More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 22, 13:10:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  crappy paintings, apparently
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: crappy paintings, apparently  (Read 6458 times)
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

get a head of the competition...

View Profile
crappy paintings, apparently
« on: 2007 January 31, 06:11:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A few months ago I got both OFB and Pets at the same time, and a few days later I formatted my hard drive and reloaded everything onto the computer again, including Sims2 with all of the available expansion packs but no stuff packs.  I haven't bothered using the easel since then, until a few days ago, and my easels now seem to be broken.  I have no problem with starting a sim painting, and they can even start autonomously, but once they've quit they no longer have the option of working on the same painting again later.  The "continue painting" option is gone and the only option that shows up is "scrap this painting" even if they're the one who started it.  Since I only recently reloaded Sims2 with new expansion packs after a formatting, and since that means that everything in the downloads folder has been added since then, everything is a potential suspect.  Has anyone seen or heard about this before, or does anyone who knows how to build mods (and which flavor of them might be to blame for this) have any suggestions before I resort to checking each and every thing in my downloads folder individually?

Why oh why didn't I take the red pill?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: crappy paintings, apparently
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 31, 06:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Crammyboy's easel fix may be the culprit.  It's really Maxis EA's fault, because they stupidly flip flopped back and forth between the code and then back again.  This all happened sometime between OFB, then OFBp2, and then back again with one of the SPs and then probably yet again back with zOMGPETZ!  So... you'd probably have to read that thread to make sure which version you should be using.  I think he kept both versions around, because most likely, it will probably flip flop again. Tongue

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 01, 09:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem originates in the fact that originally, the author of a sim painting was recorded by Object ID. This eventually revealed itself as badly flawed, such as if a sim is reinstantiated due to deletion, moving, or travelling to/from ownable commlots, his object ID will change. In OFB, this was made very apparent as travelling to/from ownable lots and selling paintings was intended to be viaible. So they changed it in OFB to store by NID instead of object instance ID. Then ZOMGPETZ!!!111oneoneone, for no apparently logical reason, decided to flipflop back.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 02, 05:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have that problem on occasion and don't have Pets installed. Sometimes, if I have the Sim try again later the option to continue painting reappears. Weird.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 02, 06:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have that problem on occasion and don't have Pets installed. Sometimes, if I have the Sim try again later the option to continue painting reappears. Weird.

Probably because they sadorandomly happened to get the same Object instance as the one they had when they originally started the painting. Tongue

Ste

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 03, 00:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably a case of stating/asking the obvious, but did you click the painting instead of the easel? If you click the painting, you will only get the option to scrap the painting. To have a sim continue painting, you must click the easel.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 03, 09:40:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That isn't true in my game. In my game I click on the painting every time and am given appropriate options every time -- except once.

The one exception was for a CAS-created alien family with only one easel. Someone in that family started a painting, but when I tried to get them to finish it later every family member was only given the option to scrap the painting. I finally just scrapped the painting and moved on. I have never seen that glitch before or since. And it is entirely possible that one of their friends (made momentarily selectable for whatever reason) may have started the painting and so the option to scrap was the appropriate option for all family members. I never thought of that until just now.

Thanks, notveryawesome, I think you solved my mystery. Cheesy

Oh, wait, I had a point. My point was that in my game I click the painting, not the easel, and it works just fine.

(P.S. Inline editing does not work - and it is a major pain that it does not work.)

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 03, 10:38:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, I must have some easel-related hack that I forgot about, because 'Continue Painting' only works in my game by clicking the easel, not the painting. Oh well. I thought I'd mention it anyway, in case slurpeefiend had the same problem.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 03, 14:57:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use Inge's reservable easel you have to click on the easel itself.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 03, 16:54:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It happens to me even with the normal Maxis easel.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 03, 17:11:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My easels work normally.   Not sure about my Sims, who laugh and point in hilarity each time I have them paint and finish a custom picture of me, a family member, or my landscape. 

V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 03, 17:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use Inge's reservable easel you have to click on the easel itself.

*V promptly removes the just downloaded never tried Inge's reservable easel

Thanks for the warning!

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 03, 18:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't really a warning about Inge's easel, just info. I was the one who initially requested that object and she made it!  Smiley For the record, I adore the reservable easel and never use the Maxis one.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 04, 08:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Crammyboy's fix better.  I think it works with every easel.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 04, 10:08:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see that the reservable easels would be useful and I certainly didn't mean to malign Inge's great work. I have a folder dedicated to her stuff in my newly organized downloads folder. But I have never used the easels before so I am not going to miss them. I usually "reserve" the easels by letting the sims pick which one they want to use and then always have that easel covered with one of their paintings in progress. Trying to learn to only click the easel seems like an exercise in frustration. But I am glad that it works for you, reggikko. Grin

Miros, what about crammyboy's version? Do you have to click the easel or can you click the painting? As I recall the purpose for that one is that it prevents one sim from filling all the easels with unfinished works. I don't usually have that problem either...

*V sighs and removes her freshly downloaded CB Easel Fix.

Okay, I have got to get back into the habit of thinking things through before downloading.  Cheesy

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 04, 15:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I have to click the easel with CB's fix. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: