. And maybe a new name for the town. I don't like it. >_>

JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 11, 04:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

King...you may consider Guilford? Gulliford sounds fishy to me. Literally. Fish gills. I also like to look for names for town and lots here:

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer

~The Isle of Thyme~

Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 11, 04:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't like it either.

It was going to be Gulliford Valley, which didn't sound too bad. Then I realized it wasn't a valley, it was an Island. So I shortened it to Gulliford. It fit for a while, with the whole "gulf" idea but now I don't like it.
Probably because my friend kept saying Rutherford B. Hayes over and over again, and Rutherford sounds exactly like Gulliford.  Huh

Thanks for the link.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 11, 06:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't wait to see what you do with a whole neighborhood full of stories, Reg.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 11, 09:15:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks really great!  Grin

If I need to upload pics I tend to use Imageshack. 'Tis free!

Baa
Nitwitted Nuisance

cat hair

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 11, 16:20:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks really great!  Grin

If I need to upload pics I tend to use Imageshack. 'Tis free!

Me too! It's a savior, way more better than Photobucket. I tried using IS at first, but the picture was too large, but I shrunk it and now it works!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: