More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 18:03:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Halp, it broke it's self! (Or, boot.ini woes)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Halp, it broke it's self! (Or, boot.ini woes)  (Read 8726 times)
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Halp, it broke it's self! (Or, boot.ini woes)
« on: 2008 June 06, 04:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please help me, I'm tired, and I at least need to get the files off my laptop. It seems boot.ini ate it's self, and now my laptop is constantly displaying this;

Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll
It is also giving me a message when I try to use the windows installer cd by just having the disk in.
"Invalid boot.ini"

I found this article at Microsoft. It's pretty much exactly my problem. I do what it says, but when I try bootcfg /list the disk can't find anything, and bootcfg /rebuild can only find the fucking Dell MediaDirect partition. This is useless. I guess a repair install would help, but I would like to hear what other people have to say about this before I do more stupid things. I'm going to try Dell tech support later.

Sad

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: Halp, it broke it's self! (Or, boot.ini woes)
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 06, 04:30:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have a Dell? That's your problem, right there. Wink I take it you can't even do one of those disc-scan thingies, because Windows won't even start?

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 06, 04:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MEH!
Nope. If it helps my install of Windows is like two months old, it is Windows XP SP3 (slip streamed install).

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 06, 04:53:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I'd go ahead and try the repair install. That's fixed a number of problems for me in the past. Then again, talking to Dell support could be helpful too (unlike me in this post).

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 06, 05:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kind of knew I was asking for comments like that by going with Dell. Tongue I have to say though, the build quality is much better than my old Toshiba.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 06, 05:15:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard/read that their products are getting to be better quality, and they do actually have very good support (usually). They also seem to have a lot more upgrades available when ordering from them. I know several people who have Dells, who are perfectly happy with them.

Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 06, 05:17:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please help me, I'm tired, and I at least need to get the files off my laptop. It seems boot.ini ate it's self, and now my laptop is constantly displaying this;

Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll
It is also giving me a message when I try to use the windows installer cd by just having the disk in.
"Invalid boot.ini"

*P&L at simsbaby*

Remember this? About SP3? But you were there for me, so I won't laugh as hard.  Cheesy I had to restore from recovery discs I'd made.
Fail to boot-- hangs on .sys file.
Fails safemode-- hal.dll is corrupt.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 06, 09:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idae what a "MediaDirect" partition is, but that is not supposed to be a feature of a proper computer. Therefore, something is wrong right there. I suggest physically removing the hard drive, connecting it by adapter cable to another computer, dumping the files, and fdisk/reformatting the entire mess.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 06, 11:35:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the problem is just the boot.ini, you can try to edit it manually. Normally the boot.ini looks like this:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It's probable your disk layout was configured with this MediaDirect partition before the Windows partition. In that case you'd have to change the "partition(1)" bit to "partition(2)"

If you're not sure, just boot up one of those linux LiveCD, and they will probably have a nice utility for displaying the disk configuration (along with a text editor Wink)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 06, 12:39:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idae what a "MediaDirect" partition is, .....

Often that's where they put the reinstall files these days. I've seen them named a variety of things. Many people don't get a physical CD or DVD anymore.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 06, 13:16:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Often that's where they put the reinstall files these days. I've seen them named a variety of things. Many people don't get a physical CD or DVD anymore.

Eh? What if the hard disk is completely broken, then? No physical Windows CD to install in newly replaced HD? People have to buy Windoze againAngry That's atrocious, surely they paid for it when they bought their computer.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 06, 14:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As long as the case has the serial number stuck on the outside, they can use any CD to install on a new HDD. It is just the inconvenience of not having one to hand for most. So they have to get the shop to do it. The shop would probably just put the pre-formated image back on. My ex is a techie and tells me these things.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 06, 14:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh? What if the hard disk is completely broken, then? No physical Windows CD to install in newly replaced HD? People have to buy Windoze againAngry That's atrocious, surely they paid for it when they bought their computer.

When the HD went south under warranty on my Dell laptop, they sent a new (bigger Smiley) HD out with a Windows install CD.  Though as Witch pointed out, most mass market computers have the Windows serial number on a sticker somewhere now, so really, you can use any Windows install CD.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 06, 16:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the help on this. I think I'm just going to get my stuff off, then format and reinstall Windoze XP SP2. I don't know if I'll put Dell MediaDirect back on. Even though it is not the direct cause of this problem, I never really used it and don't want to put up with it.

Can anyone recommend things I should do this time around? Programs I should have/install things I shouldn't install. Other forms of copy protection I should watch out for (I try to already use a NoCD.) Here is kind of a short list of things that are "must have" for me.

AVG 8 Free, Avast, Windows Defender (?)
DVD playing program (what works well and isn't bloated? I liked WinDVD 5.)
CCleaner
Daemon Tools
Firefox 2 with plugins, Thunderbird
Google Desktop (could live without, but it's nice to have)
iTunes (want to replace with something less bloated at some point)
Various Games  Tongue
That's not what Dell MediaDirect is, it's something extra that let's you start your computer up quickly. So without waiting for windows to load you can open files on your hard drive or watch a dvd. It is useful; I had this feature on my Toshiba and I know HP does it too. As far as the restore partition, I don't really know what came on that as I put a bigger hard drive in as soon as I got it.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 06, 22:49:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not what Dell MediaDirect is, it's something extra that let's you start your computer up quickly. So without waiting for windows to load you can open files on your hard drive or watch a dvd. It is useful; I had this feature on my Toshiba and I know HP does it too. As far as the restore partition, I don't really know what came on that as I put a bigger hard drive in as soon as I got it.

Oh yes, apparently my laptop does that too. I could supposedly listen to music or watch a DVD without booting into Windoze. Never used it myself. The partition it wants on mine is only about 8MB so I let it be.

You're right, it was a restore partition I was talking about, I blew mine away when I upgraded from Vista to XP.

Oh and, I've always used WinAmp for music, not the latest version which is attempting to act like Media Player in its confusing new interface, but one of the older versions which looks like a stereo interface.

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 07, 05:55:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh. I remember ye olde WinAmp. It was indeed quite shiny when I used it, worked well and easy to theme. I have an iPod (read ball and chain), so I probably will have to use the newer one, if it works with it at all.

Arcadia
Asinine Airhead

Go happily Google it.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 07, 07:14:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can anyone recommend things I should do this time around? Programs I should have/install things I shouldn't install. Other forms of copy protection I should watch out for (I try to already use a NoCD.) Here is kind of a short list of things that are "must have" for me.

AVG 8 Free, Avast, Windows Defender (?)
DVD playing program (what works well and isn't bloated? I liked WinDVD 5.)
CCleaner
Daemon Tools
Firefox 2 with plugins, Thunderbird
Google Desktop (could live without, but it's nice to have)
iTunes (want to replace with something less bloated at some point)
Various Games  Tongue

I personally think you should update to Firefox 3.  Tongue

[insert nonawesome signature here]
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 07, 08:47:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uhh no? A lot of the plugins that make Firefox for me aren't available for Firefox 3 yet. My mom has no problem with 3 though, and she love how the new features work.

Arcadia
Asinine Airhead

Go happily Google it.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 07, 23:03:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well most themes work, as well as AdBlockPlus. Foxytunes works too. Actually most of the plug-ins work with Firefox 3. For the record, I'm using it to type this post.  Cool

[insert nonawesome signature here]
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 13, 04:42:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I guess I should say that this is resolved more or less. I got Windows XP SP2 reinstalled, got my documents back, and I am going to get Dell to replace the touchpad and latch.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: